5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade JASON X

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Not much to say about this one, other than it was pretty bad and they threw this movie together to keep the rights to Friday the 13th, while they were working through all the mess to get Freddy vs. Jason going.

The story is the capture Jason and they use cryogenics to freeze him and the girl that helped capture him. yeah it was an accident with Jason trying to escape. Now it leaps way into the future where they come to earth and find the location and pick up Jason and the girl. They get dethawed, Jason kills people in space, he gets rebuilt as a machine basically, etc, etc.

For complete dumb fun, it is worth a watch, but otherwise, it is just terrible.

D

This is the Jason goes to space one correct? I think the only thing that saves this from being an F is I remember there was a cool kill where he freezes some girls head and then smashes it. Otherwise it's pretty dreadful D-

• Like 1

This is the Jason goes to space one correct? I think the only thing that saves this from being an F is I remember there was a cool kill where he freezes some girls head and then smashes it. Otherwise it's pretty dreadful D-

That's the movie :P

You know, back in the day, Jason was actually scary. He was a true killing machine that could strike fear in those that watched his films and worshipped him in some way. But as the films and years went on, something strange and unfortunate happened; Jason got incredibly bland and worse than that he became a cheap caricature of himself. Jason was once the epitome of fear, now he is just an after-thought. This is a tangential film that only bears the villains name to remind us what once was. And my advice to Sean Cunningham is to either stop making the Friday films all together or get back to the old formula or what was once remembered as a proud franchise that pioneered the horror craze in the 80's is going to sink under it's own ineptitude. And this is coming from one of it's biggest fans. Please, make it better.

Can you remember back to the early Friday's? Can you remember what made watching the films so much fun? It was the fact that first of all, Jason was scary but moreso he was also very phlegmatic, like Michael Myers was. He didn't take things personally, he just killed without passion. He was the ultimate killer. In the first four films, Jason was nothing more than a boy who had grown up to kill with an insatiable need for blood and corpses. Now the franchise has gone off on it's own little tangent and subjected Jason to a ridiculous folklore that just doesn't fit with who he was. Part 9 dropped the ball by inundating us with that stupid "special knife" story and a sister angle when all of us know damn well that he was an only child. Face it, unless you are George Lucas, you cannot introduce family members late into a story and get away with it.

So Jason goes to Hell with Freddy bringing him there but now he in space and he decides that he has to kill again and again and again but with no real passion. There is no stalking in this one, there is no desperation. All we have is Jason rounding a few corners and killing the next person that no one cares about. At least in the earlier ones we knew a little bit about who he was killing. Think Tommy Jarvis, think Shelly, think of Chris, think of Ginny and Paul and Rick and so on. There was at least a bit of character development to the people that Jason was slaughtering. There was also a legend and most of all there was atmosphere. And correct me if I am way off base here, but didn't James Cameron already take this premise and do it much better in 1986 with guys like Bill Paxton, Lance Henrikson and Michael Biehn?

There was one very well done scene in Jason X and that was when he is in VR Crystal Lake. Someone else commented that all of a sudden the film became interesting again when he was there. You could hear the music, you could see the cabins and the lake and suddenly that comforting feeling of Jason at Crystal Lake was omnipresent again. Jason X doesn't have the slightest idea of what it was that made the franchise so successful in the first place.

This is one of the lousiest films I have seen and I was sure that nothing could top part nine and eight as the worst Friday's but this one does.

0 out of 10

• Like 1

So f'ing stupid. While I was watching this today all I could think of is how this franchise went from slasher to sci-fi. I already liked the 2009 remake but watching this makes me appreciate it even more that Warner rebooted the series... Not sure if this is worse than Jason Goes to Hell, but it's close.

½*/*****, (F, 0.75/10, 0/4)

• Like 1

I remember reading a review of one of the many unused scripts for Freddy vs. Jason, where the reviewer asked the scriptwriter if he was high when he wrote this, because the script had Jason driving an ambulance and interacting with people. I would like to have asked the writer of Jason X the same thing, when he thought it was a good idea to turn Jason into RoboCop and send him into space..

Edited by The Stingray™

Nah, I prefer not to call people out online. If I ever meet him in person, he will be in trouble.

He's done good work though.  Drive Angry and My Bloody Valentine remake are really good screenplays.