A Marvel Fanboy

Battleship OS thread

I've been watching the box office this year and most movies have been doing better than expected. I think this trend will last through the summer. I must say I'm surprised Battleship opened so huge overseas but the overseas market has always responded to these big action movies. They saved Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, etc. I'm also wondering if Rihanna being a part of the cast was a huge help? I've noticed that Katy Perry being in the Smurfs and just Justin Bieber's Never Say Never caused the box office to do much better than expected.

Universal was smart. After the terrible teaser trailer which made it look like a Stealth type movie and had people going "whats next Monopoly?", they got the message (unlike Disney with John Carter) and did a complete rethink of the marketing campaign. Stressing the Transformers connection in the trailer and going for a big Independence Day/2012 vibe in the trailers that pretty much sidelines the whole Battleship angle but makes the film look more spectacular and entertaining. The John Carter marketing team could learn a lot from the Battleship one!