baumer

Stronger (2017)

Grade it  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Grade it

Stronger was good, not great. I think it suffers from an out acting problem. Tatiana Maslany is so fabulous and authentic that all the other actors fail to keep up. Even Jake G wasn't as impressive as reviews are stating. I didn't see his character come through, I saw Jake G the actor as a guy without legs. The movie just dragged when Maslany wasn't on screen pouring out her heart and soul. Gotta go with a B grade. 

Edited by Bishop54

This was highly effective, if a bit overwrought at times. It has a ton in common with other recent Boston dramas like The Fighter and Manchester by the Sea, but the family drama doesn't work nearly as well here as it did in either of those films. The main reason to see the movie is Jake Gyllenhaal, who continues his reputation for being one of the most transformative actors working today. It's a very raw and real performance that might nab him another Oscar nomination, and complimented by an also great Tatiana Maslany. This is a much different approach to the Boston Marathon bombings than Patriots Day but I thought this film was much better than Peter Berg's. B+