Bluebomb

Intouchables OS - 409.0m!

I've never seen a French movie dubbed in the UK, they always use subtitles as far as I can tell.

Why this hatred for dubbed versions?Ok you may lose some jokes: Yesterday I saw Intouchables in French with English subtitles (because my French is poor) after having seen the German version last week; differences I noticed:

in the German version Driss doesnot mock the German opera "Freischütz" also the Hitler jokes are different

Edited by Rudolf

I'm a big fan of Marty Feldman ... the poster doesn't have these eyes. But maybe I'll get a nicer Marty pic; can't have you scared or your nose will shrink.

Cool, your new Feldman avatar is much better because it has more contrast and is therefore much easier to remember! Edited by pinocchio

Why this hatred for dubbed versions?

I think dubbing is one of these things... you have to grow up with it to be able to tolerate it! :lol:Then there's the "snobbism" factor. Regular people rarely if ever go watch French movies in the UK, it's mostly a select audience of artsy intellectuals, who think dubbing is beneath them. We have the same phenomenon in France, most people watch their movies dubbed, except in Paris where theatres offer subtitled versions for the artsy fancy Parisians.I say that preferring subtitles myself, of course :P

I think dubbing is one of these things... you have to grow up with it to be able to tolerate it! :lol:Then there's the "snobbism" factor. Regular people rarely if ever go watch French movies in the UK, it's mostly a select audience of artsy intellectuals, who think dubbing is beneath them. We have the same phenomenon in France, most people watch their movies dubbed, except in Paris where theatres offer subtitled versions for the artsy fancy Parisians.I say that preferring subtitles myself, of course :P

To enjoy a movie in a foreign language, you must be really fluent and well used to colloquials and dialect and other idiosyncrasies. How can an English intelectual understand the French of the banlieus?

Since I'm from a german speaking country I'm just glad for example Schwarzenegger is dubbed very well here. I always collapse laughing on the floor when I hear his original voice and never understood Americans would accept his terrible accent.

The german dubs are well made but often important messages get lost in the process. For instance, Jodie Foster's dialect in "Silence of the Lambs" is an important part of her personality and helps define her standing with the force. All this gets lost in dubbing. Another example is Robert Downey jr.; his mumbling may often be hard to get but in german dubs you understand every word - so again you lose something of his personality even if you actually may understand more of the dialogue.Really, there's no perfect solution to this dilemma - I'm fluent enough in English (though Foster was hard to understand) but with French, I'm sure to miss some wordplay or complete parts of the dialogue if it's too fast (as french often is). Subtitles, on the other hand, take your eye away from the faces which are equally important in "getting" what's going on between characters. So, a good dub is propably preferrable to subtitles, but best would be to be fluent enough in every language :P

A big country like Germany with a huge TV industry and excellent stage actors of course has less problems to find excellent voices. Same should be true for France for example. For a smaller country like the Netherlands it's probably much more difficult to find great and experienced "voices" for dubbing.

Perhaps it really matters most how you grow up. In Austria in the 60s all movies were dubbed on TV except for scenes when they were singing (I hated those). Later to improve my English I took every chance to watch movies in English, but that was hard work. I can read a book in French (with a dictionary if I want to improve my vocabulary) and I can read a Russian newspaper understading the esssence. Of corse you can follow any action movie.

Take Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis as an example, is it really necessary to hear that peculiar dialect to understand the fact they speak differently? For Germany they invented a dialect to transport some jokes with words having dual meanings and it was commended by critics.

Since I'm from a german speaking country I'm just glad for example Schwarzenegger is dubbed very well here. I always collapse laughing on the floor when I hear his original voice and never understood Americans would accept his terrible accent.

The problem with Arnie speaking German ist that nobody understands his stoansteirisch-American dialect. He tryed in vain to get rid of his Austrian accent for years. When people accepted it, it became his signature feature.

The german dubs are well made but often important messages get lost in the process. For instance, Jodie Foster's dialect in "Silence of the Lambs" is an important part of her personality and helps define her standing with the force. All this gets lost in dubbing. Another example is Robert Downey jr.; his mumbling may often be hard to get but in german dubs you understand every word - so again you lose something of his personality even if you actually may understand more of the dialogue.Really, there's no perfect solution to this dilemma - I'm fluent enough in English (though Foster was hard to understand) but with French, I'm sure to miss some wordplay or complete parts of the dialogue if it's too fast (as french often is). Subtitles, on the other hand, take your eye away from the faces which are equally important in "getting" what's going on between characters. So, a good dub is propably preferrable to subtitles, but best would be to be fluent enough in every language :P

I am sure not even native speakers get all the jokes all the time :P