Blankments

Blanked Out Reviews, Y4 3.0 (A Retrospective As Well)

I will review every movie of Y4. However, first I will read the list of required sequels which are:

On 9/25/2018 at 5:02 PM, Xillix said:

Here are the links, though for me at least it seems there's an issue where they sometimes send you to the bottom of the page instead of the specific post and you need to scroll up to find the right movie:

American Dragon: Jake Long

The Odyssey: The Spoils of War

The Odyssey: The Counsel of the Dead

Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

Ta2ed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad (For the sake of understanding some elements of the new Alien Fighters)

Crash Bandicoot

Extreme Dinosaurs

The Amityville Nightmare

Treasure Planet

Voltron: Rise of Lotor

After this I will post reviews by the month of every film. Don't expect more than 3 sentences and a grade for a review.

When I'm done with either the first half or second half of the year (depending on the progress of my own projects for Half 2 of the year), I will read a selection of films from 3.0 before I joined and review them. You are allowed to ask for one of your own films and another player's film. Please do not suggest a 2.0 film as I've read them all already and will find it dull. Those films will be listed here:

Hope to get the prequel reviews up later today (be aware I'm skipping Amulet 1, Pokemon 1, and Our City 1 as they were all 2.0 films).

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

oh and to be clear: I will be reviewing every film besides my own in-house productions. Meaning, yes, I plan on posting reviews of Jonny Jonny, High School Musical 4 and the EssGeeKay films, and it's up to you to figure out if you wanna include that within the aggregate

On 10/3/2018 at 1:45 PM, Xillix said:

Alllllllllllso here's the link to Silent Hill: Innocence Lost.

I made that post before I admitted the sequel was coming this year :P

can i have the links to Samurai Pizza Cats 1 and the Spark movies @Spagheditary

also God of War 1 @YourMother the Edgelord

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

January

Johnny Test – in a way, I’m impressed in how this is the quintessential Michael Bay movie; there’s no fun cheese to be found in the usual self-parody Bay has recently found himself in. This is just hard to watch and even find any enjoyment in, feeling like a true Bay blockbuster. The cast is weirdly mixed too with actors who fit right in and ones who must’ve been blackmailed into it. I wish it had some aspect ratio switching tho, would’ve upped it a half star then. 0.5/5

Dead Space –glosses over major plot points and action sequences with rapid editing in the desire to fit a relatively short runtime. Still, it’s got a nice cast and I’m a sucker for space horror. 3/5

Haunting Hour – oh man i totally did not see that ending coming at all 1/5

Extrasensory – I’m not 100% here for the ending, but the first three-fourths of this film is solid pulpy genre storytelling, if a bit derivative. The cast is excellent and Morano brings an excellent voice to the proceedings. A very solid film. 3.5/5

The Mole – A bit convoluted to me, but it’s a nice spiraling tale that may have been better as a straightforward crime drama. Still, it’s got a good climax and a very good ensemble. Fun. 3/5

Baseball Boy: Swing for the Fences – why was the cast of this just spider-man actors? does this mean I’ll get topher grace and tom hardy as villains in the sequel?

(the funny dark ending upped this a half star tho) 2/5

When a Stranger Calls –I miss the old Kanye, straight-up no Kanyes, get out of movies Kanye, that’d be my goal Kanye. 0.5/5

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

February

Blue and Gold – This is fun and all but I feel like there was a huge missed opportunity in making Booster Gold such a young character. My familiarity with the character has never had him be this young, and the film’s emotional core could be a lot stronger with him being significantly older. Other than that, this is a solid superhero flick, although lacking a strong identity. Michelle Rodriguez steals the show. 3.5/5

(Pokémon: The Journey Begins – John Boyega as Brock is perfect casting. This was a very nice blockbuster that was enjoyable and nostalgic; that seemed to use equal influence from the games and from the anime. Overall, hard not to be charmed by this. 4/5)

Pokémon: Rise of the Rockets – I liked the first one a bit more with it’s more adventure-based tone but the care and love is still here. This remains a nice bubblegum franchise with good action and charming characters. Glad we’ve got this being done well. The post-credits gets me hyped for round 3. 4/5

Son of Rosemary – okay… so I kinda liked this? Don’t get me wrong. It’s bad but it’s a fun-bad. The sequel Rosemary’s Baby (which is super overrated in real life) deserved, it’s cool to see Mia Farrow as a lead and this film is ridiculous in contrivances. I chuckled a good amount reading it. Very fun. 2.5/5

Imagine Dragons: The 3D Concert – Okay. 1.5/5

The Female Man – Some cool ideas but it left extremely confused with its blank characters and convoluted world. 2/5

Stories from Eden – I won’t hit hard on the casting choices; others have already done that. How’s the plot? Eh, it’s fine but derivative. The world is intriguing but could be more fleshed out and honestly, it’s just a fine movie; not a particularly great one. 3/5

• Like 4

March

One Piece: The Journey Begins – I hate to add to the dogpile but I just found this unreadable for a large portion of it. It seemed interesting and like you may have nailed the tone, but it was such a hard read I couldn’t like it much at all. (Also Jon Watts is a poor choice for this imo.) 2/5

Pillars of Eternity: The Hollow Vale – oh my god, Numbers why would you do this to me lol. This dense mythology with crazy character names that are hard to keep track really made this a hard read for me, especially when I’m not into fantasy. That said, this is well-plotted, has excellent action scenes, interesting characters, and has an intriguing world but I don’t really think it’s for me, if that makes sense. It just totally is out of my wheelhouse in every way. I still admire the craft put into it though. 3.5/5

Spirit Curse – Generic horror trash that’s way too repetitive. 1/5

Can You Imagine? – first off, I just wanna say the main cast of this is incredible. All of them perfectly fit their roles and it’s eclectic enough that it doesn’t feel like too much. As for the film, it’s charming, features strong adventure, and is plenty imaginative. A winner in my book. 4.5/5

Carnosaur – Solid B-Movie. Moderately entertaining and features a strong cast. 3/5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

Can You Imagine? – first off, I just wanna say the main cast of this is incredible. All of them perfectly fit their roles and it’s eclectic enough that it doesn’t feel like too much. As for the film, it’s charming, features strong adventure, and is plenty imaginative. A winner in my book. 4.5/5

Glad you liked it and thanks for the review.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Hard to imagine him nailing the swashbuckling tone. You're also talking to someone who found Homecoming mediocre and Cop Car downright bad

Thats fair.  Also No one dogpiled on me for this film. Just some constructive criticism that was justified.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Hard to imagine him nailing the swashbuckling tone. You're also talking to someone who found Homecoming mediocre and Cop Car downright bad

Spoiler

I do not understand the Homecoming dislike but whatever, you do you.

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

I thought Jon Watts worked well for One Piece given the lighter tone.

So did I. The humor was a bit mismatched but he was definitely the right director.

8 minutes ago, Rorschach said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hot Take: Venom > Spider-Man: Homecoming 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

So did I. The humor was a bit mismatched but he was definitely the right director.

Hot Take: Venom > Spider-Man: Homecoming 

That's a very spicy opinion you got there.

Spoiler

Venom was extremely entertaining though. Not too many boring moments for me. 

Still, doesn't mean it was better than Homecoming (imo)

• Like 2