CJohn

The Hunger Games OS thread: 258M Total

I still predicted 250m when THG's buzz was blowing up domestically. It's hard to get overseas people buzzed about an unknown property unless you have a big marketing platform and Lionsgate didn't do that. I think Catching fire could potentially double THG overseas.

250m is a lot less then what I was predicting a month ago. Does this have potential for big numbers from china?

Then your expectations were too high. 250M-odd is pretty good IMO. It's about what I expected. Edited by Magic

It's an unknown property and it was only really taking off in the US so some of those predictions didn't make any sense. Brand recognition is a huge thing for OS audiences. It was always obvious that it would do ok numbers OS and increase with the sequel. New Moon already had brand recognition with OS audiences from the first film so comparing THG to a sequel is asking too much. It's going to beat the first Twilight's numbers OS. Catching Fire's OS numbers should be compared to New Moon's.

He won't be released there, it's a story about people fighting a tyranny, Chinese officials won't accept it.Forget.

The reason Chinese may not allow it, is that they maintain a quota of only 20 or 30 foreign movies every year, and they try to pick the most lucrative ones.There is no guarantee THG will do well with Chinese audiences.

The reason Chinese may not allow it, is that they maintain a quota of only 20 or 30 foreign movies every year, and they try to pick the most lucrative ones.There is no guarantee THG will do well with Chinese audiences.

They changed that this year, they will accept much more US movies this year (US-China agreement).