cannastop

What are the Top 10 Animated Features of all time?

Edit: List is called off. Not enough interest for short lists.

I'll get everyone started.

1. Princess Mononoke (1997)
  2. Spirited Away (2001)
  3. Akira (1988)
  4. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
  5. Zootopia (2016)
  6. The Iron Giant (1999)
  7. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
  8. Ratatouille (2007)
  9. The Incredibles (2004)
  10. Frozen (2013)

If I get 10 responses, I'll average everyone's choices up and maybe do a writeup for the top 10, a la BOT's top 100. Lists up to 15 choices are preferred. You can do a private message if you'd like.

Rules:

Ranked lists:

1. 10 points
  2. 9 points
  3. 8 points
  4. 7 points
  5. 6 points

6 and beyond get 3 points.

Unranked lists:

All movies get 4 points.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

Is this intended to be a "favourites" list or a "best" list? The two lists would probably look a little different for me. Not sure how well qualified I'd be to judge the latter, actually.

Either way, I'm probably going to decline making a list for now because there's a bunch of animated films I haven't seen yet that I'm planning to watch in the next 10 days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is this intended to be a "favourites" list or a "best" list? The two lists would probably look a little different for me. Not sure how well qualified I'd be to judge the latter, actually.

Either way, I'm probably going to decline making a list for now because there's a bunch of animated films I haven't seen yet that I'm planning to watch in the next 10 days.

Do it as your favorites. It's easier.

BTW, what movies are you planning on watching?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Do it as your favorites. It's easier.

BTW, what movies are you planning on watching?

The Incredibles, Toy Story 2 & 3, Princess Mononoke, The Wind Rises, Howl's Moving Castle. So definitely some potential candidates for top 10.

• Like 1

If I was going to go for historical importance/greatness, it'd probably be something like:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

2. Toy Story

Actually, those are the only two easy ones, because in both cases you've got clear historical precedent for their inclusion: the first feature length animated film* and the first computer animated film.

*This actually isn't true. There are earlier features, and The Adventures of Prince Achmed is probably especially worth noting as the oldest surviving feature. However Snow White was the first fully hand-drawn feature that was completed, AFAIK.

But what do you select from there? Clearly, there needs to be something Miyazaki, but do you go for his biggest (Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, likely, but maybe you make the argument for Ponyo) or do you select something earlier like Cagliostro, Nausicaa, or Totoro, because those set the foundation for Ghibli and his later career. And what about the other Ghibli directors? Does Grave of the Fireflies merit inclusion.

Further, say we need to note the importance of the Disney Renaissance. What's the inclusion point? The Little Mermaid is first* but what about Beauty and the Beast, which managed the BP nomination? And The Lion King's box office dominance? Which is the most important inclusion.

*Or is it? While the Renaissance is often declared to stat with it, the seeds of what became the Renaissance began much earlier, with Basil the Great Mouse Detective. In a way, it's probably down to which people are deemed most important for it being a Renaissance. Alan Menken & Howard Ashman, who started on TLM, or the directors and other people at Disney, like Musker, Clements, and Jeffrey Katzenberg. I don't know.

Does anything else from Pixar beside TS1 get in there? Finding Nemo, perhaps. I'm completely in the tank for Pete Docter, but are any of his films historically important enough? Up for it's BP nom, maybe?

Actually, what do we do for box office dominance in general. Shrek 2 is a largely mediocre film, but it destroyed records. Does it merit a slot? What about Frozen?

What else? Does Akira merit a slot? (I'd say so, but I could also see arguments against it.) What about films that had some not-quite-so-revolutionary but still very amazing technological leaps. Big Hero 6 introduced Hyperion, which is pretty amazing to behold and has definitely caused things. As great as the writing of Zootopia is, it wouldn't have worked so well if they didn't have the tech to pull off the worldbuilding.

And everything above is pretty focused on just two countries, the US and Japan. What about others? Even if a lot of animation talent has been focused in those two, there are plenty elsewhere. You've got films like The Triplets of Belleville (France) and The Secret of Kells (Ireland) that are making some pretty strong cases for inclusion, to say nothing of things further back. (Achmed came from Germany.)

And what about stop motion? Surely at least one stop motion film has to be considered historically great enough to merit inclusion. But which one? The Nightmare Before Christmas? Chicken Run?

Back in the 70s, there was a lot of counter-cultural animation. Fritz the Cat or something else Bakshi might need to be there. (Sausage Party certainly isn't the first to tap that adult animation well.)

So, I dunno.

It's probably easier to just get personal favorites, few of which would match up to historical importance.

• Like 3

A top 15 is going to be very hard, would a top 25 be too many?

1. Beauty and the Beast
  2. The Lion King
  3. The Prince of Egypt
  4. The Little Mermaid
  5. Tangled
  6. The Incredibles
  7. How to Train Your Dragon
  8. Toy Story 
  9. The Emperor's New Groove
  10. Mulan
  11. Spirited Away
  12. Ratatouille 
  13. Zootopia
  14. Inside Out
  15. Tarzan

16.Wreck it Ralph

17.The Lego Movie

18.How To Train Your Dragon 2

19.Big Hero 6

20.Robin Hood

21.Shrek

22.Toy Story 2

23.Frozen 

24.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

25.Pocahontas 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There's a Top 100 Animated List kicking around the forums that we did a couple of years ago.  Might be time to do one again

Found it:

10 is so limited and I could change my mind next week but I'd also  like to see The Little Prince & Kubo first

Yeah, I guess it would be nice to kickstart that. I'm going to be too busy to do a project that big, so I'll leave it to someone else.

Also, I'm declaring this thread a bust.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 0:56 PM, cannastop said:

Yeah, I guess it would be nice to kickstart that. I'm going to be too busy to do a project that big, so I'll leave it to someone else.

Also, I'm declaring this thread a bust.

I'd be happy to put together an expanded top 100 countdown thread if you were interested in seeing that :) 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@chasmmi

I've reconsidered it, and now I think that it would be cool to have the new top 100 animated features list in October. It's not going to be a busy month for movies in general, and we could use some excitement.

Ok then I will make a new thread...

well either later today or tomorrow at least :) 

• Like 1