Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen (Y3) - Countdown Time!!

1 minute ago, cookie said:

When you did your review you said Lotor wasn't as good as Defenders hmm-png-58912867-400.png

This newfound appreciation for Lotor pleases me tho :sparta:

I suppose I evolved on it. :)

Now you wait for Friday. The fun continues then. :)

Cataclysmic

It's no surprise that the film is a follow up to White Hurricane, and I admit that because my opinions of both films are fairly identical, with myself likely giving the edge to this film. Both titles stood out from typical disaster films with truly brilliant production value and a more controlled sense of pathos and buildup. The film's brilliant as it builds to its intense finale, and the disaster set-pieces are truly well done. Much like the last film, the decision to end the film on more of a downer note is pretty admirable and surprising.

While the opening stuff of preparing for the Earthquake is quite interesting and contributes to the film's effective slow burn, it does feel a bit overlong at times, and I didn't feel as convinced by Affleck's performance. The dynamic between JLaw and Pfeiffer is interesting, and we do get an impressive performance out of the latter. However, because JLaw's character is so self-centered a lot of the movie it's harder when the movie wants us to feel for her, and her final emotional scenes don't have the impact they should. There is a dynamic there, but I would give a bit more of the screentime for building up the explosion to developing the two women a bit more.

I still definitely liked it a good bit. Lots of interesting drama and terrific production values, but I'm not sure it left me as amazed as some of the earlier reviews.

B+

• Like 1

Battletoads

There's a good amount of fun to be had here, with some occasionally inspired humor and some clever visual gags (I may or may not have caught a reference to Bounty Hamster), but the plot feels too disjointed and overstuffed that the product feels a bit uneven and awkward. It's still a decently fun time, but it feels like a situation where the crazy hi-jinks and humor get in the awkward way of telling a clean, coherent story.

As for the other game universe movies, those were a bit more grounded and perhaps cliched, but this movie could have used a bit more grounding at times. It's fun, but it falls short of being something truly strong. Sorry @YourMother the Edgelord.

C+

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

There are three movies this year with Greek gods at the center. Good lord. (And by that I mean Zeus)

After the bank that War of the Gods and the first Odyssey made who can blame us for a mytholigical triad? :P 

• Like 1

God of War

It's definitely a pretty typical video game adaptation, but it's elevated a bit by Snyder's direction. While the story is pretty thin, (and a bit awkwardly episodic at times) and the performances themselves are pretty forgettable, the visuals are fairly well done, and the action sequences are quite enjoyable. Statham never truly meshed for me as a villain, but Momoa felt strong as Kratos, and he's certainly going to be eye candy to a few audience members himself.

Not too much else to say about it, honestly - it's a pretty fun time, but I'm not sure if it's one I'll particularly remember.

C+

2 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

I’ve been to the early 20th century south, I’ve been to Rapture, I’ve been to the Otherspace, I’ve been to Ancient Greece, and I’ve been to Khouga, among countless other places.

Next stop? Duckberg.

@cookie

LOOK INTO HIS PUPPY DOG EYES PASTA

:whosad:

YOU DON'T WANT TO MAKE SCROOGE MCTENNANT SAD

On 2018-04-28 at 12:22 AM, Isle of Pasta said:

So I guess there are 2 movies @cookie wrote this year longer than Rise of Lotor where a council disapproves of the villain's decision, but he/she doesn't care.

Reunion spoiler:

Daniel Craig's villain is going to use council power to seize control of the Galra empire away from Haggar so I'm going to flip the book next year.

Edited by cookie

9 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

So I guess there are 2 movies @cookie wrote this year longer than Rise of Lotor where a council disapproves of the villain's decision, but he/she doesn't care.

When we get to Mass Effect it'll be nonstop movies of the Council disapproving of the Normandy's decisions and just being hung up on.

• Haha 1