aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

It started with Blade in '98.

The previous SH era died with Batman and Robin.

No one tried to emulate Blade with their CBM's.  If we want to go where the current wave of CBM's is coming from, then the clear culprit is Iron Man, which jumpstarted the cinematic universe shit that everyone and their mother wants to do.  It's even spreading to other genres of film (Warner with Godzilla/Kong, Universal trying to jumpstart their Dark Universe, etc.)

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If legs mean a movie is more beloved and better than others then Avatar is the most beloved and best blockbuster of our generation. :apocalypse:

It very well may be.  I'm not big on it at all (I think it's Cameron's weakest), but it opened well and had astronomical legs from people that clearly loved it and were spreading the good WOM for the film.  It's hard to gauge reception from everyone in America, but I have to imagine that it'd be up there amongst films the GA loved the most.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

No one tried to emulate Blade with their CBM's.  If we want to go where the current wave of CBM's is coming from, then the clear culprit is Iron Man, which jumpstarted the cinematic universe shit that everyone and their mother wants to do.  It's even spreading to other genres of film (Warner with Godzilla/Kong, Universal trying to jumpstart their Dark Universe, etc.)

So your beef is the cinematic universe concept?

It's not Disney's fault the copy cats can't execute.

And what else would you do with Godzilla and King King. Make endless 3 to 4 sequels without crossovers?

Good luck with that. :jeb!:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There have been roughly 4 superhero movies per year since 2004.

But fads don't last 9 or 13 years either, lol.

Fad might not be the right word.  Let's call it a trend, then.  The current trend of superhero movies that are churned out by the studios 10 times a year.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Such hate for Avatar. IMO it's the second best movie ever made, behind only Titanic. Avatar was to me The king of event movies. I've watched it countless times and it never gets old. I seriously don't know anyone in real life who dislikes this movie.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I see almost every movie that gets released, so nah, I'm fine.  I'll still see them.

btw the quality of the movie has nothing to do with it.  I've liked most superhero movies this year (barring Thor and Justice League).  It's just a genre that I'm tired of being done to death.  It's one of the only genres of film that makes a lot of money box office wise and I'm sick of it being overexposed.  my favorite superhero movies are the ones that offer their own unique spin on the genre and try to stray from conventions (Logan and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are my favorite superhero movies of the year for that reason). 

So they should stop making movies that millions of people enjoy around the world, that employs thousands across the world and that makes inverstors lots of money because you feel overexposed and yet cant help watching them?

Again the remedy of over exposure is to simply not expose yourself to them. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It very well may be.  I'm not big on it at all (I think it's Cameron's weakest), but it opened well and had astronomical legs from people that clearly loved it and were spreading the good WOM for the film.  It's hard to gauge reception from everyone in America, but I have to imagine that it'd be up there amongst films the GA loved the most.

Nah, Avatar is not more beloved or better than Harry Potter, LOTR, Indiana Jones, Bond or Star Wars.

I don't care how good the legs are.

How many teens or kids are obsessed with Avatar? How often does Avatar make people's top 10 favorite all time movies?

Just now, grey ghost said:

So your beef is the cinematic universe concept?

It's not the concept of one; I think the MCU, DCEU, and Fox's superhero movies all have potential under the right guidance (clearly the MCU has succeeded with the GA but that's not my point right now, we're discussing why I, personally, don't like it).  It's the fact that every studio has tried to emulate the MCU with their own superhero movies and pretty much all of them have all stayed within the same formula with only a few exceptions.  My beef is with how formula-driven these films have become.  Most follow the same arcs, same plot points, same actions beats, etc.  Only a few truly rise above the crowd, I think.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

The success of Blade  (1998) is what gave Avi Arad and Marvel enough clout to convince Fox to make X-men and Sony to make Spider-Man.  The success of those films but the small % Marvel got from the B.O. and the minuscule they got from video is what convinced them to created their own studio and release their own films.

Meanwhile X-men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Ghost Rider, Constantine, Fantastic Four, Batman and Super-Man and their sequels were all being made pre Iron Man.  That some of them were duds or bombs does not mean they weren't being made.  Others were huge successes. 

Yes the MCU has become the most successful comic (and otherwise) franchise but neither IM nor the MCU are the "culprit" for the actions of other studios. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Fad might not be the right word.  Let's call it a trend, then.  The current trend of superhero movies that are churned out by the studios 10 times a year.

I'm not a horror fan.

The trend with horror movies everywhere doesn't bother me in the least.

Strange. :kitschjob:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

So they should stop making movies that millions of people enjoy around the world, that employs thousands across the world and that makes inverstors lots of money because you feel overexposed and yet cant help watching them?

Clearly people like them.  I'm not saying they should stop making them.  I'm saying that I'm personally tired of them being made.  We're not discussing the GA right now, we're discussing my personal thoughts on it.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I'm not a horror fan.

The trend with horror movies everywhere doesn't bother me in the least.

Strange. :kitschjob:

Horror movies have always been everywhere because it's an entire genre of film, while superhero movies are just a subgenre of action film.  You can't eradicate an entire genre like horror.  That's ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

It's not the concept of one; I think the MCU, DCEU, and Fox's superhero movies all have potential under the right guidance (clearly the MCU has succeeded with the GA but that's not my point right now, we're discussing why I, personally, don't like it).  It's the fact that every studio has tried to emulate the MCU with their own superhero movies and pretty much all of them have all stayed within the same formula with only a few exceptions.  My beef is with how formula-driven these films have become.  Most follow the same arcs, same plot points, same actions beats, etc.  Only a few truly rise above the crowd, I think.

But there are certain tropes that arre unavoidable.

Either way Marvel and Fox are already planning to diversify their approach so maybe the movie gods will answer your prayers.

Just now, grey ghost said:

But there are certain tropes that arre unavoidable.

Either way Marvel and Fox are already planning to diversify their approach so maybe the movie gods will answer your prayers.

Hopefully they do.  I am somewhat optimistic on Black Panther and Ant-Man 2 and pretty fucking excited for New Mutants, so maybe they’ll deliver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Horror movies have always been everywhere because it's an entire genre of film, while superhero movies are just a subgenre of action film.  You can't eradicate an entire genre like horror.  That's ridiculous.

Pffft, tell that to Film Noir.

You could reduce Horror to one or two films a year as opposed one every week.  Like the Musical, The Western and The Romantic Comedy.  Or even to just 10 a year like CBMs.  

And Horror films are tropey and repetitive as hell.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

tumblr_inline_mhkcjceIfs1raj8mk.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Clearly people like them.  I'm not saying they should stop making them.  I'm saying that I'm personally tired of them being made.  We're not discussing the GA right now, we're discussing my personal thoughts on it.

You are absolutely free and entitled to not like a movie or genre. No doubt there. 

But you said you cant wait for the fad to die and go away. That to me means you dont want the movies to be made. Now you can like or dislike as you want but not wanting movies to be made that millions enjoy simply because you don't veers into selfish territory.