Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen (Y3) - Countdown Time!!

Dark Side

Poison and Wine & Truth Is are both.....interesting movies, to say the least. They're far from cinematic masterpieces, but in their earnest embrace of the trashy shlock that they are, it almost becomes irresistible to watch. Dark Side kicks everything up in these movies to 11....for better or for worse.

In terms of actual story merit....it's.....um...where do I begin? I joked about this in the thread, but my god, Tyler drives this movie off a ledge. I can see the sudden swerve into a life of fame get to him, but he makes such ludicrously horrible decisions with ultimately very little consequences, but the decisions themselves, even as we understand his perspective, make completely little sense. So after things look bad, we finally see that Hunter forgives him, and....okay, wait, I believe in forgiveness and all, but Tyler and Hunter's chemistry feels deader than ever here, in spite of them being married and having very....gratuitous sex scenes. It makes no sense that after every terrible decision they made (oh and by the way, the stuff with the Arabian Prince was fucking awful. He basically forces Tyler into a sexually compromising position and he ultimately takes the blame. Well that's fucked up. Thankfully Tyler makes countless more awful decisions to undermine his own character as well, so we can rightfully say he wasn't truly responsible for this) for things to be wrapped up with such a nice bow.

Image result for stop making bad decisions gif

Oh wait, except it isn't. Because we literally have a tacked on scene where Nicole suddenly comes into the spotlight. She randomly appears earlier in the movie, including an interview where everyone just kind of takes her at her word in describing Tyler and Hunter, because apparently rational thought is a crime in this movie's universe. So then we get a bizarre, out of nowhere fight where she FUCKING FALLS OUT OF A 90 STORY SKYSCRAPER. I mean, it was awesome, but because Nicole appeared so sporadically, it makes little sense and has little satisfaction. She was a much better threat in Truth Is. 

And then we get out happy ending, somehow whisking away the consequences of what came before and letting what's probably all told a messed up relationship just continue happily. Um, yeah, so the story's got issues, lots and lots of issues.

But it reaches the point where the movie almost enters Room and Birdemic territory. It's almost like the film wants to be awful and go out of its way to make bad choices, just like Tyler does. So in that regard, it's entertaining and somehow enjoyable to watch. I'm at once glad I saw it and desperate to find something to get its taste out of my mouth.

C-

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

Do Hunter and Tyler like to get kinky?

Joel does get his ass pounded by like five different characters in the movie, so...

Edited by cookie