cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

10 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I have three reasons for the potential setting change 

1. Toronto is a  multi cultural city 

2 it should help in domestic BO

3 there are not a lot of films set in Toronto

I’d argue Tokyo would be better mainly due to the setting in the anime besides if you keep it it’d help internationally. Besides CAYOM doesn’t always follow the rules of regular box office as long as the movie is well done, the sky is the limit. Hell even not so well received movie do good. This year we had a movie open at $12M and legged it to $155M+.

But at the end of the day, it’s you’re choice, and as long as the film is good, you should be fine.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

40 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’d argue Tokyo would be better mainly due to the setting in the anime besides if you keep it it’d help internationally. Besides CAYOM doesn’t always follow the rules of regular box office as long as the movie is well done, the sky is the limit. Hell even not so well received movie do good. This year we had a movie open at $12M and legged it to $155M+.

But at the end of the day, it’s you’re choice, and as long as the film is good, you should be fine.

What movie was that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Notes From The Otherspace is what I think he's referring to. Good stuff. Probably our Y3 BP frontrunner. (Though The Odyssey 2 could spoil it's fun)

I’ll bet Odyssey could win Director for Reeves and give us or first BP/BD split of the game.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hunt for the Wilderpasta said:

I’ll bet Odyssey could win Director for Reeves and give us or first BP/BD split of the game.

Been thinking that was a real possibility as well. But if our streak of BP/BD lining up continues I think it's more likely that Council of the Dead pulls it out in picture than Sugar and Craig pulling it out in director. 

But for now I'm predicting the split

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Can I get a link to read it?

No problem. There’s also a lot other cool films if you have time to check some of it out, that are on the same thread.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

I went and added up the totals of all the BP noms in everyone’s Top 5 lists. 

Some things I noticed:

-Notes From the Otherspace definitely has Best Picture in the bag. It has about a 6 point lead on Odyssey 2. 

-Scavenger Wars is just 3 points behind Odyssey 2.

-Spark: Homeward was consistently at the bottom of most people’s lists, with a few exceptions!of course.

-@hiccup23 has three star reviews for both NOD and SH. Neither appeared on his list so it’s hard to gauge which one he would give the upper hand

35 points - Notes From the Otherspace

29 points - The Odyssey: The Counsel of the Dead

26 points - The Scavnger Wars

16/17 points - The Nunber One Dime

14/15 points - Spark: Homeward  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

@Reddroast 3 of the Best Picture nominees are sequels to movies from previous years so if you wanted to read the rest of the them, I’d recommend going back and reading their predecessors.

Good luck with reading Scavenger Wars though.

:hahaha:

:gold:You know I forgot about Homeward being nominated 

But @Reddroast read it's predecessor Spark: Rising (from Y1) undoubtedly one of the best entries in the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

@Reddroast 3 of the Best Picture nominees are sequels to movies from previous years so if you wanted to read the rest of the them, I’d recommend going back and reading their predecessors.

Good luck with reading Scavenger Wars though.

:hahaha:

When you go back to Odyssey 1 ask yourself how Rorschach thought cramming the entire Trojan War into 40 minuters of screentime was a good idea.

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

When you go back to Odyssey 1 ask yourself how Rorschach thought cramming the entire Trojan War into 40 minuters of screentime was a good idea.

Tbh the Odyssey uno just feels like a prologue to it's considerably better sequel in hindsight. Just giving you the backstory beforethe real thing starts

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Tbh the Odyssey uno just feels like a prologue to it's considerably better sequel in hindsight. Just giving you the backstory beforethe real thing starts

I mean I understand the criticisms and I take most of the blame for that (I was working under a real time crunch. It definitely could’ve been better) but for all the talk about how much I crammed the Trojan War into forty minutes or so, there really hasn’t been much said about how I could’ve improved it or made it work into the flow of the narrative better. 

Even if I didn’t try to fully include it in, I still would’ve wanted to show the war to at least show how Odysseus played apart in it, especially the Trojan horse part. The film itself would still have ended the same way with the storm at sea and Odysseus and his men being at their low point. Then the second film would end with an even lower low point setting up for the third film with it’s eventual conclusion.

So my real question is this: What should I have done instead?

Handling the Trojan War was always going to be a pain, I admit. Personally, I may have just kept a very, VERY basic overview of it as a prologue and start at the end of the war. 

Either way, it’s still a damn good franchise starter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I mean I understand the criticisms and I take most of the blame for that (I was working under a real time crunch. It definitely could’ve been better) but for all the talk about how much I crammed the Trojan War into forty minutes or so, there really hasn’t been much said about how I could’ve improved it or made it work into the flow of the narrative better. 

Even if I didn’t try to fully include it in, I still would’ve wanted to show the war to at least show how Odysseus played apart in it, especially the Trojan horse part. The film itself would still have ended the same way with the storm at sea and Odysseus and his men being at their low point. Then the second film would end with an even lower low point setting up for the third film with it’s eventual conclusion.

A few minor flashbacks and that's it. Just to understand why Odysseus had to leave for war and then at the end of it how he left Troy.

Everything in-between is non-essential.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I mean generally I think it's got a lot of good attributes. The scale is there. The atmosphere is there. The performances are real good. I think you have a number of options that could work to varying degrees. You could make the war a prologue like our favorite noodle said  or you could focus more centrally on the war and cut some of the side quest stuff giving the war itself more weight. Personally I think I would've tried the latter  but it is still a good work non the less. It was always gonna be difficult to structure

• Like 1