Ezen Baklattan

The House with a Clock in its Walls (2018)

The House with a Clock in its Walls  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give The House with a Clock in its Walls?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I quite enjoyed this.  I feels like a traditional Amblin Production from the 1980s.  There are a couple Back To The Future Easter Eggs that has me geeking out.  (AKA, They TOTALLY shot that on the Universal Lot.  I would know Hill Valley anywhere.)  Jack Black and Cate Blanchett are delightful together.  Renee Elise Goldberry is CRIMINALLY underused.  

I enjoyed this well enough. It's mind-blowing to think that this was made by the same guy that made Hostel twelve years ago but hey, we live in a crazy world right now. I never would've thought Jack Black and Cate Blanchett would make for an unexpectedly fun pairing but they do, and child actor Owen Vaccaro is appealing enough. It's very slight, but a fun throwback to a more old school type of family film. B-

Eli Roth is the only person I'd trust to do a Cirque Du Freak movie properly. I've never read this book and some of it had me going "Wait, this is for kids? Whoa!"

The kid could be better but he has time to learn. Blanchett really steals this for me, and I'm glad to see Black again.

It's fun! The first act is rough, but it becomes very enjoyable once everything settles in. The veteran actors are all fun to watch, and the kids are mostly fine but have some bad moments every so often. It feels like Eli Roth genuinely enjoyed making this, and it shows. 7.5/10 | B-