WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

It can't be debated that given the OD/OW, Homecoming run since has been disappointing. It also can't be debated that it's a very clear and obvious step in the right direction for Sony given the their previous two Spider-man movies did $262M and $202M DOM. Not to mention, it can't be compared to Pirates 5 or Transformers 5, both of which dipped drastically from the last movie in the franchise DOM.

That Catwoman comparison's pretty hollow. As movies have become more frontloaded, quite a few have had pretty steep drops, especially CBM. Especially CBM that opened to $100M+ OW DOM. Catwoman had a $16.2M OW and a $40.2M DOM total. Not to mention, it was released in '04. It's a silly comp to use. Honestly, the best comp right now is probably Man of Steel. The other still remains Ant-Man.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

So based on you guys whether a movie is essential viewing is directly related to legs.

That means The Phantom Menace was much more essential viewing Than TDK.

TDK had a 52% 2nd weekend drop. Over two times bigger than TPM (20%).

TPM >>> The Dark Knight -sarcasm-

They don't care about this film performance, they care about: "my poor DCEU films were trashed for the bad second week drop, where is the hate for Spidey"

Edited by XO21
  • Like 2

Fuck's sake, the hell is going on?

Anyway... the brand new top 10 Summer movies of 2017:

01. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 386.6M

02. Wonder Woman - 380.6M

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 207.3M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 188.4M

05. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 170M

06. Cars 3 - 140M

07. Transformers: The Last Knight - 125M

08. The Mummy - 79M

09. Alien: Covenant - 74M

10. Baby Driver - 73.1M

TOTAL - 1.824B

Next week, it happens... the Princess of Themyscira takes the crown of Summer 2017 (and Apes will probably join the top 10 as well). Also, BABY DRIVER IN THE TOP 10 :ohmygod:

Top 10 of 2016 up until this point:

01. Finding Dory - 445.7M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 406.6M

03. The Secret Life Of Pets - 203.4M

04. X-Men: Apocalypse - 155M

05. Central Intelligence - 117.6M

06. The Angry Birds Movie - 106.4M

07. The Legend Of Tarzan - 103.4M

08. The Conjuring 2 - 101.1M

09. Independence Day: Resurgence - 98.6M

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows - 80.8M

TOTAL - 1.818.6B

2017 is finally and firmly in the leadership against last year. With Spider-Man nulling Secret Life Of Pets (for now), and, so I believe, the Apes and Dunkirk duo countering Star Trek and Jason Bourne, the leadership will probably continue through July. Suicide Squad is the big dark horse, though...

• Like 2

I'm curious if Spider-Man: Homecoming would have performed better or how it would've performed if they told the tale of a different Spider-Man like Miles Morales.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It can't be debated that given the OD/OW, Homecoming run since has been disappointing. It also can't be debated that it's a very clear and obvious step in the right direction for Sony given the their previous two Spider-man movies did $262M and $202M DOM. Not to mention, it can't be compared to Pirates 5 or Transformers 5, both of which dipped drastically from the last movie in the franchise DOM.

That Catwoman comparison's pretty hollow. As movies have become more frontloaded, quite a few have had pretty steep drops, especially CBM. Especially CBM that opened to $100M+ OW DOM. Catwoman had a $16.2M OW and a $40.2M DOM total. Not to mention, it was released in '04. It's a silly comp to use. Honestly, the best comp right now is probably Man of Steel. The other still remains Ant-Man.

Why use MOS as A comp?Because it had a bigger drop???No MOS was a JUNE release and SM:HC is a July release just as Catwoman.

26 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Imho Yes, I do have a post here saying that The Thor Series is actully my Favorite of The MCU trilogies.

Its not shade just because you don't get it.

So far there's two factors that supports the argument that is presented to you.

#1. Fri-Sat drop

#2. Second weekend drop<Catwoman's Second weekend drop.

The only day SM:HC held better than Catwoman on was Tuesday which That wasn't big back then but in Dailies Catwoman is winning so far with lighter drops and that film didn't have 3-D.

Now before you respond just think about it I'm able to compare this films drops with one of the most horrible comic book films Known to Mankind.

Some movies are frontloaded because of the initial rush to see them.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had a big 2nd weekend drop.

It's one of the best fantasy movies in history.

And if you think SMH is as despised as Catwoman then you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What do you mean by this?

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Why use MOS as A comp?Because it had a bigger drop???No MOS was a JUNE release and SM:HC is a July release just as Catwoman.

Using Man Of Steel because it was the 4th Superman movie and a reboot, while Spidey is the 6th Spider-man movie and a reboot. Both dropped precipitously the OW DOM. Both were summer releases, releasing about three weeks apart in June/July. And, both are major brand superheroes that released post-Avengers when CBM, especially sequels/reboots and even the good ones, are generally pretty frontloaded.

Just now, grey ghost said:

What do you mean by this?

I mean, it did a lot better than Pirates 5 and Transformers 5 within as franchise film with a lot of films in the last 15 years. So much so, that it's not worth comparing. It's much, much, much more successful than either this summer.

39 minutes ago, KGator said:

This may come to a shock to you but a lot of people prefer Star Wars to the Empire Strikes Back.  Now in large part this is because Star Wars was a standalone movie and ESB was a cliffhanger ending which was not as common and turned a lot of people off but that's the case.  I think ESB was the best but it is hardly a consensus for the general public.

Wut?

Who cares what filthy casuals think?

ESB is the clear favorite when it comes to people who care about Star Wars.

There are factors other than quality that gave it worse legs than ANH.

How is any of this debateable?

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Using Man Of Steel because it was the 4th Superman movie and a reboot, while Spidey is the 6th Spider-man movie and a reboot. Both dropped precipitously the OW DOM. Both were summer releases, releasing about three weeks apart in June/July. And, both are major brand superheroes that released post-Avengers when CBM, especially sequels/reboots and even the good ones, are generally pretty frontloaded.

Using the reboot excuse is actully a sugarcoat.

Man of steel w/O inflation still is considered the lost successful of the Superman recent movies.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, it did a lot better than Pirates 5 and Transformers 5 within as franchise film with a lot of films in the last 15 years. So much so, that it's not worth comparing. It's much, much, much more successful than either this summer.

I compare them because people aren't acknowledging how franchise fatigue is a major obstacle this summer.

4 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Using the reboot excuse is actully a sugarcoat.

Man of steel w/O inflation still is considered the lost successful of the Superman recent movies.

I'm not sure what's being discussed here. I've never thought Man of Steel wasn't a much, much more successful Superman movie than Superman Returns, Superman IV and Superman III. I also thought, in many ways given it was just Supes, it was more successful than all other DCEU movies until Wonder Woman dropped this past June. I agree.

I mentioned it because both are reboots. And, both are much, much more successful than their predecessor for the brand/hero.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Let me end this argument: Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't have excellent or bad WOM. It was just average or good but not as good as the first two. It's drop was bad with no way to splice it but not as bad as some recent CBMs. There can we please end this and move onto something. I'm tired of this 10 page argument.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 4