baumer

It Comes at Night (2017)

Grade it  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The entire time I was watching this I thought it was Michael Shannon.  After I found out it was Joel Edgerton, I was thinking about the movie and still was thinking it was Michael Shannon.  It has been about 6 hours since the movie has ended and I am trying to adjust to it being Joel Edgerton.  87.5% - B

I don't even know how to grade this because the ending pissed me off so badly. One of the most pointless movies I've seen of the year. All the awesome camera angles, great acting and amazing atmosphere is completely wasted on a story that goes absolutely nowhere and shows you virtually nothing.

I made it a point to not watch a single trailer before seeing this because I wanted to be surprised with whatever horror elements it had in it....but there were very little. Unlike "The Monster", this doesn't show you shit. If you want to see actors gasping at something they think is terrifying this is the movie for you! I thought they would eventually reveal something...anything...and they never did outside of the old black man with blood running out of his mouth.

I like movies about pandemics/epidemics and have watched a lot of indie art house type films like this but none have felt this pointless with a message that I haven't heard 1,000 times before. People can't be trusted in a post apocalyptic setting and would be extremely paranoid. They are only out for their own survival and their loved ones. Yeah no shit movie! Shows like The Walking Dead go over this theme every fucking week!

This movie doesn't even show you the kid being sick. It doesn't give a reasoning for Paul not letting the other family just go instead of causing a huge problem when it was already too late...it just rushes right through all of that to get to the credits.

I haven't watched a film where my opinion on it changed in the span of a few minutes. It felt like the story was going to keep going, that things might actually come together!....nope, the grandfather dies, the dog dies, the whole other family dies, the son dies and then the father and wife stare at each other clearly infected....and they are going to die too.

The end. 

This movie is like walking through a haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights when most of the cast members have gone home. All you're left with is a bunch of empty rooms and a finale that wasn't close to being worth the 90 minute wait. The tension builds and builds and builds...and you think it's going to pay off and lead somewhere and then you see the exit door up ahead. Once you get outside you look around in confusion..."Huh?! Wait that was it? Well that fucking sucked."

What a massive letdown and a waste of time and money.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, baumer said:

I too don't know how to grade this.  The movie I went to see based on the  marketing is not the movie I saw.

Yeah the fact that I'm still angry about going to the theaters to see this says a lot. If they advertised it as what it was, I would not have. I've seen plenty of those movies and easily could have waited (the last one being Into The Forest). I just expected a horror movie and it wasn't even that. It wasn't even a psychological horror movie like Jacobs Ladder or The Neon Demon or Personal Shopper.

It was yet another prepper survival thriller sprinkled with bad dreams. It had no point because it ended up exactly where it started (except now they're all dead) and had nothing unique to say in between all it's flashiness to make it even worthwhile.

Fuck this movie and fuck the marketing team for selling it like that. I did watch the trailers last night after seeing it and the conjob they pulled is messed up.

• Like 3

This movie doesn't even show you the kid being sick. It doesn't give a reasoning for Paul not letting the other family just go instead of causing a huge problem when it was already too late...it just rushes right through all of that to get to the credits.

Paul is completely paranoid at that point (and that why they survived) and the movie give their reasoning of why he and is wife cannot let them go, they know were they live, they know about their setup (solar panel, water purifying gear, good water source near by, gazoline, working truck, etc...) and when they will go back in survival trouble (last time was lack of water) they will come here and try to take it out of despair or if they are really sick, could be right away while being sick.

Really love it (but I was spoiled to not expect anything to come at night by this message board and didn't look at the trailers, so I didn't had any expectation).

Quite similar to the Witch, but with a different paranoia and without character arc.

• Like 1

It Comes at Night is a very intriguing film. Joel Edgerton puts forward an excellent performance, and the film is brimming with atmosphere galore and beautiful cinematography. Unfortunately, its themes are explored at a cursory level at best, and there's little to no pay-off in the third act. Thus, it all just feels like a waste of time at the end, even if the journey there captures the mind well. It Comes at Night ends up sadly being quite average, despite having the building blocks to be something truly special. C+

On 6/9/2017 at 1:31 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Image result for beautiful gif

I could not help but notice your reaction to this movie when it first came out.  I was on my phone looking at early Friday reports and I had just caught an early bird for this and noticed you must have done the same thing too as you were posting raves.  Usually BOT members see the films right away and post grades.  Anyways, I was doing some catching up on an old 2013 film tonight and when I finished, I came to this section of the forums to see the opinions.  Since you were one of the few who put an "A" grade for It Comes At Night, I feel compelled to ask you if you saw this and have an opinion?

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/12440-the-counselor-2013/?page=3

4 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I could not help but notice your reaction to this movie when it first came out.  I was on my phone looking at early Friday reports and I had just caught an early bird for this and noticed you must have done the same thing too as you were posting raves.  Usually BOT members see the films right away and post grades.  Anyways, I was doing some catching up on an old 2013 film tonight and when I finished, I came to this section of the forums to see the opinions.  Since you were one of the few who put an "A" grade for It Comes At Night, I feel compelled to ask you if you saw this and have an opinion?

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/12440-the-counselor-2013/?page=3

I haven't seen The Counselor, but plenty on here "rave" about it :lol: 

More terrifying, unsettling than ‘true’ horror movies featuring scary monsters, psycho killers,  possessed people or zombies.

Shults does what every director doing these sort of movies should do, he creates this intoxicating atmosphere around a terrifyingly realistic scenario, where the point is the psychological drama, and not gore or scares.

I see a bright future for him after Krisha and now this.

9/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Even if it isn't necessarily the horror film everyone hoped it would be, the film still knocks it out of the park by creating an extremely tense and terrifying experience that had me on the edge of my seat when the climax rolled around. One of last year's best films.

9/10

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1