A Marvel Fanboy

Battleship OS thread

Very mixed numbers for this. Looks set to be big in Asia and small in Europe, and the numbers we're getting are only confirming it.Shame, it looks really good (except for Rihanna, who comes off a bit crappy in the trailers - better not destroy the movie)

But it has a been a terrible 2012 so far in some countries because of that. Especially countries that don't have a strong track record with local films (like Portugal, 2012 is behind 2011 and it will not surpass it anytime soon for the looks of it).In fact, 2012 has been very average OS with nothing spectacular happening.

Edited by CJohn

Wrath had CotT to destroy any and all chances of success, and Johc Carter had itself to destroy, well, itself, so they're not really comparable to why Battleship is underperforming in Europe.But hey, we've received one number from one city in one country, let's give it a chance!

Lucky for us, American Reunion dominated the Easter weekend and was the biggest OW of the year so far (in fact, it was the first weekend of the year going up compared to last year...), but I am sure Battleship will flop. I just hope The Avengers sells the same number of tickets as Captain America (it was the biggest Avenger movie here, yes, I know it is strange :lol:)

I'm not surprised at all. Hardly any films this year have looked even the slightest bit appealing. People are rightfully saving their money.

It is interesting how movies like Safe House, Contraband, The Grey, 21 Jump Street or The Vow, so appealing to American audiences, failed to make any significant impact OS.And blockbusters are failling in Europe. I am still disappointed by Wrath and John Carter performances. There is also the lack of an animation blockbuster like Rio last year. Lorax is nowhere near that.

21 Jump Street is having fantastic legs in the UK... I think it's mostly to do with quality. Much like POP in Europe, John Carter bombed because it looked unappealing, and no-one even knew about it. Wrath did badly because COTT was God-awful, and Battleship will probably do decent numbers at best because it looks incredibly generic, and no one is really interested to see a semi-transformers clone right now.

I wasn't expecting huge numbers in Europe. Movies like Real Steel or even Transformers 1 didn't do that spectacularly in Europe. Stll I think it will do all right in the end. Even something like Prince of Persia started slowly in Europe but finished with solid numbers. Then again POP seems more internationally appealing

Edited by Shriekofthevulture