Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Watching the "SNL vintage" rerun of Jack Black's 2005 episode, I can't help but once again wish that King Kong had been a way bigger hit. Its unadjusted numbers may not look too bad these days, but it was a disappointment back then; people were losing it on the BOM forums when the opening day came in under $10 million.

Such a great movie.

28 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Watching the "SNL vintage" rerun of Jack Black's 2005 episode, I can't help but once again wish that King Kong had been a way bigger hit. Its unadjusted numbers may not look too bad these days, but it was a disappointment back then; people were losing it on the BOM forums when the opening day came in under $10 million.

Still remember seeing that in the cinemas in 05. Very good film. The Kong Vs. T-Rex fight scene was incredible to see in the cinemas. 

9 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Still remember seeing that in the cinemas in 05. Very good film. The Kong Vs. T-Rex fight scene was incredible to see in the cinemas. 

My only issue with King Kong is that it's far too long, I think with a leaner running time, it'd made more money. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

My only issue with King Kong is that it's far too long, I think with a leaner running time, it'd made more money. 

They really should have cut out the central park "ice skating scene" as nice as the intent was, it just dragged the film down. Really a good half and hour or so could have been trimmed out of the film, but Jackson wanted it to be long, so it really affected the film. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

They really should have cut out the central park "ice skating scene" as nice as the intent was, it just dragged the film down. Really a good half and hour or so could have been trimmed out of the film, but Jackson wanted it to be long, so it really affected the film. 

I imagine Jackson had a lot of kudos so no one could challenge it, Universal balked at the running time and budget overrun but they agreed to it because the footage was promising. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine Jackson had a lot of kudos so no one could challenge it, Universal balked at the running time and budget overrun but they agreed to it because the footage was promising. 

He was coming off the success of LOTR so there was a lot of expectations that King Kong was gonna big. If it had met expectations I actually think Jackson might have never done The Hobbit. 

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

He was coming off the success of LOTR so there was a lot of expectations that King Kong was gonna big. If it had met expectations I actually think Jackson might have never done The Hobbit. 

I feel like the failure of The Lovely Bones was what really pushed him to make The Hobbit. Can't imagine his options were many after that ambitious flop.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

For me the brontosaurus stampede went on way to long 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

He only did The Hobbit because Del Toro dropped out because of the MGM situation which held up the films being made. He did The Lovely Bones in the period between Kong and Hobbit as well as produce District 9, I wonder if he'll tackle another smaller film before doing another tentpole. 

• Like 1