grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Sam Neill is returning to the “Jurassic Park” franchise as paleontologist Alan Grant in the upcoming “Jurassic World Dominion,” but there’s a huge difference between the new installment and Steven Spielberg’s 1993 original. Neill recently told The Sunday Times that “Dominion” is nearly wall-to-wall action, which stands in direct contrast with Spielberg’s slow burn. The 1993 original takes 45 minutes to build up to its Tyrannosaurus rex reveal. The 2022 sequel has a dinosaur action scene from the moment it  starts.

“I have never seen action like this,” Neill said, noting Spielberg’s slow burn approach is its own dying species in Hollywood. “An audience 30 years later wouldn’t find that pace acceptable. As a result this has action from the moment the lights go down. Though of course it has quiet moments.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/sam-neill-jurassic-park-action-pacing-1235275007/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Reviews don't matter for this series. The second one which had bad reviews had good legs

Yeah, JWFK had bad reviews but still had over 2.8 legs and an A- CinemaScore.

audience receptions matters by far the most. And hopefully we can get some reactions out of that Mexico screening soon.

This is the likely impact of bad reviews for this:

Dad: "Sorry Son, i have bad news for you."

Son: "What?"

Dad: "The new Jurassic World movie has bad revie...!"

Son: Jurassic World! Dinosaurs! Yay! When will we go see it?!"

Dad: "... it comes out on June 10th."

Son: "Great! Let me tell Mom and i have to tell my friends too, we all love dinosaurs!"

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

This is the likely impact of bad reviews for this:

Dad: "Sorry Son, i have bad news for you."

Son: "What?"

Dad: "The new Jurassic World movie has bad revie...!"

Son: Jurassic World! Dinosaurs! Yay! When will we go see it?!"

Dad: "... it comes out on June 10th."

Son: "Great! Let me tell Mom and i have to tell my friends too, we all love dinosaurs!"

FK had some blistering reviews and audiences didn’t give a crap and actually liked it. So unless the reviews are like below 30 on rotten tomatoes I don’t see this making a difference.

47 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Spielberg's slow burn approached worked in Jurassic Park because people in theaters had never seen anything like that before, it was all so mysterious and secretive..... There was a mystique about it, hence the reveal was so Impactfull.

But once the reveal was made and audience got the taste of Dinosaurs, there was no going back, now there's no point of hiding things which audiences have already seen before.

Unrelated movie, but similar case, Godzilla 2014 might be best made Monsterverse movie, but it's biggest criticism was not enough Godzilla..... Clearly audience didn't enjoy the slow burn there, although final battle after all the buildup was worth it, but people eventually want to see more Godzilla in Godzilla.

Similarly audience pay to watch Dinosaurs on screen, so the more screentime for dinosaurs, the better.

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This guy says he' s seen it

Plot doesn't matter, representing the plot on screen matters.

If it's a blast with lots of action, then it's good.

I know the plot is generic saving the day from bad guys trying to use gentic power for their own benefit. There will be some stupidity too. 

But as long as characters are good and action is satisfying, it should be good. 

The first JW had the most generic plot imaginable and that went over quite well with audiences.

"Generic" is like "cliche"; it doesnt automatically mean a bad thing. Like with everything else, the context matters most and a generic plot can work very well if the action scenes and character moments are good enough to elevate it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

"An audience 30 years later wouldn’t find that pace acceptable."

So sad and true

Yeah hes just speaking truth here. Films (especially long ones) with a slower pace just dont fit the taste of the GA anymore. Blade Runner 2049 for example, in my opinion one of the best films of the 2010s, was killed box office-wise by its pacing and runtime i believe. Modern audiences are customed to fast-paced movies with an action scene every 10 to 20 minutes when it comes to most big blockbusters and movies that stray away from that formula suffer from that.