Xillix

Xillix' (Harshly) Critical Reviews, Y2

And the Band Played On

"While it's always risky to fictionalize such an event, however carefully - and the continued vilification of Dugas as 'patient zero' despite that being disproven is a good example - this film adaptation of the seminal book is mostly riveting. It plays out almost like a thriller, and despite its imposing runtime and complex web of characters, is consistently engaging."

BOT_Tag_-_4_half_stars.png

Flying Spaghetti Monster the Great and Holy

"While it will certainly still offend plenty of people, this mockumentary is considerably more agreeable because it doesn't attack any one group specifically. It's frequently quite funny, even if not a whole lot of thought seems to have been put into it."

BOT_Tag_-_3_stars.png

Spyro: Dragonheart

"It's not horrible, but it is derivative, and plagued by the structural and pacing problems so many video game adaptations struggle with. The climax is a big letdown, too - they enter the realm of the Dark Master, but he doesn't involve himself in the battle or even show up at all. Finally, Imageworks' relatively cheap, silly, cartoony style is a poor fit for the material, which takes itself entirely too seriously as it is."

BOT_Tag_-_2_stars.png

Peter and the Starcatchers

"The movie never once explains who or what the Starcatchers are. I'm not sure if they're even actually in the film. In fact, I'm reasonably sure someone accidentally cut out the entire third act of the film and skipped to the epilogue. Unwatchable."

BOT_Tag_-_half_star.png

@Ethan Hunt No, really, I'm pretty sure that when you copied and pasted this a lot of the movie didn't get pasted at all. You uh. Should really check that kind of thing.

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Yeah that was pretty fun too, I'm just waiting to see if you can keep that up for a feature. Good luck on it.

I know. I’ve been working on it since October. As said previously Imageworks won’t be doing the animation due to Endless Animation finally completing Worldmender (a CG/2D animation technique to create a Paperman/Feast/Inner Workings type design).

• Like 1

Voltron: Rise of Lotor

"Let me stress that this is still very exciting entertainment with more character depth and heart than the average blockbuster. Let me now admit, however, that it suffers from a slight case of sequelitis - doing too much at once, repeating old tricks to lesser impact, featuring sometimes poorly-placed comedy. It's going to do gangbusters at the box office over the holiday season, and it deserves to, but it's nonetheless a step down from its predecessor. Hopefully the inevitable third installment recovers from the sophomore slump."

BOT_Tag_-_3_half_stars.png

@cookie I was really on the fence about doing a 3.5 or a 4... until I got to the end and saw

Spoiler

you copied the funeral scene from GotG2.

• Like 2

Gah... I knew I was going to get dinged for that last part one way or another. Truth be told it was a last-minute revision of a different ending that was way more sequel-baity so in order to avoid further repeat I went with something I thought would be more emotionally resonant.

And tbf since this game's timeline started in 2017 Guardians 2 technically never happened.

And I'm guessing some of the inappropriate comedy complaint refers to

Lance's insistence to snark about everything.

Thanks for the review tho.

Edited by cookie

Top 20 time! So for the record, last year I didn't include any of my own films in the top 20 because I... just assumed that's how it was done out of courtesy. It was not, and that hurt me in the rankings, so I'm not gonna be so modest this time.

20. The Knight

19. The Road to El Dorado

18. Blood and Fur 2: Maul-Ma Mater

17. 56 Days of Love

16. Bounty Hamster

15. Flower Eyes and Needle Teeth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2