Crunching the Numbers: May the Fourth Be With Your Films

STORIES FROM EDEN

It starts off interesting as a low-key dystopian Western, but it kinda stalls and drags as it progresses and then the final act turns into a REVOLUTION AGAINST THE MAN! Film seemed confused as to what it really wanted to be, and it suffers for it, in spite of some good supporting turns and Marco Beltrami doing his thing.

4.8/10

Spoiler

I am pretty sure this got changed dramatically from the 2.0 version. I recall liking that one a solid bit.

ONE PIECE: THE JOURNEY BEGINS

It's actually a decent fun time, with a lot of inventive uses of a hero who is a rubber band. The film is well cast and there's a few good setpieces that amp up the energy. The issue is that the editing and pacing of the film is really choppy and it makes some parts of the movie a chore to get through.

6.2/10

Spoiler

@Reddroast It's something that comes to all players as they participate and write more, but the construction of the plot summary is definitely something to be worked on. There's a lot of paragraphs that go on for far too long, and it feels like there's a lot of run-on bits. Breaking things down into shorter paragraphs goes a long way when possible. It also feels like the summary needed a couple more passes to work on some of the grammar as well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

ONE PIECE: THE JOURNEY BEGINS

It's actually a decent fun time, with a lot of inventive uses of a hero who is a rubber band. The film is well cast and there's a few good setpieces that amp up the energy. The issue is that the editing and pacing of the film is really choppy and it makes some parts of the movie a chore to get through.

6.2/10

Reveal hidden contents

Holy crap @4815162342 i was expecting a much worse review

Earthsong Volume I: Haven's Guard

This is definitely an interestingly structured film. It's two kinetic and frantic and stunning action brawls that bookend A LOT of world building, lore, and exposition. And that exposition, wow there are two gigantic exposition flashback dumps that I waver between viewing as essential or too much too soon. The weirdest thing about the film is that it ends abruptly and suddenly, at the point where you think maybe we hit the second act downturn, but no that is the end. From what I understand this is to be a trilogy, and I am unfamiliar with the source material but based on the ending maybe they could have done some work to make it a duo? It is kinda hard to grade this movie because it really does lean into just being 1 part of 3 and it kinda lives and dies by that.

Still, as frustrating as the sudden ending that leaves the film kinda unfinished, there is a lot to admire and be enthralled with in the film, so long as you don't mind epic-length dialogue scenes and touring.

7.3/10

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

STORIES FROM EDEN

It starts off interesting as a low-key dystopian Western, but it kinda stalls and drags as it progresses and then the final act turns into a REVOLUTION AGAINST THE MAN! Film seemed confused as to what it really wanted to be, and it suffers for it, in spite of some good supporting turns and Marco Beltrami doing his thing.

4.8/10

Reveal hidden contents

Aside from the cast (which probably needed more attention).... I didn’t change it at all. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Really? I was sure that it was very different

Nope, lol.

Once you get to Extrasensory and Belmond Lane, those changed a bit, but only lightly. Belmond Lane got a bit more humor and less....pretentious, I suppose.

Given how Extrasensory and SFE are faring, I don’t have high hopes for Belmond Lane, but I wrote those 6 years ago so cut me some slack. :P

• Like 1

@4815162342 Fair enough! I knew going in the pacing was going to be really tricky, and I had to really debate on where to put the breaks between films. The comic lore is definitely super-dense. In the source material those two exposition dumps actually happened all at once, and I made up the final battle completely.

I was hoping the flashback battle WITHIN one of the exposition dumps would help keep things going and impose a three-act structure but admittedly it's less elaborate than the other two.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xillix said:

@4815162342 Fair enough! I knew going in the pacing was going to be really tricky, and I had to really debate on where to put the breaks between films. The comic lore is definitely super-dense. In the source material those two exposition dumps actually happened all at once, and I made up the final battle completely.

I was hoping the flashback battle WITHIN one of the exposition dumps would help keep things going and impose a three-act structure but admittedly it's less elaborate than the other two.

Because of how the film ended and presumably will pick up in #2, my ultimate grade for this film may alter a bit depending on how the trilogy as a whole shakes out.

• Like 2

Gonna take a break from reading films for the weekend, since tomorrow and Sunday I want to see if I can power through the rest of Fortnight.

I will then read the rest of the first half, but I will not take any review requests and I will not do any posted reviews unless something really, really deserves a mention for some reason.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

These are the current requested Second Half Films

Jaws: The Return

Amulet II

The AmityviIIe Nightmare

So feel free to make one additional request for the second half, that is not a film you have made.

Spark: Beyond The Sky. 

• Like 2