Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Apparently we're not allowed to talk about marketing details in the weekend thread

I was really surprised when I got thread banned.  I gave literally zero details and just said "I thought this one part in the film was interesting."  Apparently that's a spoiler?

You can't talk about how the things we've seen in marketing relate to the movie itself.  

For example... you can't talk about if something in the trailer made it in the movie or not... or where in the movie it appeared.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

You can't talk about how the things we've seen in marketing relate to the movie itself.  

For example... you can't talk about if something in the trailer made it in the movie or not... or where in the movie it appeared.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all TOG said was that interesting stuff happened before a scene that was shown in the trailer.

• Like 1

Don't talk about the specifics of a movie anywhere outside of its thread or its spoiler thread, as the case may be: Problem Solved.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  It's a clear bright line and makes it so we don't have to worry about edge cases and what is or isn't a spoiler once something as been released.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

Just now, Porthos said:

Don't talk about the specifics of a movie anywhere outside of its thread or its spoiler thread, as the case may be: Problem Solved.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  It's a clear bright line and makes it so we don't have to worry about edge cases and what is or isn't a spoiler once something as been released.

It still seems kind of arbitrary to me. Like, I don't remember mentions of the "sloth" trailer being such a big issue with Zootopia. Everyone was completely open to attributing its success to that trailer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The Titanic sinks. BOOM!

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I was really surprised when I got thread banned.  I gave literally zero details and just said "I thought this one part in the film was interesting."  Apparently that's a spoiler?

Just went back and read it.  You stated that before the [event] the film was good and went to shit after.

You don't think that will influence people watching the film once they see the [event]

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

...wtf.

What makes it in the movie and how from the trailers has been a spoiler as long as I've been here.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all TOG said was that interesting stuff happened before a scene that was shown in the trailer.

And that's a spoiler.

Especially in the numbers threads when anything specific about a movie can't even be in tags

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It still seems kind of arbitrary to me. Like, I don't remember mentions of the "sloth" trailer being such a big issue with Zootopia. Everyone was completely open to attributing its success to that trailer.

I could be wrong, but I believe the new spoiler policy went into place recently.

But I ain't on Staff, so I'll let them field that.  Mostly I just wanted to chime in what it looked like from this punter's seat.

2 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Just went back and read it.  You stated that before the [event] the film was good and went to shit after.

You don't think that will influence people watching the film once they see the [event]

What makes it in the movie and how from the trailers has been a spoiler as long as I've been here.

And that's a spoiler.

Especially in the numbers threads when anything specific about a movie can't even be in tags

I disagree. TOG kept it pretty vague. Besides, it's a goddamn Pitch Perfect movie. I know the spoiler policy on here treats all movies equally, but who will have their experience ruined by what he said? :lol: 

1 minute ago, The Last AndyLL said:

What?  I didn't mention anything about it going to shit after (unless you could screenshot my post and prove me wrong in spoiler tags, but I don't remember saying anything along those lines)

1 minute ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Huh, really?  I remember in the thread for The Snowman when an article was posted detailing all the scenes that were in the trailers cut from the final film.  All posted without tags.  By one of the mods.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I disagree. TOG kept it pretty vague. Besides, it's a goddamn Pitch Perfect movie. I know the spoiler policy on here treats all movies equally, but who will have their experience ruined by what he said? :lol: 

Just because you have no interest in the movie doesn't mean others that read the numbers thread don't.

We've had the strict spoiler policy in the numbers threads for months.

Talk about numbers in the numbers threads... talk about the movie in movie thread... it's not that hard.

• Like 4

Just now, The Last AndyLL said:

Just because you have no interest in the movie doesn't mean others that read the numbers thread don't.

We've had the strict spoiler policy in the numbers threads for months.

Talk about numbers in the numbers threads... talk about the movie in movie thread... it's not that hard.

Who said I didn't have interest? Hailee Steinfeld is in it!

The weekend threads are known for their sense of community. That almost always includes talking about new movies because it's the most popular thread. Talking about only the numbers gets boring, and people will want to discuss how the movie could be affecting the box office. IE someone says "My audience was into the movie up until one point; I think that moment could be affecting WOM." That statement is incredibly vague, and a future viewer of the film very likely will have no idea what the user is referring to.

• Like 2