Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Rambo

Rambo: First Blood Part II

Recommended Posts

Released during summer of 1985 and Stallone was on the verge of being the no 1 star a few months later after this with Rocky 4 due for release!

Pretty sure the first one was very well received which led to huge increase in its domestic gross more than 3 times of 47M grossed by First Blood. Whereas OS had comparatively lesser than 2x increase with 78M for the first and 150 for the 2nd one! 

Discuss! :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Truly a phenomenal run, Sylvester Stallone highest grossing film and his last film to gross over 100m until the expendables. 

Didnt this film also break the opening weekend record? 

Does anyone know why Rambo III declined so much from this one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Truly a phenomenal run, Sylvester Stallone highest grossing film and his last film to gross over 100m until the expendables. 

Didnt this film also break the opening weekend record? 

Does anyone know why Rambo III declined so much from this one? 

Rambo 3 grossed 53M DOM and 135M OS

Rambo 2 grossed 150 Dom and 150 OS

Rambo 1 grossed 47 Dom and 78 OS

Rambo 3 had solid gross OS but still declined by 10% when compared to Rambo 2! It had terrific run in Japan by grossing 3.80 billion yen ($28.8 million). Rambo 2 was well received but not as much as first blood which might be one reason why rambo 3 declined.

Rocky 4 was his last 100m movie at US BO. Rambo released in May 1985 and Rocky 4 during Oct/Nov 1985! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2017-6-16 at 4:07 AM, Maxmoser3 said:

Stallone' last big hits for a while 

 

Cliffhanger came out 8 years later and did 255 WW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, baumer said:

 

Cliffhanger came out 8 years later and did 255 WW.

Yep. 1993 was his most successful year for a while. The Specialist was a hit in '94, but it took a bit after that to make a comeback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2017 at 7:43 AM, Maxmoser3 said:

Yep. 1993 was his most successful year for a while. The Specialist was a hit in '94, but it took a bit after that to make a comeback.

Starting from 1980s he had following good years:

1982, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989 (Last 88,89 partially) 93 and 94.

Im pretty much interested to know about Rambo 2 OS grosses tried very hard to get it but failed :( 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Starting from 1980s he had following good years:

1982, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989 (Last 88,89 partially) 93 and 94.

Im pretty much interested to know about Rambo 2 OS grosses tried very hard to get it but failed :( 

 

1988, Rambo III saw overseas success. '89 Lock Up bombed, and Tango & Cash did ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22.6.2017 at 7:56 AM, John Rambo said:

Starting from 1980s he had following good years:

1982, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989 (Last 88,89 partially) 93 and 94.

Im pretty much interested to know about Rambo 2 OS grosses tried very hard to get it but failed :( 

 

That would indeed be very interesting. I found only some data for Germany. The film was #4 of the year '85 (behind two German comedies and Back to the Future, in front of Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters and Police Academy 2) and had 4.065.315 admissions.
Unfortunately I don't know how expensive the tickets were back then. I guessed 5 DM (Deutsche Mark) but an older friend said it was more like 8-9 DM but wasn't sure herself. I searched for a chart of the tickets price development in Germany but they start much later.
 

To my surprise Rambo/First Blood was also already in the Top 10 of the year '83. It was #8 and had 2.412.191 admissions, a much higher number than I thought. Probably the US or worldwide(?) WOM helped because this is 4x the admissions of Rocky III which started here in November '82, so two month before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2017 at 2:41 AM, Maxmoser3 said:

1988, Rambo III saw overseas success. '89 Lock Up bombed, and Tango & Cash did ok.

Tango Dom gross was 63M which looks okay for a buddy cop comedy with a prodn budget of 55M.

Im not able to get OS gross for this particular movie, though im pretty sure it would have opened in 1990 oly (opened state side on December 1989).

In other forum some one said it grossed 120M WW which means 57M OS which was very less for stallone a min of 80-90 is respectable for this one! If the gross is 120 then its a rare phenomenon for stallone to have Dom gross greater than OS!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2017 at 11:04 PM, el sid said:

That would indeed be very interesting. I found only some data for Germany. The film was #4 of the year '85 (behind two German comedies and Back to the Future, in front of Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters and Police Academy 2) and had 4.065.315 admissions.
Unfortunately I don't know how expensive the tickets were back then. I guessed 5 DM (Deutsche Mark) but an older friend said it was more like 8-9 DM but wasn't sure herself. I searched for a chart of the tickets price development in Germany but they start much later.
 

To my surprise Rambo/First Blood was also already in the Top 10 of the year '83. It was #8 and had 2.412.191 admissions, a much higher number than I thought. Probably the US or worldwide(?) WOM helped because this is 4x the admissions of Rocky III which started here in November '82, so two month before.

Wow, this is interesting Stallone was strong in Germany.

So u mean Rocky 3 had 600,000 admissions in germany

??? which sounds less for a movie which grossed 270m WW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Wow, this is interesting Stallone was strong in Germany.

So u mean Rocky 3 had 600,000 admissions in germany

??? which sounds less for a movie which grossed 270m WW.

Yes, that's right. Rocky 3 (released in November '82) had „only“ 580.880 total admissions. The first two Rocky films had even much lower numbers. I read that the soundtrack, especially „Eye of the Tiger“, helped to cause interest back then. Also the film had the title „Das Auge des Tigers“/“The Eye of the Tiger" ;).
These in comparison low numbers of Rocky 3 was the reason why I was so sursprised of the big increase of Rambo/First Blood. I guess because it started eleven weeks later in Germany than in the USA people already heard some good things about that film. Plus I think it had good reviews here (but even that's hard to figure out because many reviews are written in recent years). And I read that there were protests against First Blood, probably that caused some additional attention. The film is still well liked here. All four Rambo movies are. Almost everytime they're on TV, also on big(ger) TV-stations, they have really good TV-ratings in all age groups.


I found the number of admissions of Rambo III on its first weekend: 629.940 moviegoers (so a multiplier of around 4). But unfortunately not for the first two Rambo movies. It would be so interesting to see which multiplier they had. Probably very high ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, el sid said:

Yes, that's right. Rocky 3 (released in November '82) had „only“ 580.880 total admissions. The first two Rocky films had even much lower numbers. I read that the soundtrack, especially „Eye of the Tiger“, helped to cause interest back then. Also the film had the title „Das Auge des Tigers“/“The Eye of the Tiger" ;).
These in comparison low numbers of Rocky 3 was the reason why I was so sursprised of the big increase of Rambo/First Blood. I guess because it started eleven weeks later in Germany than in the USA people already heard some good things about that film. Plus I think it had good reviews here (but even that's hard to figure out because many reviews are written in recent years). And I read that there were protests against First Blood, probably that caused some additional attention. The film is still well liked here. All four Rambo movies are. Almost everytime they're on TV, also on big(ger) TV-stations, they have really good TV-ratings in all age groups.


I found the number of admissions of Rambo III on its first weekend: 629.940 moviegoers (so a multiplier of around 4). But unfortunately not for the first two Rambo movies. It would be so interesting to see which multiplier they had. Probably very high ones.

Sounds interesting :) Thanks for the info!!! 

Any idea on how Cobra, Tango and Cash, Demolition Man, The Specialist, Daylight performed in Germany? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Sounds interesting :) Thanks for the info!!! 

Any idea on how Cobra, Tango and Cash, Demolition Man, The Specialist, Daylight performed in Germany? 

 

So, that was easier to find:

Cobra: #10 of the year ('86) and 1.751.777 total admissions.
Tango & Cash: #21 ('90) and 1.198.570. Exactly behind Rocky V (1.237.734) and six places above Lock Up (1.072.121).
Demolition Man: #17 ('93) and 2.031.758. Thereof 575.633 moviegoers in the first week. Six places behind Cliffhanger (#11 of the year) which had 2.262.396.
The Specialist: #25 ('94) and 1.237.817. I didn't know that it made 170M WW.
Daylight: #36 ('97) and 1.165.917.


Not one film under 1M – very solid! Even „Stop! Or My Mum Will Shoot!“ had over 1M admissions 1992 ;).
I like to report and found it interesting to look up the numbers but if you want to search quickly for a film my source is insidekino.de (in the headline → Box Office D → JAHRES & ALL-TIME CHARTS). It starts 1966 and is pretty detailed since the late 70ies/early 80ies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2017 at 10:14 PM, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Does anyone know why Rambo III declined so much from this one? 

 

No particular hindsight, but it is a similar drop to godfather 1 to godfather 2.

 

Sequel huge drop were not that uncommon.

 

Rocky 4 in 1990 would also have a massive drop, I would imagine that those movie were driven a lot by Stallone massive star powers that went from biggest in the world in the early/mid 80's to much smaller in the late 80's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, el sid said:

So, that was easier to find:

Cobra: #10 of the year ('86) and 1.751.777 total admissions.
Tango & Cash: #21 ('90) and 1.198.570. Exactly behind Rocky V (1.237.734) and six places above Lock Up (1.072.121).
Demolition Man: #17 ('93) and 2.031.758. Thereof 575.633 moviegoers in the first week. Six places behind Cliffhanger (#11 of the year) which had 2.262.396.
The Specialist: #25 ('94) and 1.237.817. I didn't know that it made 170M WW.
Daylight: #36 ('97) and 1.165.917.


Not one film under 1M – very solid! Even „Stop! Or My Mum Will Shoot!“ had over 1M admissions 1992 ;).
I like to report and found it interesting to look up the numbers but if you want to search quickly for a film my source is insidekino.de (in the headline → Box Office D → JAHRES & ALL-TIME CHARTS). It starts 1966 and is pretty detailed since the late 70ies/early 80ies.

Thanks alot for the info :)  This proves Stallone was a genuine draw in Germany! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Truly a phenomenal run, Sylvester Stallone highest grossing film and his last film to gross over 100m until the expendables. 

Didnt this film also break the opening weekend record? 

Does anyone know why Rambo III declined so much from this one? 

I've read elsewhere that the character was simply no longer popular domestically by the time the third film rolled round. Both Rambo and Rocky sequels in '85 benefited from the spirit of patriotism that was in the air that year and come '88 that was no longer there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2017 at 8:25 PM, Baerrt said:

I've read elsewhere that the character was simply no longer popular domestically by the time the third film rolled round. Both Rambo and Rocky sequels in '85 benefited from the spirit of patriotism that was in the air that year and come '88 that was no longer there.

I feel that First Blood was well received and it wasn't typical action movie, whereas the Rambo II released with the popularity of Stallone and goodwill of the first movie which led to significant increase in BO collections in USA.

 

Rambo III had the usual sequel drop as the 2nd one received mixed reviews/Negative reviews from critics and Stallone was no longer big in USA. 

 

This what i feel after going through his filmography.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.