Inferno (2016)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Inferno (2016)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My praise for Inferno is mostly backhanded, but such an outcome is about par for the course for a series that has always been propped up by preposterous hokum. I wasn't going to give this film a chance after how terribly Angels & Demons turned out, but the halfway decent trailers and the first 200 or so pages of the source material - a guilty pleasure from what I read - convinced me to check it out, and it surpassed my ho-hum expectations. Although the story makes precious little sense, it succeeds where Angels & Demons failed in that it moves quickly enough to at least temporarily gloss over its many plot holes, it's short enough that it doesn't wear out its welcome, and David Koepp's script has just enough self-awareness to make the increasingly outlandish twists a little easier to swallow. It does lose steam about two-thirds of the way in and delivers a somewhat underwhelming conclusion, but it's enjoyable enough as a whole to score a pass. However, as if anyone needed any further proof of Dan Brown's failure to write interesting characters (and, by extension, talented filmmakers' failure to make them interesting on the big screen), it's right here. Tom Hanks still floats along easily as Robert Langdon, but the character is still a flat one with barely any clearly definable characteristics. Felicity Jones does her best with a ridiculous role (she's a prodigy who is great at EVERYTHING!), but the script ultimately lets her down; nevertheless, there's still far more of a pulse in her performance than there was in those of the female companions in the previous two films. As always with these Langdon adventures, there's a big betrayal, and the "twist" in this outing is so obvious that I had initially written it off while reading the first third of the book, but numerous plot holes in the film make the identity of the traitor all too clear well in advance. Despite its faults, I enjoyed Inferno enough to give it a slight pass; while far from a great thriller, it's mostly enjoyable.

B-

• Like 1

Inferno is a surprisingly boring movie. The only memorable aspect is Irrfan Khan hamming it up in a blockbuster. The action is forgettable, the twists are stupid, and Tom Hanks is likable in a classic Tom Hanks way. There's not much to say about it really. It's a film, and it exists, and it'll be on TNT for years to come. Inferno is a forgettable film that's near impossible to write a review on, thanks to how unremarkable it is. D

Actually, let me be honest: during the entire movie, I was thinking about the World Series even though I don't give a shit about baseball. Probably not my best attention paid towards a movie

• Like 1

Inferno was a bumpy ride in First half but 2nd half falls flat. A big disappointment. 

Angels and Da Vinci was better than this. Irfan Khan was good in his role and glad that he had good screen time compared to his other flicks. But that couldnt save the movie.

Tiresome Watch! 

4/10

• Like 1