Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

franfar

Blair Witch Project

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

There was a lot of hype and I went with a group of friends. We all hated it.

I remember the reviews were good...

 

But I just saw this

 

AUDIENCE SCORE 

 

Didn't know it was that divisive. I'm not really into horror 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, franfar said:

I remember the reviews were good...

 

But I just saw this

 

AUDIENCE SCORE 

 

Didn't know it was that divisive. I'm not really into horror 

 

 

And it was only downhill from there...

 

Same with the Blair Witch "franchise."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, franfar said:

I remember the reviews were good...

 

But I just saw this

 

AUDIENCE SCORE 

 

Didn't know it was that divisive. I'm not really into horror 

 

 

 

The divisiveness came back to affect the Blair Witch franchise just last year again. They couldn't make people nostalgic enough for this movie again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

And it was only downhill from there...

 

Same with the Blair Witch "franchise."

 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

 

The divisiveness came back to affect the Blair Witch franchise just last year again. They couldn't make people nostalgic enough for this movie again.

As always, waiting nearly a decade will piss away any goodwill/nostalgia there is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

 

The divisiveness came back to affect the Blair Witch franchise just last year again. They couldn't make people nostalgic enough for this movie again.

The Blair Witch Project was a movie most people didn't really like in the first place. As quick as it raised to the top was as quick as it fell to the bottom. I remember widespread reports of people demanding refunds after the movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah Blair Witch Project is one of the weirdest runs ever. I don't know how many really got fooled by the "real story" but even without social media the word got out pretty quickly that is false. The reason that movie went on to do crazy BO numbers was because "it was so real, some people thought it really happened, so I GOTTA SEE IT". So the buzz set unbelievable expectations and besides that the movie itself was one of the most experimental and out there projects to hit it this big. I was 14-15 when it opened in theatres here, months after it became a blockbuster in the US, and while it was also a big hit here because of the buzz, people absolutely hated it. Every big movie backlash that has happened since imo pales in comparison to the reaction BWP got back in the day. People were feeling nausea from the camerawork, asking for their money and wondered if something that looks like this is even a movie. 

 

Blair Witch Project was a movie that realistically should never had become a giant hit. At best it could have been a indie hit that would eventually find its cult following after it leaved theatres. But because of one of the most inspired marketing campaigns of all time, it did. And the mainstream was not prepared for it. It was so different from what a movie supposed to look like, some people wondered if the filmmakers were actually trying to prank the audience. It is still considered devisive, but its reputation have only grown in the 15 years since. And it will continue growing as a horror staple and iconic movie, despite the sequels failing. Not everything is supposed to be a franchise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Blair Witch Project was a movie most people didn't really like in the first place. As quick as it raised to the top was as quick as it fell to the bottom. I remember widespread reports of people demanding refunds after the movie.

 

So not true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Blair Witch Project was a movie most people didn't really like in the first place. As quick as it raised to the top was as quick as it fell to the bottom. I remember widespread reports of people demanding refunds after the movie.

It didn't have a 50% drop until it's 9th weekend (7th in wide release), so that statement is false

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, franfar said:

It didn't have a 50% drop until it's 9th weekend (7th in wide release), so that statement is false

It was a different time when having a drop more than 40% was seen as bad, unlike today. Wild Wild West that same summer had respectable-looking legs compared to movies today and no one would ever argue that movie was anything but reviled. It was a few weeks until the backlash fully kicked in, one could say it was felt the most when the sequel saw such an astronomical drop (even if in part because it was a gigantic piece of crap) the following year despite a huge marketing push and a timely Halloween release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It was a different time when having a drop more than 40% was seen as bad, unlike today. Wild Wild West that same summer had respectable-looking legs compared to movies today and no one would ever argue that movie was anything but reviled. It was a few weeks until the backlash fully kicked in, one could say it was felt the most when the sequel saw such an astronomical drop (even if in part because it was a gigantic piece of crap) the following year despite a huge marketing push and a timely Halloween release.

Perhaps... 

 

I looked at the top grossing horror and surprisingly, those movies held on, even with today's stigma against horror

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

It was a different time when having a drop more than 40% was seen as bad, unlike today. Wild Wild West that same summer had respectable-looking legs compared to movies today and no one would ever argue that movie was anything but reviled. It was a few weeks until the backlash fully kicked in, one could say it was felt the most when the sequel saw such an astronomical drop (even if in part because it was a gigantic piece of crap) the following year despite a huge marketing push and a timely Halloween release.

 

You're completely making this up.  It was not reviled.  I was around and very aware that summer what was happening with it.  It was a film that some loved and some hated.  The shaky cam stuff is more what turned people off, not the film itself.  If you go to imdb, filter the "loved it", you come up with about a third of the reviews out of the 3400.  And a lot of the reviews that hate it are those who have seen it for the first time in the last 5 years or so.  Yes, some hated it.  But there were a lot of us, horror lovers, who loved the film for the slow burn, the clues, the conflict with Heather and Josh and Mike, the....all the rest.  I'm not going to get into what is good about the film but I will vehemently defend it against bullshit posts like yours that throw a blanket statement out that it was reviled.  That's a flat out lie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, franfar said:

Perhaps... 

 

I looked at the top grossing horror and surprisingly, those movies held on, even with today's stigma against horror

 

Horror held well because it didn't open as high as BWP did.  The only one that did open that high during the 90's was Sixth Sense and we all know why the legs on that were insane.  The twist got people coming back.  The only other one I can find that opened that high and held better was What Lies Beneath.  

 

BWP had almost a 5X after opening to 29 million.  Hardly hated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, baumer said:

 

You're completely making this up.  It was not reviled.  I was around and very aware that summer what was happening with it.  It was a film that some loved and some hated.  The shaky cam stuff is more what turned people off, not the film itself.  If you go to imdb, filter the "loved it", you come up with about a third of the reviews out of the 3400.  And a lot of the reviews that hate it are those who have seen it for the first time in the last 5 years or so.  Yes, some hated it.  But there were a lot of us, horror lovers, who loved the film for the slow burn, the clues, the conflict with Heather and Josh and Mike, the....all the rest.  I'm not going to get into what is good about the film but I will vehemently defend it against bullshit posts like yours that throw a blanket statement out that it was reviled.  That's a flat out lie.

Relax, baumer. It's no secret that The Blair Witch Project was a very divisive film (even if it had a very vocal set of detractors after it became known it wasn't real).

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.