Grade it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Great cast (Isla Fisher is such an underrated comic actress), average movie. Has a handful of funny moments thanks entirely to the cast, but it's nothing you need to see until it randomly shows up on F/X in 2021 unless it's a Discount Tuesday. C+

I liked it quite a bit.  Fisher is terrific in it and it has some pretty funny moments.  The ending of it is really well done and there really wasn't anything I didn't like about it.

7.5/10

It’s really funny and that’s all I could ask for from a movie called Tag, but the ending is completely unnecessary and ends the film on a somewhat sour note for no reason. It’s like the filmmakers never had an ending and decided to go maudlin to try and give the film some gravitas. It doesn’t work and feels like a cheat. Helms’s tumor is never mentioned until the last ten minutes. If they wanted that to land with any sort of meaning, the very first scene of the movie should’ve been of him and his wife finding out and then having the game become his sole mission in life. Then it could’ve worked.

B

I enjoyed this movie a lot. It was incredibly fun. Obviously, it was over the top for like... the majority of the time, but I couldn't care less. I had some issues with it here and there... I didn't really like Hannibal Buress and Renner's performance, but on Buress part it's how his character was written while Renner simply seemed to only tune in occasionally. I assume it was because of his character being bad ass that he didn't care to drag it out into something more than a one dimensional being. Anyway... the biggest issue of the movie was the writing for one certain thing: Renner's relationship with the group. At no point do we even get the remote idea that Renner is as good a friend with any of group as they are between them. It went as far as basically barely having him share any god damn screen time with the main actors. If you cut out the segments where Renner appears, you barely lose any scenes in the movie that contain any of the main characters. It's ridiculous. 

But yeah. It was fun. I loved the ending. It explained things... but it wasn't really CONFIRMED or DENIED that it was legitimate, which seems to be a thing thats needed in this movie. 

A-/B+

Tag starts off pretty well. The ensemble seems strong and there are a solid amount of one-liners. Renner steals the show, although Fisher and Burress aren’t too far behind. Unfortunately, it succumbs to the biggest problem of mainstream comedy: it focuses way too much on hackneyed drama that actually leads to a massive downer ending. More importantly than the ending though is a completely misjudged comedic plot-point that takes place at the end of the second act. First it seems like it took a bit too far a turn into drama, but when it becomes a joke, the line has been crossed into very poor taste. Inconsistent humor and clear poor filmmaking decisions hurt Tag so much that it ultimately is one of the lesser big studio comedies in memory. Wasn’t really a fan at all. D+

(I don't usually do this, but consider this a trigger warning: if you have dealt with pregnancy loss, infertility, or are even just currently pregnant, I highly advise against watching this film, as there is an extensive unnecessary subplot involving miscarriages that is handled horrendously. It made me very uncomfortable as a young adult who has not encountered anything related to it, and thus, I'd advise completely avoiding this movie if you fall into any of those three categories.)