FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

I don't know how is the word of mouth for PR, but it seems to be really good here in Brazil. Many friends are loving the movie, and that's surprising.

They all say the same thing: they thought the movie would be shit and horrible. 

RT user score still at 82%, it seems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nova said:

If Life manages to make that much internationally, I'm sure Sony would take that and run with it at this point. It at least puts them in a spot where if they lost money on the film, it's not catastrophic or whatever. Probably just to the point where they broke even. 

Life's budget is small enough that no matter what it makes, it's not going to be a albatross for Sony.  I'm sure they wanted it to do well, but the 58M budget and perhaps the same in marketing, isn't going to cripple them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

IMO Jurassic World run was more surprising than TFA, BatB and even TA because it just came completely out of nowhere. With all of the others, at least some people expected record/close to record numbers from them, but not JW. That film shocked all of us.

I have to amend my last post to you....when JW was first announced, many here thought it would do UNDER 300 MILLION.

Have a read....this is funny.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Or reserving some IMAX screens before Life did.  Could've gotten to 50M.

Yeah,they made a lot of mistakes. Not being in IMAX,releasing it a week after BATB,not promoting it OS. Makes you wonder if Lionsgate really had confidence in it at all.

Edited by Momo

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Or reserving some IMAX screens before Life did.  Could've gotten to 50M.

Yeah, but PR would have made more sense in IMAX too, given that it's a brand, even if Life has the more interesting concept. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

Yeah,they made a lot of mistakes. Not being in IMAX,releasing it a week after BATB,not promoting it OS. Makes you wonder if Lionsgate really had confidence in it at all.

The movie had a GIGANTIC marketing campaign here. Lionsgate was only releasing the movie in the UK. They had nothing to do with any other countries.

IMAX also doesn't bump a movie from 40M to 50M, that is insane. It would have bumped maybe 1M or 2M if that.

3 minutes ago, Momo said:

I think Lionsgate not exactly being one of the major studios has a lot to do with their mistakes. They can't afford to give PR the HUGE treatment, especially with how they handle the overseas rights. They at least gave it a push, though. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

Just now, CJohn said:

The movie had a GIGANTIC marketing campaign here. Lionsgate was only releasing the movie in the UK. They had nothing to do with any other countries.

IMAX also doesn't bump a movie from 40M to 50M, that is insane. It would have bumped maybe 1M or 2M if that.

We were referring to both IMAX and regular 3D.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

We were referring to both IMAX and regular 3D.

3D doesn't bump 10M in gross either nowadays. 3D is only a good thing in Asia and South America nowadays. It is dead in Europe and North America.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

3D doesn't bump 10M in gross either nowadays. 3D is only a good thing in Asia and South America nowadays. It is dead in Europe and North America.

3D is such a farce.  There's nothing that 3D adds to most films.  I hate paying the extra 3$ for it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Exactly. Even Insurgent had an increase of 21% from Divergent with 3D.

It's even weirder when you mention Insurgence. It's not like Lionsgate hasn't released movies in 3D before. Oh well, at least they won't lose a fortune on PR's I guess.

Edited by Fancyarcher

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I have to amend my last post to you....when JW was first announced, many here thought it would do UNDER 300 MILLION.

Have a read....this is funny.

lol the board is chock full of these gems though

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

lol the board is chock full of these gems though

It's so much fun looking up old threads to see how wrong so many of us were.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It just weird that they didn't release it in 3D, considering how studios are still trying to push that format despite the well-known backlash against it.

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, baumer said:

It's so much fun looking up old threads to see how wrong so many of us were.  

Is it that time of the week where we bring up the Untitled Michael Mann Cyber Thriller Over 100M in China Club up or not yet? :ph34r:

• Like 5