Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I should probably clarify myself a bit before logging off for good.  It's not just EmpireCity that's making me want to not be on the forums.  Most conversations in general on here have become repetitive and toxic.  It's the same discussion points over and over.  Marvel, Star Wars, superhero, Disney, rinse and repeat.  There's so many other users on the forums who bother me and I just don't want to engage in any of it right now.  It's exhausting.  I can do so much other shit in life than waste my time reading the same garbage over and over and trying to rationalize with people who never wanted to engage rationally in the first place.

I'll still be on Telegram if you want to talk to me.

Please don't go :( 

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I should probably clarify myself a bit before logging off for good.  It's not just EmpireCity that's making me want to not be on the forums.  Most conversations in general on here have become repetitive and toxic.  It's the same discussion points over and over.  Marvel, Star Wars, superhero, Disney, rinse and repeat.  There's so many other users on the forums who bother me and I just don't want to engage in any of it right now.  It's exhausting.  I can do so much other shit in life than waste my time reading the same garbage over and over and trying to rationalize with people who never wanted to engage rationally in the first place.

You should use the ignore button TOG.

Oh if only I could.

• Like 2

You’ll definitely be missed. I’ll miss you good buddy.

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You should use the ignore button TOG.

Oh if only I could.

TOG, you would feel so much better if you just did this. Trust me, I've done it to A LOT of posters on here and it makes the site a bit better (even though it sucks when people quote people I have on ignore). 

• Like 1

• Community Manager

By the way we the staff are reading this conversation. We hope you all stick around though: we have lots of good members that truly make BOT special and we don't want to lose that just because some guy who thinks it's important that everybody knows DC or Marvel or SW or Avatar or whatever rules and the other franchises suck. 

Hopefully we can adjust our policies, maybe even enforce them more strictly, in an effort to open up better dialogue. We're here to have fun after all, and to discuss box office.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Hey, what did i miss? what happened to make TOG want to leave?

A lot. He's pretty much just over the same old conversations being had. And then being attacked for having a different opinion and what. 

I havent been around much before except for when the DP2 release neared but this site has changed in terms of the toxicity that's on it. It reminds me of the DC threads except this time it's almost in every single thread. In the end we are all here to discuss numbers and I'm sure no one has an issue with that. It's just when there are personal attacks going on, people acting like bullies and for what? Life's too short to be doing that shit....and life's too short to be accepting it too. 

Just a lot of growing up that needs to be done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

By the way we the staff are reading this conversation. We hope you all stick around though: we have lots of good members that truly make BOT special and we don't want to lose that just because some guy who thinks it's important that everybody knows DC or Marvel or SW or Avatar or whatever rules and the other franchises suck. 

Hopefully we can adjust our policies, maybe even enforce them more strictly, in an effort to open up better dialogue. We're here to have fun after all, and to discuss box office.

Simple: get Iyanla Vanzant to be a moderator here.

• Haha 1

The ignore button should work, except the discussion that is most frequently present in the weekend threads are the ones caused by the people I'd put on ignore, and everyone (including users who have completely good intentions) will quote the users who I don't want to see, and they'll quote them, and it all spirals out of control until it's nothing but toxicity plaguing the discussion.  It's fucking impossible to get a good discussion in the weekend threads going about anything that's not related to a franchise.  It's so boring and mind-numbing.

• Like 3

The ignore button should work, except the discussion that is most frequently present in the weekend threads are the ones caused by the people I'd put on ignore, and everyone (including users who have completely good intentions) will quote the users who I don't want to see, and they'll quote them, and it all spirals out of control until it's nothing but toxicity plaguing the discussion.  It's fucking impossible to get a good discussion in the weekend threads going about anything that's not related to a franchise.  It's so boring and mind-numbing.

^^^

I've only been a member here for a little over 2 years but in that time you get a sense of which users are worth it and which users you just have to ignore. 

I think this site has way more useful and respectful users than not. I wouldn't come back if it didn't. It's just the small minority who hurl insults and aren't respectful are louder and more obnoxious. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think there should be a feature where you can't even see an ignored user be quoted. I'm not sure if that's possible but I think that would help. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I live in a MAGA area. Going to a protest (if there even was one) would’ve been life threatening

"Biggest herd of sheep I've seen in Florida," one onlooker said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-publix-die-in-20180524-story.html

If I had been standing next to that person as they said that I would've gone all Allison Janney and told them to literally lick my ass.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's tempting to say things have gotten worse than when we had to put up with BKB until he finally got what was long coming for him.

BKB was an ass and a racist but I've actually been able to have civilized conversations with him about movies and numbers before which I can't say the same for some *newer* users