Highest Grossing Summer 2017 Comedy  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the highest grossing comedy of Summer 2017?

• Snatched
    • Baywatch
    • Rough Night
    • The House
    • Girls Trip
    • The Hitman's Bodyguard

We'll see Fist Fight be forgotten by the end of the year and CHiPs possibly be remembered at the Razzies early next year. Going In Style and How to Be a Latin Lover will either follow a similar fate to the former or reach cult status before the summer starts (I'd place money on the latter reaching cult status), while a handful of comedy sequels will vie for holiday laughs after the summer ends. If there's a couple things to agree on, it's that all the comedies opening this summer have much more potential at the box office, they all serve as counterprogramming to some certified blockbusters, and the trailers for all of these films have reached varying degrees of success selling their movies. With that in mind, here's the rundown of the comedies coming out this summer in order of release and a couple reasons why they could succeed.

Snatched (5/12) - Amy Schumer's fanbase, Goldie Hawn's first film in 15 years, a mother/daughter based premise on Mother's Day weekend

Baywatch (5/26) - Dwayne Johnson's starpower and promotional sensibilities, hot male and female bodies, summer friendly setting, solid early word per Wells and Sneider

Rough Night (6/16) - Scarlett Johannson's first leading role in an R-rated comedy since joining the MCU, up-and-coming comediennes like Kate McKinnon and Jillian Bell, wedding season friendly premise

The House (6/30) - Reliable comedy team-up of Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler, up-and-coming comedian Jason Mantzoukas, promise of equal opportunity shenanigans from both genders

Girls Trip (7/21) - African-American audience an underestimated demographic more often than not

The Hitman's Bodyguard (8/18) - Two high profile stars known for their unique personalities paired up with each other, comedic send-up of the the Bodyguard with Kevin Costner, last comedy of the summer

Edited by Jay Beezy

49 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Don't get me wrong, it will do well - very well, even - but I don't see much more than $100m at this point.

Doesn't really bode well for the other comedies right now since Baywatch arguably has the most awareness, starpower, trailer views, social media activity, etc.

Edited by Jay Beezy

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The House: 130M

Baywatch: 90M

Girls Trip: 70M

Baby Driver: 60M

Rough Night: 50M

Snatched: 45M

I left Baby Driver out because despite a couple funny moments, it's pretty clear from the trailer that it's not a comedy first and foremost. If I included every movie coming out this summer with trailers that had funny moments in them, the poll would have *much* more on it.

Edited by Jay Beezy

51 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I left Baby Driver out because despite a couple funny moments, it's pretty clear from the trailer that it's not a comedy first and foremost. If I included every movie coming out this summer with trailers that had funny moments in them, the poll would have *much* more on it.

This is an Edgar Wright film. It's definitely a comedy.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is an Edgar Wright film. It's definitely a comedy.

Is the name of the director all you're going on? Because sometimes additional research says otherwise.

http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/23/baby-driver-edgar-wright-first-look/

“It’s an action crime film,” says Wright. “It’s funny in places but it’s not a comedy. It gets genuinely tense and threatening. That was actually a fun thing for me — to do dramatic or thriller scenes which just up the ante.”

There's going to be humor in movies like Guardians 2, Pirates 5, and Spider-Man: Homecoming, along with many others, but we don't classify them as comedies.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Baywatch seems likely to be the next Jump Street, but I can also see The House breaking out.

Both being rated R. Baywatch might have a big edge in the international market with the baywatch image and Rock's presence.

Edited by keroque
apostrophe missing