CJohn

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Grade It:  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Crap, Chewy and ddddeeee stole my bit about having two movies in one.

It was somewhat underwhelming. Redmayne brings enough charm as Redmayne, and the movie works best when focusing on his world and playing up the fantastical aspects of it. Whereas the Harry Potter series builds from whimsy to darkness as the series progresses, the hodge podge of it all in one movie really felt a bit off. Grindewald comes out of nowhere and looks like Elsa's child with Mortdecai. Miller feels awkwardly developed and his plot ends unceremoniously. The visual effects were nice, along with the nods to the world of Harry Potter and the 1920s, but as a whole, it doesn't have much to offer besides heaps of potter cash for WB.

C+

The movie was really fun and entertaining...however Yates have problem in maintaining consistency throughout...some parts are really good while some parts drags, looked forced and unnecessary...the forced romantic tension between Newt and Tina specially in the climax drags...they don't have that kind of chemistry...Redmayne was the weakest character of the movie and doesn't attract as lead...seemed to be in danish girl/theory of everything mode...in short Redmayne acted just like Redmayne and fails completely as character here...but Sudol and Fogler were ace...liked Farrell too (would love to see him again in sequels although I doubt his return)...didn't mind the climax twist but Depp's getup and act looked more on humorous POC lines than of threatening villain. But still it was fun overall and it was great to visit the wizarding world once again :)

A thoroughly enjoyable film that filled my Potter fan heart with magic. The visuals were stunning, the design of the Beasts was so creative and beautiful and the worldbuilding in general is fantastic. The main characters were mostly good. Redmayne, Waterston and Fogler were charming, but I wasn't a fan of Sudol's character. Colin Farrell was a solid villain, though the Grindelwald reveal was rather poorly done IMO and I really don't need Depp in this franchise. The ending was great as it was much darker than I anticipated. One of the better Wizarding World films.

Grade: B+

On 1/1/2017 at 10:22 PM, ddddeeee said:

I saw this again, still think it's a B- or so.

There seemed to be a few beats missing from Newt and Tina's relationship; the dramatic goodbye feels very unearmed. 

Maybe because I lost a close friend for falling in love in real life that I thought it affected me the most. :(