kayumanggi

THE BRIDE! | 10.03.2025 | Warner Bros. | Maggie Gyllenhaal directs | Christian, Jessie Buckley, Peter Sarsgaard, Annette Bening, and Penelope Cruz star

Just a few days after Werewolf Gosling was anounced. I guess Universal ressurecting all the aborted Dark Universe projects as mid to low budget modern takes with no connection betweeen them after Invisible Man's success.

I'm here for it, shared universes are so 2010s.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Just a few days after Werewolf Gosling was anounced. I guess Universal ressurecting all the aborted Dark Universe projects as mid to low budget modern takes with no connection betweeen them after Invisible Man's success.

I'm here for it, shared universes are so 2010s.

People forget the Uni Monster
Shared universe happened very late in the cycle and then was only for a few films.

The Uni monsters started in 1931 with "Dracula " and "Frankenstein" but the first cross appreance was not until 1943 and "Frankenstein Vs the Wolfman",

And once again I loudly cheer taking the franchise back to it's pure horror roots and stop trying to make large scales action films out of the uni monsters.

Edited by dudalb

So this isn’t a Bride of Frankenstein remake at all then… or rather, it’s an accurately titled Bride of Frankenstein this time (unless the last one referred to Elizabeth lol)

edit: using “Dr. Euphronius” as a copyright free euphamism for dr. Pretorius… nice to see Maggie’s still keeping some of the camp from Whale’s masterpiece in tact

Edited by TMP

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

If I had a nickel for every time a studio tried to cash in on a well known public domain story at the same time that Guillermo Del Toro was working on his own adaptation of said story, I’d have two nickels…

Universal made it's first Frankenstein in 1931. I would say it's Del Toro who is trying to muscle in on someone else's established territory.

But that is the risk with public domian charecters. Anybody can show up and compete with you.

3 hours ago, TMP said:

So this isn’t a Bride of Frankenstein remake at all then… or rather, it’s an accurately titled Bride of Frankenstein this time (unless the last one referred to Elizabeth lol)

edit: using “Dr. Euphronius” as a copyright free euphamism for dr. Pretorius… nice to see Maggie’s still keeping some of the camp from Whale’s masterpiece in tact

I would love for them to do the bit where the actress playing the Bride does a  prologue where she plays Mary Shelley....

BTW Bride Of Frankenstein is a better movie in almost every way then the first "Frankenstein".

Edited by dudalb

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Universal made it's first Frankenstein in 1931. I would say it's Del Toro who is trying to muscle in on someone else's established territory.

But that is the risk with public domian charecters. Anybody can show up and compete with you.

What? I know how public domain works. I’m aware that anyone is allowed to make a Frankenstein movie. You’re not telling me anything I didn’t already know. I was using a Phineas and Ferb meme to reference the fact that Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio also came out around the same time as several other Pinocchio movies. I was making a joke. 

Edited by WittyUsername

On 2/9/2024 at 5:53 PM, AMCTheater2000 said:

Same as the trades recently "riffing" on Luc Besson's DRACULA, for which they claimed that Besson would "revisit the original love story of the tale, with Prince Vlad and his long-lost love" which of course had nothing to do with the original Bram Stoker novel -- similarly here, the trades are now seemingly employed with lesser-educated culturally hollow writers (and editors) who don't know how to describe the Frankenstein story -- referring to Bale's character as "Frankenstein"...when it sounds more like he is playing "the monster"??  "Frankenstein's monster"??  Come on, folks...do a little literary refreshing if you're going to constantly revisit these properties...

Oh well, at least Warners now has the next-best thing to a Batman project in their Batman-less October slot... one of their most popular former Batmen coming back for one of the most famous stories ever told...

Edited by Macleod

15 hours ago, Macleod said:

Same as the trades recently "riffing" on Luc Besson's DRACULA, for which they claimed that Besson would "revisit the original love story of the tale, with Prince Vlad and his long-lost love" which of course had nothing to do with the original Bram Stoker novel -- similarly here, the trades are now seemingly employed with lesser-educated culturally hollow writers (and editors) who don't know how to describe the Frankenstein story -- referring to Bale's character as "Frankenstein"...when it sounds more like he is playing "the monster"??  "Frankenstein's monster"??  Come on, folks...do a little literary refreshing if you're going to constantly revisit these properties...

Oh well, at least Warners now has the next-best thing to a Batman project in their Batman-less October slot... one of their most popular former Batmen coming back for one of the most famous stories ever told...

An angle which Francis COppola did in his 1992 version of Dracula......

• Like 1