Blankments

Blanked Out Reviews, Y4 3.0 (A Retrospective As Well)

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

The Amityville Nightmare was in fact nominated for an Oscar - best actress for Anne Heche. Pushed Connelly for supporting actress too but no bites.

As to Silent Hill - fair. Extreme Dinosaurs... it's a meh blockbuster, don't personally think it's terrible (and evidently plenty of people enjoyed some of it) but opinions sure are wild. TTAFfBH and co. - again, fair. Comedy is maybe the single most subjective thing out there, further evidenced by the fact I still think the running joke about the "Greek" restaurant was the only effectively funny thing in By the Balls.

My Oscar comment was more in acknowledging the fact that I didn't think the immense detail was worth the pay-off in film. Actress is fine for it, lord knows we've had weirder nominations for acting awards, but this seemed like a serious attempt for Adapted Screenplay, which, IMO, is near impossible for a horror film like this to get.

As for TTaFfBH, and I'll get to this in my review of the fourth one, I think it's fascinating how you take the exact opposite approach in your B-movie franchise than I did in mine in 2.0. There are indeed funny moments in both of the films I've reviewed so far (not counting Samurai), but to me, and anyone who has read the original Chuck and Liams can attest to this, I think building on ridiculous levels of continuity on ridiculous concepts is hilarious and so since this franchise reboots itself essentially with each movie, that's a massive disappointment to me. You are a talented writer though, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by some of my thoughts on your Y4 films that you might not expect coming off of these mostly negative prequel reviews.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The original draft ends with Alex depowered and Kozar being saved by being injected with a serum that grants powers (Alex chooses to save him over restoring her powers). There's a fun/cute bit at the very end when his power spontaneously manifests and he's like a kid in a candy store.

I thought it'd possibly create a good thematic hook of how does a superhero live and do her job no longer with superpowers.

yeah basing on everything i've heard about Spark 2.1, sounds like I'd be much more interested in this version of the movie than the filler-in-character-arc-and-world-development movie we got.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

@Blankments will grades for the rest of the films be up after the top 25?

Grades along with reviews will be up for the rest of the films

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

My Oscar comment was more in acknowledging the fact that I didn't think the immense detail was worth the pay-off in film. Actress is fine for it, lord knows we've had weirder nominations for acting awards, but this seemed like a serious attempt for Adapted Screenplay, which, IMO, is near impossible for a horror film like this to get.

I was a lot more defensive of the first Amityville Nightmare at the time, haha. I've come to acknowledge it's pretty bloated. The biggest issue is that I literally wrote the treatment WHILE re-reading the novel, so I wound up having so much of the detail I liked from the book right there in front of me. Clouded my judgment as to what really fit/was needed for the film. I was more focused on what I DID cut (and believe me, surprisingly, I cut out a lot, entire characters and a whole subplot) than how much was actually still left.

Bracing myself for that EDII review though :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blankments said:

decided to look at a contemporary reaction of the only person I know who read Spark 2.1:

both of these vague hints sound like memorable bits that, IMO, the final film is seriously lacking in. then again, I may still be blinded by my anger of Sam Rockbot was a thing

Alex-Bot came out of nowhere in the final act and served no purpose. Jakey G’s villain overall did shit without any clear motivation for why he did any of it.

The original draft was worse. And Sam Rockbot was there and even more useless btw

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Not the strongest year for BP noms

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It's because we have god damn blockbuster boner

Don't blame the blockbusters because the Oscar bait was shit

Edited by cookie
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

*shrug* I'd take Ripper and The Chrysalids over Homeward and the Scavenger Wars any day

The Chrysalids was a blockbuster 🤔

And Ripper isn't more Oscar-worthy than SW is and I damn wrote the thing lol