YM!

CAYOM Y4: Predictions

August 7th-9th

Endless Animation/Laika’s A Fool Errand (73 on Metacritic) is tracking at a decent $12M-$16M, which is the usual for a stop motion flick. The good news is it’s outpacing Halloweentown last year.

A Fool’s Errand: $17M/$70M (x4.11) (Yes reviews aren’t extraordinary but the fact that it has no family competition until The Second Crash Bandicoot means legs should be healthy even despite the path of Amulet II, shorter runtime will help)

August 14th-16th

Blankments’ By The Balls (78 on Metacritic and looking to enter the Best Picture race) is tracking at a strong $15M-$18M. 

By The Balls: $18M/$55M (x3.05) (Legs will be interesting for sure, on one hand I can see it pulling an Otherspace and get insane legs and the other I see WOM being very polarizing for this)

August 21st-23rd

Alpha Pictures’ Resonance is looking at a very strong $18M-$22M (68 on Metacritic) which is very strong for it and will definitely help it.

Resonance: $25M/$63M (x2.5) (Tulpa will definitely hurt its legs but WOM should help)

August 28th-30th

Gold Cresent’s Tattooed Teenage 4lien Fighters From Beverly Hills is tracking at $27M-$30M due to increased hype and being sold as the final chapter.

TT4FFBH: $30M/$75M (x2.5) (slightly weaker legs than two seems about right)

Guardian of The West: $27.3M

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

September 4th-7th (Labor Day Weekend)

Although they’ll be no big hits, the new openers are looking healthy nonetheless. Alpha Pictures’ biopic Citizen Welles is tracking at $10M-$15M for the three day and $14M-$18M for the four day despite mixed reviews (53 on Metacritic), and Lager Pictures Classics’ Tulpa is tracking very strong at $18M-$20M for the three day and $22M-$25M for the four day thanks to strong reviews so far (70 on Metacritic)

Citizen Welles: $11M/$14M/$35M (x3.18) 

Tulpa: $19M/$23M/$54M (x2.84) 

September 11th-13th

Blankments’ western comedy Big Enough is looking at $8M-$12M.

Big Enough: $8M/$18M (x2.25)

September 18th-20th

Gold Cresent’s disaster movie The Swarm (62 on Metacritic) is looking strong at $30M-$35M. Hot Shot’s sequel to Inside Man, Outside Man, is looking at $17M-$21M.

The Swarm: $35M/$95M (x2.71)

Outside Man: $17M/$45M (x2.64)

September 25th-27th 

What is likely to be one of the biggest weekends in September, both new openers are looking to blow the doors of. Both Blankments’ Lucid and Endless Animation’s The Second Crash Bandicoot are tracking strong at $35M-$45M despite mixed reviews for both (61 and 58 respectively on Metacritic) due to the latter’s lack of family films since The Last Day Of Summer and the former for the weird premise.

Lucid: $45M/$134M (x2.97)

The Second Crash Bandicoot: $40M/$135M (x3.38)

I’ve grown to lazy to write write ups but you’ll get one for December:

Jonny Jonny The Movie: $13M/$32M

Leviathan: $20M/$50M

Broadway Selects: Eugene O’Neill’s The Iceman Cometh: $4M/$12M

Extreme Dinosaurs II: $30M/$88M

Baked Sale: $17M/$55M

Bats: $5M/$15M

The Amityville Nightmare Part II: $50M/$110M

The Square Mile: $22M/$78M

3:37 AM: $6M/$11M

Samurai Pizza Cats 2: $18M/$52M (legs will be hurt since it opens the week after Wings and once Thymes comes it may be done)

A Wish For Wings That Work: $15M/$68M

Guys and Dolls: $2M/$30M/$114M

Crysis: $50M/$80M/$175M

Food Wars: $26M/$80M

Santa Claus: Ultimate Badass: $35M/$105M

Sir Thymes Time: $45M/$65M/$205M

Silent Hill: Restless Dreams: $55M/$75M/$167M

December 4th-6th

As usual, the weekend after Thanksgiving looks dire, but Infinite’s Liam Nesson action flick, Home Invasion is looking strong at $12M-$15M despite what looks likely to be negative reviews.

Home Invasion: $12M/$46M

December 11th-13th

Blankments’ doggy drama mystery, The Dogs of Babel is tracking very strong in the high teens despite mixed reviews (58 on Metacritic so far)

The Dogs of Babel: $16M/$60M

December 16th-20th

Despite Voltron: Reunion’s surprising and saddening delay, the crater sized hole should easily be filled by the highly anticipated and great reviews Spark: Beyond The Sky which is tracking high at $160M-$180M for the three day and $200M-$220M for the five day thanks to great reviews (so far it’s way better than Homeward and is currently on 90 on Metacritic)

Spark: Beyond The Sky: $160M/$225M/$600M

December 23rd-27th

Despite the giant behemoth in the corner, the competition for Spark: Beyond The Sky certainly aren’t slouches. 

Endless Entertainment’s musical reimagined remake of The Emperor’s New Groove is tracking strongly at $55M-$70M for the three day and $80M-$100M for the five day and reviews are on pace (75 on Metacritic) with Endless’ own Lilo and Stitch (which has the highest OW for a remake in CAYOM at $111M). 

Numerator’s Fortnight is also tracking very strong ranging from $45M-$60M as older males are the most interested as well as sky high reviews (93 on Metacritic) 

Kingdom of The Sun: $65M/$90M/$316M

Fortnight: $55M/$230M

A White Man, A Black Man: $20M

3 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

The only thing I’ll say about Spark 3 is that there will be a much bigger Wednesday/Thursday share of the 5-day weekend.

Yeah there’s absolutely no way the weekday shares are that low.

July 3-5 (Independence Day Weekend)

• Hoops - $5.7M OW / $13.9M DOM
  • Jaws: The Return - $62.6M OW / $164.5M DOM

July 10-12

• The Doppelganger - $18.7M OW / $52.3M DOM
  • I Am Omega: Part I - $9.8M OW / $22.2M DOM

July 17-19

• God of War - $51.5M OW / $143.6M DOM
  • The Princess Diaries 3: The Heir Apparent - $41.3M OW / $133.8M DOM

July 24-26

• Amulet II: The Last Council - $96.1M OW / $308.6M DOM

July 31-August 2

• Thundercats - $30.4M OW / $82.9M DOM
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The Princess Diaries 3: The Heir Apparent - $41.3M OW / $133.8M DOM

I don't want to be a jerk, and I know I'm always thought of as the pessimist, but I can honestly say I've never been more perplexed by a positive box office projection than this for a PG-13 sequel to a series of old kids' films that completely changes genre and which even the nostalgic now-20-something audience which may remain can't take their kids to anyway.

And I gave it a good review.

Edited by Xillix

2 hours ago, Xillix said:

I don't want to be a jerk, and I know I'm always thought of as the pessimist, but I can honestly say I've never been more perplexed by a positive box office projection than this for a PG-13 sequel to a series of old kids' films that completely changes genre and which even the nostalgic now-20-something audience which may remain can't take their kids to anyway.

And I gave it a good review.

Here's my response as the co-writer of the film: The Princess Diaries, unlike High School Musical, has not retained kid audiences over the years. However, it is viewed as a gateway for early loves for Anne Hathaway and Chris Pine among many people. A PG-13 doesn't limit kids from being taken, and indeed, the subplot with Storm Reid and Chris Pine is meant to appeal to kids even if the rest of the movie is aiming over. Although the film does take itself more seriously than the others, it's meant to be growing up with the audience, and I think it's still a very breezy film despite the political plot. The main demographic for this film is women in their 20s and up and to be a good date night film. Summer is lacking in that a ton, and I will be very surprised if it does sub-100M DOM considering it's competition. In all honesty, I find your predict baffling; I'd find 33M DOM a somewhat low-tracking OW for this.

I also don't know why I would release a kid-targeted movie right before Amulet anyway lol

Edited by Blankments

July

Hoops - $7.9m/$20.5m

Jaws: The Return - $78.6m/$208.3m (I think this will land somewhere in the middle of where everyone is predicting)

The Doppelganger - $13.5m/$35.8m

I am Omega: Part 1 - $24m/$59.8m

God of War: Retribution - $50.5m/$133.8m

Princess Diaries 3 - $39.4m/$119.7m (I think an opening around the adjusted gross of the original's OW seems fair)

Amulet II: The Last Council - $94.5m/$285.4m (Legs will be weak on this one imo)

ThunderCats - $28m/$80.6m

August

A Fool's Errand - $19.2m/$77.7m

By The Balls - $27m/$89.1m (I think this has the chance to break out)

Resonance - $21.6m/$51.2m

The Last Day of Summer - $5.2/$15.8m

Tattooed Teenage 4lien Fighters - $33m/$84.4m

Guardian of the West - $25.5m

• Like 1