Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Emmys tonight (guessing it'll be Shogun/The Bear/Baby Reindeer for the Series categories). I dig it when awards shows do little tributes like this:

Comedy Actor presented by George Lopez, Damon Wayans, Jesse Tyler Ferguson (tribute to dads)

Limited/Movie Supporting Actress presented by Kathy Bates, Antony Starr, Giancarlo Esposito (tribute to villains)

Comedy Writing presented by Meredith Baxter, Connie Britton, Susan Kelechi Watson (tribute to moms)

Drama Writing presented by Zach Braff, Mindy Kaling, Mekhi Phifer (tribute to doctors)

Drama Directing presented by Brendan Hunt, Jane Lynch (tribute to coaches)

Limited/Movie Actor presented by Don Johnson, Niecy Nash-Betts, Jimmy Smits (tribute to cops)

Drama Actress presented by Christine Baranski, Viola Davis, Gina Torres (tribute to lawyers)

Emmys 2024 ceremony rundown: When will each category be announced? - GoldDerby

Emmy winners from tonight

- Hacks taking out The Bear was truly a surprise. Not that I'm complaining since Hacks is a quality show (and Jean Smart is the absolute best and should always win whenever she's up for awards), but I guess the third season of The Bear (eligible for next year's ceremony) being easily its weakest yet means that its reign over the Emmys is starting to weaken, even though it still won a bunch tonight (looking forward to being able to say "Academy Award Nominee Jeremy Allen White" two years from now for the Bruce Springsteen biopic). All the complaints of "it's not a comedy!" are probably starting to catch up to it too. The wins this year means it'll likely stay in Comedy next year despite the backlash, but as far as winning goes, it likely has nowhere to go but down from here.

- Shogun won big, as expected and as it deserved, with equally deserving wins for Hiroyuki Sanada (about time he got recognition like this) and Anna Sawai (making history as the first person of Asian descent to win the Drama Actress award). Looking forward to seeing where the second season will go.

- Emmy Winner Jodie Foster! And Elizabeth Debicki! Lamorne Morris beating RDJ and Jonathan Bailey (the two people everyone figured were the ones with the strongest chances of winning) to give Fargo its first acting Emmy win five seasons is delightful, never got the recognition he deserved for New Girl. 

- Baby Reindeer winning Limited could be seen coming from a mile away. Richard Gadd and Jessica Gunning deserved their awards for it tbh. Was naturally rooting for Matt Bomer to win Actor mostly for personal reasons even though I wasn't expecting him to (as an aside, my favorite moment was him and fellow Forever Legend Joshua Jackson - yes, I am totally going to watch Doctor Odyssey and it took me until now to realize that Ryan Murphy is putting out four shows over the next two weeks, what in the world - presenting Greg Berlanti the Governor's Award), but there's already a chance he'll be back in the race next year with his Hulu show (Disney Legend status, let's goooooo!) if it premieres before June, so it's all good.

- Eugene and Dan Levy proved to be fun hosts whose jokes mostly landed (unlike most of the actual comedians these awards shows have been turning to as hosts the past several years like Jo Koy and Jerrod Carmichael) but it felt like they disappeared as the night went on. They would make a great fit for the Oscars, but it really goes to show how thankless hosting these awards shows ultimately is or at least has become: you do a monologue, a couple of other funny bits during the first hour, but then mostly wait on the sidelines as awards are being handed out one after another after another until fully reappearing again for the finale.

- The Internet will not be happy that their nemesis David Zaslav got a positive shoutout during tonight lol.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

FX Boss John Landgraf On “Thrilling” Emmy Night For ‘Shōgun’ & ‘The Bear’ (deadline.com)

Sounds like it's gonna be at least a couple of years until we get Season 2 of Shogun. Funny how some thought that Disney was gonna dominate the Emmys between these Marvel and Star Wars a few years back, but it turns out that their domination that turned out to be a reality was not with those sorts of projects.

With all the celebrations going around that The Bear lost Series over its category placement, I wonder if they'll have the guts to move it into Drama next year, especially when Disney TV is going to have a lot on its plate in the Comedy categories that actually belong there (both between returning shows Abbott Elementary and OMITB and high-profile new series from 20th/Hulu certain to likely to premiere before the deadline, Glen Powell's Chad Powers, which was teased during a TV spot last night, and the aforementioned Mid-Century Modern). Probably not since it would give off a sense of desperation for wins though.