Box Office Hit

Book Club | May 18, 2018 | Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton | Paramount

As usual, men dismiss a movie that is not aimed at their demo. God forbid studios make films for older women. Yuck. :D This will probably make a nice chunk of change (remember Mamma Mia?) Not saying that this will gross 600 million, but I bet it will resonate with its intended audience)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2018 at 6:06 AM, AJG said:

So from the trailer, this movie is just another one of those “old white women reclaiming their youth” lite-comedies, and Paramount has simply shoehorned 50 Shades into the film for some attention.

I imagine they simply read the book at the beggining of the film, which will in turn kickstart the actual plot of this thing. 

Which movie or movies are you talking about when you say it's another one of those old white women reclaiming their youth comedies?  It's not like old white women are in high demand in Hollywood.  

I love the trailer, love the cast and I think it will do well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/03/2018 at 1:23 AM, StevenG said:

As usual, men dismiss a movie that is not aimed at their demo. God forbid studios make films for older women. Yuck. :D This will probably make a nice chunk of change (remember Mamma Mia?) Not saying that this will gross 600 million, but I bet it will resonate with its intended audience)

Agree completely.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, baumer said:

Which movie or movies are you talking about when you say it's another one of those old white women reclaiming their youth comedies?  It's not like old white women are in high demand in Hollywood.  

I love the trailer, love the cast and I think it will do well.

The funny thing about the complain that your replied to (in my opinion) is that movies that typically target men are also constructed from various already-existing parts (just like this film is supposedly "old white women reclaiming their youth/finding love + Fifty Shades"), plenty of dude films can be described today (and dismissed, if you are inclined to do so) as "old white man becomes an unlikely action hero" with added elements from other genres (superhero, horror, romance) to make it different.

Each film should ideally be taken on its own and assessed as its own thing. But nowadays, judging a film and dismissing it based on easy "this meets that" soundbites has become a sport.

Oh well.

This looks to me like a fun time at the cinema.

• Like 2

It does look like fun.  And I can't think of another film that has older women trying to get their groove on.  The Fifty Shades novel is just the McGuffin.  The story is these women and the older men, finding love and sex again.  That makes it look pretty funny.

• Like 1

For a film focused on women reading “Fifty Shades of Grey” and applying it to their love lives, this is marginally better than watching any one of the “Fifty Shades” movies which doesn’t really say much.

If I may be bluntly honest, this movie isn’t for me. I am far from this movie’s demographic so a lot of my complaints against the film, such as the functionality of Bumble not being accurate to the application service itself, most likely wouldn’t matter to a person over 50 going out to see this movie. If you are a woman over 40 and looking for a fun romantic comedy for you and your spouse (or hell, just yourself), “Book Club” is just for you.

• Like 1

You don't have to be "a woman over 40" to enjoy Book Club just like you don't have to be a teenage boy to enjoy superhero films. If you leave your socially constructed biases at the door and just enjoy the stories, any film can be enjoyed by anyone. I am looking forward to seeing this ASAP.

Edited by StevenG
  • Like 2

I wish I made a prediction for this.  I didn't make an opening weekend prediction, but I did think it would have excellent legs.  And I hope it does well.....if the early numbers are any indication, we could have a sleeper here.

So a nice 30% drop for the weekend and it's bound to have a good Monday.  Should be be close to 34 million after the Monday.  I think this is already more than most thought it would do. I recall some saying it COULD do Going In style numbers, looks like it will pass that with ease.  50 million should be attainable and I'm hoping it makes a push for 60.

• Like 3