cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

So could I hypothetically speaking use Kamala Khan? And what about villains do I have to claim the rights to villains even if they appear in just a quick name mention? I’m using a few villains: Kang The Conqueror, Galactus, Silver Surfer and Fin Fang Foom in the movie and name dropped Thanos, he’s only a short cameo btw.

@4815162342 @Xillix

Okay, now I am both cunfused on what constitutes as a character okay and not okay to use. 

Not counting the aforementioned three, I am using/want to use these characters in the movie:

Speedball

Howard The Duck

Nova

She Hulk

Ironheart (Riri WIlliams)

Amadeus Cho

Captain Britain 

Beta Ray Bill

Kang The Conqueror 

Fin Fang Foom

Galactus 

Silver Surfer

Kamala Khan

Which would constitute as not okay? Cause I need to know if I have to rewrite Squirrel Girl

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

@4815162342 @Xillix

Okay, now I am both cunfused on what constitutes as a character okay and not okay to use. 

Not counting the aforementioned three, I am using/want to use these characters in the movie:

Speedball

Howard The Duck

Nova

She Hulk

Ironheart (Riri WIlliams)

Amadeus Cho

Captain Britain 

Beta Ray Bill

Kang The Conqueror 

Fin Fang Foom

Galactus 

Silver Surfer

Kamala Khan

Which would constitute as not okay? Cause I need to know if I have to rewrite Squirrel Girl

First of all, how many of these are actual meaningful characters and how many are basically one-scene cameos.

IMO one-scene cameos are fine. You would just need permission from the rights holder in-game if it applies.

If they are more notable characters, then stuff like Galactus, Silver Surfer and Kang are out because they fall under Fantastic 4 and that franchise is technically not available until summer 2020.

Beta Ray Bill has so far been deliberately omitted from the Thor films, so I think he is fine.

Kamala Khan should be fine since she's Ms. Marvel and is at this point a bit of her own thing separate from Captain Marvel

You might need to clarify which Nova, since there are multiple, one of whom is tied to Galactus.

The others are fine IMO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

First of all, how many of these are actual meaningful characters and how many are basically one-scene cameos.

IMO one-scene cameos are fine. You would just need permission from the rights holder in-game if it applies.

If they are more notable characters, then stuff like Galactus, Silver Surfer and Kang are out because they fall under Fantastic 4 and that franchise is technically not available until summer 2020.

Beta Ray Bill has so far been deliberately omitted from the Thor films, so I think he is fine.

Kamala Khan should be fine since she's Ms. Marvel and is at this point a bit of her own thing separate from Captain Marvel

You might need to clarify which Nova, since there are multiple, one of whom is tied to Galactus.

The others are fine IMO

Nova as in the one from Ultimate Spider-Man 

Kang only appears during the opening battle and Galactus and Silver Surfer are In two scenes but are very minor characters.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Kang only appears during the opening battle and Galactus and Silver Surfer are In two scenes but are very minor characters.

I think if that is the extent and they're minor I wouldn't mind. But IMO they can't be "reserved" in the Franchise Rights thread since F4 is technically unavailable as its own thing for another year-plus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I think if that is the extent and they're minor I wouldn't mind. But IMO they can't be "reserved" in the Franchise Rights thread since F4 is technically unavailable as its own thing for another year-plus.

Kang is the antagonist for the first battle in the movie and is none existent afterwards and Squirrel Girl gets something from Galactus and Silver Surfer and they appear during the third act to protect Earth but soon leave quickly and aren’t heard from again.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Also could I do a Boba Fett cameo?

And this is why we need to lock down the Franchise rules for future years.

Because while I would not care about a one-scene jokey Fett cameo, under the way the rules have been interpreted, it would be no.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

And this is why we need to lock down the Franchise rules for future years.

Because while I would not care about a one-scene jokey Fett cameo, under the way the rules have been interpreted, it would be no.

Agreed and to follow up I name dropped Thanos a few times but he is not in the movie. Is that okay?

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Probably not

Okay and how about the aforementioned Kang, Galactus and Silver Surfer appearances and also Bullseye (Daredevil), who I need the rights for Daredevil?

I'd say you can't give the Collector an actual role in the movie because he's very important in the MCU.

Personally my threshold for a "joke cameo" is like... showing up in the background of a shot, maybe one or two lines. Having a whole fight scene seems a bit much especially if it's plot-relevant. If they affect the story in any real way I think the rules should apply, which is part of why trying to do these huge crossover movies isn't generally a great idea...

I kinda thought this was likely to run into trouble from the beginning but I didn't stick my nose in early because frankly I have no idea who at least half of the characters you're talking about even are. Not a comic book guy.

Edited by Xillix

Okay so what about Kang, who is fought during the opening battle and never to be seen from again or Galactus and Silver Surfer, who gives Squirrel Girl a ship and then later try to help Earth but get sidetracked and aren’t seen again.

20 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Okay so what about Kang, who is fought during the opening battle and never to be seen from again or Galactus and Silver Surfer, who gives Squirrel Girl a ship and then later try to help Earth but get sidetracked and aren’t seen again.

I don't know who Kang is. Sounds like Galactus and SS have an impact on the plot though and they're explicitly not available.

Red King I guess I don't have a problem with personally? Again though I don't know who it is.

3 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I don't know who Kang is. Sounds like Galactus and SS have an impact on the plot though and they're explicitly not available.

Red King I guess I don't have a problem with personally? Again though I don't know who it is.

He's a famous Marvel villain who time travels. Though I do believe @4815162342 said he was in the Fantastic Four.