Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Y2: Infinity Zeroes

July:

Ultraman

A Michael Bay film that doesn't shove stupid humor down your face or has an overly long climax? Sacrilege!!! In all seriousness, it's better than most of Bay's other efforts and it does have some neat action scenes but its a bit tried and paint-by-numbers.

5/10

Paddles: The Video Game Story

A well-made documentary with an interesting story to tell

7/10

To The Moon

The constant timeline jumping may be a little confusing at times but overall, I found this to be an extremely emotional/rewarding experience. Pete Docter tells a poignant/rewarding story with beautiful animation and great voice work.

8/10

The Film

It's not 'The Beach House' levels of awfulness but it gets pretty close sometimes. Another dumb horror film with an uninvolving story and idiotic characters.

3/10

Taking Names

Self-aware and well-written, The Lonely Island crew deliver another great comedic effort with plenty of laughs all around. Could've used some more laughs near the end but overall, a well-made comedy indeed.

7/10

Mermaid

Ugh.

giphy.gif

3/10

The Dark Victorian

Tim Burton is one of my favorite filmmakers... if you stop his filmography after Sleepy Hollow (throw Sweeney Todd in there with the rest of that group). This film is essentially a distant cousin of Dark Shadows and couldn't feel any more like it. I really hope Burton comes to his senses and starts creating more original projects because this is getting really old.

4/10

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

The Dark Victorian

Tim Burton is one of my favorite filmmakers... if you stop his filmography after Sleepy Hollow (throw Sweeney Todd in there with the rest of that group). This film is essentially a distant cousin of Dark Shadows and couldn't feel any more like it. I really hope Burton comes to his senses and starts creating more original projects because this is getting really old.

4/10

I mean he did win Best Director and Best Picture least year. (If I'm remembering correctly)

• Like 1

August:

War of the Gods

A fun, epic film that boasts great special effects and a great deal of engaging action. The cast is also wonderful, with Honsou and Elba giving the best performances out of the bunch. Williams' score and Abrams' direction are top notch as always. A great late-summer epic that's bound to be a great crowd-pleaser (and maybe rack up some Oscar gold at that).

Also, it completely washes the taste of "Gods of Egypt" out of my mouth so that's that

9/10

56 Days of Love

Uniquely shot and featuring great performances from the prominent couple in the film, Ang Lee delivers an emotionally powerful film. Some of the writing could've been a little better but as is, its a great love story with a unique vision and a heartbreaking ending.

8/10

Pokemon: The Journey Begins

It's a little too layered with exposition and could've easily been trimmed by 15-20 minutes. Still, 'Pokemon' is an entertaining film that'll please newcomers and die-hard fans alike, especially the latter. For those wanting to experience the nostalgic franchise on the big screen for the first time will not be disappointed.

6/10

The Maid

Decent horror flick buoyed by a great lead performance. 

6/10

After Party

A brutal sit but one with a message that's worth learning. Shults continues to be an emerging talent behind the camera and I hope more films like this are made to address the issues still plaguing society today. 

8/10

My Side of the Mountain

I vaguely remember reading this in elementary school so I was curious to see what this would be like on the big screen. Unfortunately, it just didn't resonate with me like the book did. Lieberher is great in the lead but can't really save the film

4/10

Race Rage

A pretty fun action flick, though nothing really that groundbreaking or new about it.

6/10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

September:

Ta2ed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

It suffers a little for not being nearly as fresh as its predecessor. A lot of the jokes just don't land as well and falls into mediocrity plenty of times. Still, there are a good amount of jokes that work and the style is still delightfully cheesy.

5/10

Crash Bandicoot

The voice cast is pretty solid and it has plenty of fun animated hijinks thrown throughout but it doesn't really do anything new to stand out. Plus, the animation could've been easily improved upon with a couple extra million dollars to fix up a few things here and there. Overall, a decent animated effort.

5/10

Chaperones

Todd Philips' movies stopped being funny about a decade ago.

3/10

The Terrible Plight of Freddy Zapper

As someone who really loves Burton's style and many of his earlier works (I know he didn't direct this one but I kinda wish he did), I really dug this movie. Perfectly encapsulates the feeling of the 50s along with some fun/catchy songs from the 'La La Land' duo. The climax was iffy but it didn't take away from my enjoyment. 

8/10

Blank

A pretty entertaining crime film buoyed by a talented cast and some stellar action scenes. Not as funny as I was expecting but I still left reasonably satisfied.

8/10

Penny Press

Pretty lifeless and dull. Zemeckis does what he can with what little was given to him.

4/10

• Like 3

October:

Closed Domain

A very solid film with a great cast and some great music thrown in there as well. Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill do really well in their respective roles and the rest of the supporting cast do a pretty good job too. Towards the end, the film did lose a little steam for me when it went dark but it didn't really lose me all that much. Extremely well-made. Probably not a Best Picture contender per say but still really solid. 

8/10

Little Demons

The stop animation and the music are pretty top notch, considering it's from the people who made Nightmare Before Christmas. Unfortunately, none of the characters are likable enough/interesting enough to carry a full 84 minutes. That plus the racism kinda drags down the quality of this film a lot.

4/10

Samurai Pizza Cats

It's pretty weird and zany which is good... except when it starts to wear off on you quickly after the novelty of it is worn out. Still, this isn't a terrible film by any means. The animation is pretty good and most of the humor lands. It just didn't have much of an effect on me.

5/10

Isolation

A pretty entertaining Sci-fi thriller with Liam Neeson bringing his A-game as always. The mystery aspect was a little lacking though.

7/10

Midnight in the Afghan Valley

It's been a long time since I've seen a war film that really focused on the more individual, moral aspect of the characters. I think this film succeeds on so many levels. The war scenes, the acting, the cinematography are all top notch in my opinion. That and the tension in the battles are edge-of-your-seat nailbiting. 

8/10

Blood and Fur 2: Maul-Ma Mater

Like TTAFfBH 2, this sequel does fall into the trap of not being as funny as its predecessor. However, this is still a very entertaining movie, if not for the amazing shootout at the end. Not as good as the first one but still a fun time.

6/10

Lenny Lipton and the Super Scary Sleepover

I guess its fine for little kids who want a little taste of horror for Halloween but it really doesn't do anything to warrant much praise. The parody of @Xillix's horror movies was pretty amusing though.

3/10

As I said before, I will review Amityville tomorrow. I may group it with the November reviews or give the film its own review (if I have a lot to say about it).

• Like 2

Little Demon's rating shows how much times have changed. In CAYOM 2.0, Little Demons was nominated for 2 Oscars and won Best Score. It made 93 million domestic, which made it a big stop motion animation hit. It got zero digs on its "racism". CAYOM and film have changed a ton since 2012. 

Edited by Hiccup23