Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I traveled with big groups my last few vacations to Mexico.  The consensus is it's your vacation so feel free to do what you want.  If you wanted to hang by the pool so be it.  Want to go visit the Ruins?   Go ahead.   It works out perfectly.

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

@MrPink it's official: Great Wall lost more than Valerian

http://deadline.com/2018/03/king-arthur-geostorm-monster-trucks-the-promise-the-great-wall-box-office-losses-1202354934/

(top 5 is King Arthur, Monster Trucks, The Promise, The Great Wall, and Geostorm)

Valerian still sucks. Still couldn't outgross TGW

The nice thing is that I don't actually care much about TGW, and didn't plead the forums to save Valerian and support it.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, DAR said:

I traveled with big groups my last few vacations to Mexico.  The consensus is it's your vacation so feel free to do what you want.  If you wanted to hang by the pool so be it.  Want to go visit the Ruins?   Go ahead.   It works out perfectly.

If you have that flexibility then that's great. But you usually don't if you're with family or minors in general.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Valerian still sucks. Still couldn't outgross TGW

The nice thing is that I don't actually care much about TGW, and didn't spend plead the forums to save Valerian and support it.

We were discussing it on Telegram.  just thought it’d be nice to give some closure to the argument.

Just now, That One Guy said:

We were discussing it on Telegram.  just thought it’d be nice to give some closure to the argument.

Have you heard of the term pyrrhic victory? (In which, I think it needs to be considered here that while Besson and Europacorp was able to insulate themselves from distribution pre-sales, it may have actually lost more money for all parties involved including the distributors who bought an incoming bomb).

• Haha 2

Just now, MrPink said:

Have you heard of the term pyrrhic victory? (In which, I think it needs to be considered here that while Besson and Europacorp was able to insulate themselves from distribution pre-sales, it may have actually lost more money for all parties involved including the distributors who bought an incoming bomb).

Not denying that Valerian lost money, but it does seem to be that Great Wall ended up losing more all things considered.  Valerian is in a bit more of a complicated situation financially, but EuropaCorp/Besson, in the end, didn't lose as much money as they could've (and their financial situation matters the most since they funded the film and all).

Just now, That One Guy said:

Not denying that Valerian lost money, but it does seem to be that Great Wall ended up losing more all things considered.  Valerian is in a bit more of a complicated situation financially, but EuropaCorp/Besson, in the end, didn't lose as much money as they could've (and their financial situation matters the most since they funded the film and all).

That depends on the party you're asking.

If I'm Europacorp, possibly I didn't lose as much money on this specific project (again, considering these are estimates and Valerian's situation is different, I would argue there's a strong case that this isn't definitive either way).

It also hurt them significantly on their bargaining power for future projects.

It also hurt them significantly on their bargaining power for future projects.

To be fair, I doubt they'll make a film with as big of a budget as Valerian again (especially with how it ended up).  They'll probably just go back to making stuff more like Taken, Lucy, Transporter, etc.

If I'm Europacorp, possibly I didn't lose as much money on this specific project (again, considering these are estimates and Valerian's situation is different, I would argue there's a strong case that this isn't definitive either way).

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

To be fair, I doubt they'll make a film with as big of a budget as Valerian again (especially with how it ended up).  They'll probably just go back to making stuff more like Taken, Lucy, Transporter, etc.

giphy.gif

I still imagine they're at a disadvantage even with their smaller films. The distribution bids might be smaller than they would be otherwise, meaning their exposure will be higher.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Being on a trip with your girlfriend and ex seems.............. weird.

Yeah... So ex was flirting to my friend I told her that made me uncomfortable. And she like "you don't think seeing you and A together upsets me?" And I was like "you never said anything." And she was like "I didn't wanna stop you from being happy."

And suffice to say I felt like a real piece of shit 

• Haha 1