baumer

Ready Player One (2018)

Grade it  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

15 hours ago, baumer said:

The Shining stuff was awesome.  I laughed and gasped when the music came on.  When the twins tell him to come and play and when he encounters the old woman in 237, I thought I could die at that moment and life would end on a perfect note.

I am still wondering if the Overlook Hotel was a replica of the set or CGI because it looked so real.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I am still wondering if the Overlook Hotel was a replica of the set or CGI because it looked so real.

I even liked how they made it look that "dirty, grain film appearance" and not in HD or anything 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 75Live said:

I even liked how they made it look that "dirty, grain film appearance" and not in HD or anything 

That attention to detail was incredible, I do think they could have made it a lot more like The Shining but that wasn't the point of the challenge.

Did anyone spot Marvin the Martian in one of the early scenes, I knew there would be WB references but it was nice that the Looney Tunes weren't forgotten. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

That attention to detail was incredible, I do think they could have made it a lot more like The Shining but that wasn't the point of the challenge.

I won't give anything away from the book but ideas like that came from it, which is all I will say.

But as for the movie part, yeah they could have even went farther with the Shining part but I agree with you that it wasn't the point of the challenge.  Still a great section though 

There was something I need to check again when I see it a second time and nothing to do with the Shining.

One of Wade's guns possibly was a Lazer Tag gun from the 80s, of which I still have two that work along with the helmet and machine gun version :P 

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

WHY WAS HALLADAY PLAYING A 5200 AT THE END

probably because it was actually a Colecovision ;)   but i'll confirm when I see the movie again to see what he was playing as a kid at the end

Edited by 75Live

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

probably because it was actually a Colecovision ;)   but i'll confirm when I see the movie again to see what he was playing as a kid at the end

Shit it probably was that.  all those dumb controllers that have numbers on them blend together for me.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Shit it probably was that.  all those dumb controllers that have numbers on them blend together for me.

oh I get that and the confusion

at first I thought it was an Intellivision until I saw the round controller part at the top of the number pad.  For some reason, making controllers look like a phone was the trend then :P 

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

The villains are basically EA. 10/10 fuck EA

At least they fixed Battlefront 2 and payed for it. The PS store is selling it for $19.99 until the 4th.

The new progression system greatly improved online play and made it way more competitive. Was so much easier to upgrade but the damage was already done.

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Did anyone spot Marvin the Martian in one of the early scenes, I knew there would be WB references but it was nice that the Looney Tunes weren't forgotten. 

didn't see this edit before I quoted last time.

Yes I saw Marvin and loved they put him in there :)  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 75Live said:

didn't see this edit before I quoted last time.

Yes I saw Marvin and loved they put him in there :)  

TBH there are so many references in RPO that I missed a ton. The classic Pizza Hut logo was both subtle product placement and a nod to BTTF, 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBH there are so many references in RPO that I missed a ton. The classic Pizza Hut logo was both subtle product placement and a nod to BTTF, 

yeah when the blu ray comes out, they should really have a special feature that outlines all the easter eggs.  Or else I will have to go through frame by frame :P 

On 3/29/2018 at 8:54 PM, captainwondyful said:

The LEGO Movie was better.

The LEGO Movie is better than 99% of films so not sure of your point.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:30 PM, That One Guy said:

Pretty much me.

I loved this film btw.  Pretty much what any blockbuster should aspire to be.  Fun as hell, epic, hilarious, well shot and directed, phenomenal pace, and probably one of the best uses of an F-bomb in a PG-13 in a while

What was the context of the f bomb? 

17 hours ago, baumer said:

I think I saw Harley Quinn in one of the dance scenes.

i don't recall any Star Wars characters, although people tell me they are in there, but there is a scene where Wade has a lightsabre.  

Harley Quinn talks to TJ Miller's character in the nightclub.

And no there is nothing from Star Wars sadly, Spielberg said Disney refused to allow it.

Oh, yeah I thought that was a really good line. Saved the one use of the F word for the most terrifying character in the movie. (or in all movies ever)

As for the film, I enjoyed it, although it really drags in places and is way too long, and the ending sucked, as per usual. Happy ending is fine in this film, but why does EVERYONE have to be happy? Why would the villains all be cheering and smiling when all their work has been destroyed and their company bankrupted? Why would all the players be happy when Perzival has killed all their characters?

I got bored of the easter eggs pretty quickly as I was involved with the story, I'm sure I missed most things. Favourite one must be the Starcraft one personally. I thought it would just be visual references, but very pleasantly surprised that it really wove them into the action and plot, and made the characters refer to the movies. Zemeckis Cube, Saturday Night Fever etc.

Not sure the rest of the audience got as many references, there were a lot that made me laugh and I was the only person reacting. Like the T2 thumb and Zemeckis Cube, as well as bits from the shining. But the more I was the only person getting it, the more I liked it.

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They definitely do reference the Millennium Falcon but I didn’t catch any other references

there was an X-wing in the film too

• Like 1