grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Did some wee basic calcs. 

Lets say Dominion theoretically would do in between FK and JW1 internationally on a typical year without the war and covid. 950M lets say, 6.7% increase from FK. If FK is 612.1M without RUS or China then lets increase that # by 6.7% = 653.4M theoretical international for Dominion without Russia or China. 

Then we have either two scenarios. Scenario 1, Russia and China open on schedule with the rest of the world so China gets a drastically lower amount resulting in a much lower global Box Office. Scenario 2, they release in Russia and China later in July or August where the revenue will likely be larger but the final global count will be delayed.

Now lets go through these scenarios presuming JWD makes at least 450M domestically. 

Scenario 1: 450M domestic + 653.4M limited int + ~20M Russia + ~40M China = 1.163B final global total

Scenario 2: 450M domestic + 653.4M limited int. + ~20M late release Russia + ~225M late release China = 1.348B delayed final global total

Heck even if JWD doesn't come out in Russia or China at all it still would cross 1 billion in this hypothetical scenario. 450M + 653.4M = 1.103B final global total

Sorry if there's a lot of assumptions. Plus I am a noob at box office and I am just getting back into it.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am expecting a fun two hours from this film, but some people are expecting some religious experience.

If you mean me, i do not expect a religious experience.

Spoiler

I expect to feel like i see what gods would deem worthy for them as well.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, Bigscrubnus said:

The way the movie ends definitely leaves the possibility of more movies being made.

it’s kinda like Godzilla 2014, where the story is ended, but it leaves the opportunity for more movies to be made if everything works out.

Anybody really think Universal would not do that?

You don't kill a cash cow.

5 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

But you do need to rest it, and fuel it with other content in meanwhile before starting to milk again after some time.

Of course. I think Universal will give the franchise a rest, but they are sure as hell going to keep the doors open for a new series of films a few years down the line.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Of course. I think Universal will give the franchise a rest, but they are sure as hell going to keep the doors open for a new series of films a few years down the line.

I think nobody is questioning that. Jurassic Park/World is debatably the most lucrative movie franchise right now after the MCU. Universal will know what they are doing.

Release Dominion. Give it a few years rest, maybe 4 - 6 years. Use that time for non-movie related stuff like merchandise, tv shows etc to keep the brand alive and fresh and then make new movies.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:01 PM, BruiseCruise said:

This is gonna be NWH for Jurassic Park fans

I dont think bringing the old cast will help. Goldblum didnt help TLW or Fallen Kingdom and Sam Neil didn't help Jurassic Park 3. The most successful 'Park' sequel was the one that didn't bother with any of the old cast and instead relied on Pratt's popularity. This will gross less than Fallen Kingdom domestically and worldwide

Edited by Tarintino

25 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

The most successful 'Park' sequel was the one that didn't bother with any of the old cast and instead relied on Pratt's popularity. This will gross less than Fallen Kingdom domestically and worldwide

I'd say Jurassic World's success had less to do with Pratt and much more to do with the hook of finally seeing the park successfully up and running. The JP franchise has never really been character driven, so the main hook of Dominion will be seeing a larger scale version of the San Diego scene from Lost World (dinosaurs rampaging in the real world). Fallen Kingdom had the weakest hook of all, so I'd be really surprised if this drops domestically. Worldwide is a toss-up depending if China release goes smoothly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I'd say Jurassic World's success had less to do with Pratt and much more to do with the hook of finally seeing the park successfully up and running. The JP franchise has never really been character driven, so the main hook of Dominion will be seeing a larger scale version of the San Diego scene from Lost World (dinosaurs rampaging in the real world). Fallen Kingdom had the weakest hook of all, so I'd be really surprised if this drops domestically. Worldwide is a toss-up depending if China release goes smoothly.

Pratt was coming off the back of Guardians though which was a massive breakout for him. I'd say he helped Jurassic World more than this new cast will help Dominion. He had meme's flying all over the place when it opened. But yeah the Dinos have and always will be the main attraction

• Like 1