Dementeleus

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

On 6/10/2016 at 4:26 PM, Free State of Tele said:

91. 9 (2009)
9%20final%20movie%20poster%20Shane%20Ack

written by: Pamela Pettler, Shane Acker (story)
directed by: Shane Acker
starring: Elijah Wood, Christopher Plummer, John C. Reilly, Crispin Glover, Jennifer Connelly

Synopsis:
A rag doll that awakens in a postapocalyptic future holds the key to humanity's salvation.

One of just a handful of animated movies to make this list, 9 is a visually stunning movie that feels strikingly individual and unique. In this era of Pixar and Dreamworks and Blue Sky Animation, there are so many franchises that (no matter their quality) feel very much like a product of each company. 9 is based on an Oscar-nominated short film by Shane Acker, who managed to wow Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov with the story and visuals. They stepped on as producers and their combined clout was enough to get the movie made.

Elijah Wood is the voice of 9, a rag doll with that number scrawled on his back, who wakes up in a post-apocalyptic city with no real sense of who he is or what happened. He begins to explore and finds more dolls like him (also named with numbers) -- together, they form a rag-tag team to see if they can find out what their destiny is and whether they can save the ruined world.

OMG I SAW THIS MOVIE!!!! it was like hella years back so i dont remember much from it though lol

• Like 1

I'd like to open up this message by saying first of all, Thanks Tele for this great list :hi5:

As it has now been finished, I'd like to maybe, (try to) contribute 1 or 2 titles, just for fun, as a closing, uh, bonus...? 

I might not know much about the movies in Tele's list, especially classic American Cinema, but I do know some weird French, Italian, and Russian movies ;) 

Tele gave us Aleksandr Nevskiy by Sergei Eisenstein as #74, and although Eisenstein is a well-known director and often cited as very influential in the history of cinema, not all his movies are as well known as he is.

and so I would like to introduce potential viewers of this thread to another one (a two-parter) of his movies:

( copying Tele's formatting since it's more of a continuation, please don't hurt me :ph34r: )

BONUS: IVAN THE TERRIBLE PART I and II (1945 - 1958)

Ivan_Groznyj_poster.jpg

written by: Sergei M. Eisenstein

directed by: Sergei M. Eisenstein

starring: Nikolay Cherkasov, Lyudmila Tselikovskaya, Serafima Birman 

Synopsis:

During the early part of his reign, Ivan the Terrible faces betrayal from the aristocracy and even his closest friends as he seeks to unite the Russian people.

----------

I've had the pleasure to watch this movie in an optional university class on Russian Cinema, and although it's quite theatrical in its delivery, it's a formidable work of propaganda, which was, at the time, funded by the Soviets. Its historical context absolutely cannot be overlooked here as the movie was made to glorify an old Tsar of Russia (mirrored by Stalin in the present day at the time), and its production seeked to justify his rule by tapping into History and dramatizing it.

But they went to insane lengths to accomplish that. So insane, in fact, that I still can't believe what I watched was made at the time. It also helps that they employed the insanely-talented Sergei Eisenstein. If you enjoyed Aleksandr Nevskiy, then this is a movie for you. Without going into spoiler territory, let's just say they had the full backing, and support, of Russia's army at the time of filming. Sergei Eisenstein has been given credit for many things in his career, but I really feel like one of his most incredible achievements is doing what he did with this movie (especially part 1), considering the resources he had at the time. Ivan The Terrible is a historical epic which predated even the most famous of them, and did so on a scale that shouldn't have been possible at the time.

Sadly, Sergei Eisenstein passed away while completing the editing of Part II in 1948, and so it was both delayed because of that, and because Stalin banned it as it didn't portray Russia in a well-enough light for his tastes. It was released 5 years after his death. A short of Part III was completed much later on, but what it should have been had Eisenstein lived longer, we will never know.

The trailer is shit so I won't post it :ph34r: 

• Like 2

Some more under-appreciated/lesser-known movies I would have added if it were my list:

Angel Heart (1987)
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
Breakdown (1997)
Dead Man (1995)
The Driver (1978)
Dust Devil (1992)
Electra Glide in Blue (1973)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
Inland Empire (2006)
Phantasm (1979)
Possession (1981)
Salvador (1986)
Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

• Like 3

@Daxtreme and @The Stingray, awesome stuff. Dax, I almost included the IVAN THE TERRIBLE movies. If I made the list again, there's a good chance they would've gotten in. 

Stingray, BREAKDOWN and PHANTASM almost made it too. And there's a couple on your list I haven't seen. TWO-LAND BLACKTOP in particular is one that sounds intriguing and it's the sort of movie that would've made it on, assuming I liked it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Free State of Tele said:

@Daxtreme and @The Stingray, awesome stuff. Dax, I almost included the IVAN THE TERRIBLE movies. If I made the list again, there's a good chance they would've gotten in. 

Stingray, BREAKDOWN and PHANTASM almost made it too. And there's a couple on your list I haven't seen. TWO-LAND BLACKTOP in particular is one that sounds intriguing and it's the sort of movie that would've made it on, assuming I liked it. 

maybe you should do a sequel list

• Like 2