Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Y2: Infinity Zeroes

8 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Little Demon's rating shows how much times have changed. In CAYOM 2.0, Little Demons was nominated for 2 Oscars and won Best Score. It made 93 million domestic, which made it a big stop motion animation hit. It got zero digs on its "racism". CAYOM and film have changed a ton since 2012. 

Couldn't tell ya. To The Moon is still damn good though. 

The Amityville Nightmare

I agree with both @The Shape of Pasta and @4815162342 that the film tries to cram WAY too much plot in its 108-minute runtime. Had the runtime been over two hours, I would've been fine with it. As is, it feels like the film goes at lightning speed to tell its story. That aside, this is still a really well-made horror film that stands out amongst this year's crowd. The performances are all terrific, the scares are effective, and the atmosphere is creepy as hell. David Sandberg is a great talent behind the camera and he delivers again with this film.

7/10 

• Like 2

November:

Sitting Ducks

A slightly amusing film that doesn't really stick with you afterward. Also, @Hiccup23, please use paragraphs more often in the future. Thanks :) 

5/10

Treasure Planet

The original isn't one of Disney's best but it is certainly very underrated and underappreciated. I grew up watching it so there's still a little special place in my heart for it. This live-action adaptation doesn't really do anything to stand out from its predecessor and suffers a lot of the same problems that the original did. Like the original though, this is a gorgeous film to look at and the material does give it a reason to be translated into live-action. Fun and entertaining but not great.

6/10

The Island

Guillermo del Toro's latest is a pretty disappointing one. The film feels like a mix of 'A Cure for Wellness' at the beginning but ends up turning more into something like X-Men. For a psychological thriller, it was pretty lacking in the thrills. Also the ending revelation:

Spoiler

The King Arthur stuff didn't do anything for me at the end. Not a very well done twist if you ask me.

5/10

• Like 1

November Cont.

Storm Hunters

The characters aren't that interesting but the disaster movie around them is pretty entertaining.

7/10

Deathsgiving

Pretty bad and not funny in the slightest.

4/10

The Encounter... Airport 2018

Eh.

4/10

My Life to Waste

Really bad. The main character is extremely unlikeable which made me not care about anything that happened to him and the rest of the characters aren't all that better. Extremely disappointing for Innaritu.

3/10

The Parvelli Reunion

Extremely dark but also incredibly funny. Great performances from the cast all around (especially from Neel Sethi). The film's weirdness works to its advantage to make it one of the most unique films of the year.

9/10

Ho! Ho! Ho!

:wintf:

2/10

• Like 1

December:

And The Band Played On

I was planning to write a quick summary of my thoughts before I went into this film but I'd rather skip the filler and get straight to point: This movie is great. Actually, it's amazing. The ensemble cast is fantastic, the direction by Michael Mann is great, and the writing is flawless. Three hours never flew by so fast as it did for this film. By the end of it, I had to take a five-minute break to reflect on what I had just read. This isn't just the best film of the year, its one of CAYOM's best. Period. Amazing work, @4815162342

10/10

Flying Spaghetti Monster the Great and Holy

It has some funny moments but its definitely not one of SBC's best work.

5/10

Spyro: Dragonheart

The animation and the action are pretty good. Outside of that, the characters really aren't all that developed and the film just feels like a CliffsNotes version of a much better story. Still, its fine for families looking for entertainment over the holidays. 

6/10

Blood Blizzard

If there are no characters to give a shit about then why should I care when they start dropping like flys?  

3/10

Peter and the Starcatchers

:hahaha:

2/10

Voltron review will be up in a little bit after I finish eating.

• Like 2

Voltron: Rise of Lotor

b5e.jpg

-1/10

Spoiler

Actual Review:

Having actually watched the first two seasons of the show on Netflix, I'm a bit more knowledgeable about the series now. However, I have yet to start Season 3, which this movie is mostly based on (I've actually only seen the first episode so that's technically not true but still), so I'm going into this pretty fresh.

Long story short... This is really great. A few problems aside, this is a solid sequel that builds upon its predecessor. The characters are great, the action is exciting and packed with tons of great moments throughout. Lotor is a badass and easily the best new addition in this film. The humor was pretty great, save for a few bad jokes courtesy of Lance, and the film wisely knows when to balance both humor and seriousness.

A few negatives I had though:

-Humor towards the beginning is hit or miss (but it got better as it went along)

-Lotor's generals don't add much. You really could've combined two of them into one character and you really wouldn't have that much different. 

-Pidge and Hunk's subplots aren't bad but they do disrupt the flow of the narrative a little bit

-Haggar is kind of a non-entity in this. The filmmakers don't give her much to do and she doesn't really have much to do

-Shane Black probably wasn't the best choice for director. Doesn't fit his directing style that much.

-Obligatory comment on how the funeral scene is directly copied from Guardians 2

Overall, Rise of Lotor is an extremely entertaining film. For every narrative misstep, three great ones take its place. I, personally, am very excited to keep watching the show on Netflix and am also excited about the third installment.

8/10

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Voltron: Rise of Lotor

b5e.jpg

-1/10

Reveal hidden contents

I’m suing. Expand Dong is my copyright for reviewing.

• Knock It Off 1

Top 25 Time! As always, here are the honorable mentions:

Spoiler

HM#5: American Dragon: Jake Long @Xillix

Spoiler

HM#4: The Twenty One Ballons @Hiccup23

Spoiler

HM#3: Blood and Fur: Maul-Ma Mater @The Shape of Pasta

Spoiler

HM#2: Paddles: The Video Game Story @The Shape of Pasta

Spoiler

HM#1: Night Light @Xillix