Bluebomb

Intouchables OS - 409.0m!

I don't understand this chart at all, what does mean the heads of the columns ?

sorry I have posted similar statistics and did not bother to post the explanation again

here it is:

The theoretical values in million $ are the grosses of The Intouchables corrected for the Hollywood-Blockbuster-market size in each country. This size is determined by the sum of the 15 biggest Holllywood blockbusters of 2011 (local blockbuster are not taken into account) The table is sorted descending by this theoretical value. INT is the gross of The Intouchables in million $ in each country.

The theoretical values could be interpreted either what would have been America's gross with the same love for this movie or what would this country have grossed had it the same marketsize as America.

France >> Germany >> Europe > South Korea > rest

English and Russian speaking people down under

Oz best among them

Edited by Rudolf

Hi everyone,

I'm the one who track and post Intouchables admissions on the French wiki page (almost complete chart there, did you already read it ?)). I've been reading this forum for a few weeks/months but I think I want to post here too, your discussion is interesting, even if this english forum is less active than the French one on Allociné.

Welcome to this forum!

Users with insight into the french market are needed here, France is Europe's single biggest market (ok, not much bigger than the UK but it is bigger)

• Like 1

In France that's excatly Avatar's performance in USA : 19.4m admissions versus 97.2m for a population of 1/5th.Only Titanic seems above best performing movies in France : 20.7m (French record) versus 128m if I remember.

First of all, welcome to forums!!Are you saying that 1/5th of French population is 19.4 million or 1/5th of US population is 97.2? I guess you mean 1/3.On the other hand, Avatar did not sell 97 million admissions in US (I suppose you have mentioned the BOM figure). That number is calculated with average ticket price of 2009, but Avatar had an extremely high 3D ratio, so its tickets were quite more expensive than average. It is estimated that Avatar's average ticket price in US was about 10$, so it sold, more or less, 76 million admissions (about 24% of population). Intouchables is about 29% in France, so Intouchables in France is higher than Avatar in US ;)

Thanks for the comment, that's very interesting, I didn't know BOM was so amateurish ! I thought they were accurate, their methodology is so weak in fact ! Maybe it was good before the advent of 3D... Are you 100% sure they calculate from average ticket price of the whole market ?

Yes, BOM calculates admissions according average ticket price. It is a simple division between total gross and average ticket price. 3D, IMAX, offers, ... these factors are not included.

No, I was saying US pop = 5x France pop and Avatar admissions in US = 5x Intouchables admissions in France, same penetration rate/success. But as you mentionned, BOM's Avatar number is wrong, so...

Yes, French Intouchables success is bigger than US Avatar's