WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Napoleon trailer has 37M views and nearly 400k likes. That movie had a lot of buzz before the eventual bad reviews hurt it.

Trailers stats on YouTube was consistently above Gladiator 2, and yet no backlash over the white rock song. 

There's absolutely now way that there was more buzz for Napoleon. This just shows that trailer views are useless, then.

37 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I think it's simply because there are many more eyes on Gladiator than there were on Napoleon.

I saw some complaints about Radiohead song. But not because of the genre, the comments said it just didn't fit and sounded lame.

Not only Jay Z sounds ridiculous here, there's a trend to put rap in everything and it's especially wierd to hear it in historical stuff. "Those about to die" from Roland Emmerich faced the same backlash.

Did anybody hear the song in 7th episode of Acolyte? No, it wasn't rap, tv series is fantasy, but I was loughing when I heard it in Star Wars project. 

And do you think people would have been happy if we put Dr. Dre song in Titanic trailer? Not sure

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

the likes are becoming more and more because now it's attacked from certain groups for a specific reason. So your trailer still has too much Denzel Washington to not being dislike bombed. 

A black gladiator slaver coming (very probably) from North Africa is unrealistic. English Actor Oliver Reed coloured  too loo like an arabic descendent was totally ok of course

images.jpg

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elessar said:

There's absolutely now way that there was more buzz for Napoleon. This just shows that trailer views are useless, then.

I agreed, Gladiator clearly have way more cultural impact and will be more succesful than Napoleon even if it had 1/10 of it’s trailer views, this is a fact.

Still, since this whole backlash thing is extremely online and based on the amount of negative engagement, is fair to say that in this specific category, Napoleon was bigger and didn’t have any backlash despite a similarly structured trailer, so i think the point stands. 

13 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Not only Jay Z sounds ridiculous here, there's a trend to put rap in everything and it's especially wierd to hear it in historical stuff. "Those about to die" from Roland Emmerich faced the same backlash.

But what’s exactly wrong with putting rap songs in historical stuff? It’s just promotional pieces, Gladiator itself is so far of being historically accurate, it just sounds like a stupid excuse. 

This is Hollywood entertainment, not a discovery channel documentary. The whole thing is either made up or twisted from the reality. I also think the editing of the trailer isn’t great, but if people see a giant rhino fighting with a man and their breaking point to be pissed about “it’s not realistic historically” is a Jay Z song in a simple trailer than well, they need help. 

I have a very strong theory of why some groups feels entitled to the cultural supremacy of the Roman Empire and get easily offended to see other cultural groups mixed with it in 2024, but maybe this is not the place for it, idk.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

I got you beat Erik.  I simply burned The Battle of Carthage to a CD.  Nothing like preparing yourself for a hard day at work than listening to that.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I agreed, Gladiator clearly have way more cultural impact and will be more succesful than Napoleon even if it had 1/10 of it’s trailer views, this is a fact.

Still, since this whole backlash thing is extremely online and based on the amount of negative engagement, is fair to say that in this specific category, Napoleon was bigger and didn’t have any backlash despite a similarly structured trailer, so i think the point stands. 

Somebody said we just wanted to hear the iconic theme, that's what people associate Gladiator with, i think that's also part of it.

I'm not arguing against your point, the anti-woke movement has become so ridiculous, nothing would suprise me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But what’s exactly wrong with putting rap songs in historical stuff?

Weeeeell, everything? I'm not a fan of rap in general and popular music of all kinds in trailers usually don't work for me. I want "epic film" music in my trailers, especially for these kind of movies. When it comes to this, i'm a conservative, i guess.

I get it, these trailers are not made necessarily for me but for the average Joe...

• Like 1

Just now, Torontofan said:

Denzel so far is the most talked about draw right now of all the actors here

idk what you guys talking about a racial backlash to him lolz

Two things can be true at once. To be clear, i don’t think anyone is saying “all people are being racist in their complains”, this is absurd. 

Is just that US is in the middle of an all time high divided people, Denzel is the most beloved actor indeed just like in many platforms the trailer was well received, and yet this doesn’t stop some groups of being weird about it, which is the point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Weeeeell, everything? I'm not a fan of rap in general and popular music of all kinds in trailers usually don't work for me. I want "epic film" music in my trailers, especially for these kind of movies. When it comes to this, i'm a conservative, i guess.

I get it, these trailers are not made necessarily for me but for the average Joe...

This is fair, in a personal level i get it is just a matter of taste. 

But you have a reasonable healthy response to it: it’s not what you wanted, but you recognize that is not necessarily made for you so the decision is valid in some degree.

To some people this is the difference, they can’t accept that not everything is made to appeal 100% for them and then go insane, which seems to be the case with the organized attack that seems to be ongoing in YouTube.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Denzel so far is the most talked about draw right now of all the actors here

idk what you guys talking about a racial backlash to him lolz

the movie for me it's gonna be a success and Denzel will help to sell tickets.

But as someone said two things can be true at the same time. There also an audience was already "disturbed" by the idea of blacks on ancient Rome. The fact they also used a rap song by jay z made the movie now like a full target cause now they decided they clearly wanted to make a wuokke movie 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

But what’s exactly wrong with putting rap songs in historical stuff? It’s just promotional pieces, Gladiator itself is so far of being historically accurate, it just sounds like a stupid excuse.

You say it in a way like there's someone complaining "but rap didn't EXIST in Ancient Rome!!! It's not accurate dipiction!!"

It just doesn't feel organic. What will be next?  Should we put Nicki Minaj's Anaconda in Dune Part 3 trailer and call people recists if they don't like it?

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

32 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

You say it in a way like there's someone complaining "but rap didn't EXIST in Ancient Rome!!! It's not accurate dipiction!!"

It just doesn't feel organic. What will be next?  Should we put Nicki Minaj's Anaconda in Dune Part 3 trailer and call people recists if they don't like it?

while black sabbath are organic on a Napoleon biopic?.  

Can't believe we're still talking about the use of a song on a trailer (not a movie) with just the intent to pumping the scene (action movie!) by being an uptempo song. I'm not an expert on how music it's build but this are the typical songs used on gym - running playlists together with some of the classical -orchestral music cause their rythm or whatever is very similar. So there is a scientific reason behind the choice of this song. And the song it's not even in the original version but in an orchestral version specifically remixed. A best of both world. 

I mean action movie pumping the scene (orchestral music, rap, rock etc..). 

In a romantic movie you have to make people feel the sentiment...how many modern pop love songs have been used on trailers of period drama?. I can't count them.

I would have prefer the use of the old theme too but it's not like my opinion on a trailer can be based on a song choice. The general reaction is so exaggerated  🤣🤣

Edited by vale9001

44 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Go read a bunch of the YouTube comments, you´ll be surprised lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is fair, in a personal level i get it is just a matter of taste. 

But you have a reasonable healthy response to it: it’s not what you wanted, but you recognize that is not necessarily made for you so the decision is valid in some degree.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is Hollywood entertainment, not a discovery channel documentary. The whole thing is either made up or twisted from the reality. I also think the editing of the trailer isn’t great, but if people see a giant rhino fighting with a man and their breaking point to be pissed about “it’s not realistic historically” is a Jay Z song in a simple trailer than well, they need help. 

These are just contradictory statements. The first one is premised on establishing the fundamental invalidity of such an aesthetic preference. I like the newer statement because I just think the former one is a common but obviously wrong point. People constantly set up false dichotomies centered around what is or isn't true in historical fiction that obviously don't map onto people's real world opinions. 

The way stuff does or doesn't break a vaguely established historical (or literary) immersion is inevitably going to be a matter of individual taste. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Go read a bunch of the YouTube comments, you´ll be surprised lol

How sad for those people when they realize that Hans Zimmer orchestral themes didn't exist in ancient Rome either.

• Haha 2

This is getting ridiculous, now it's about Jay Z skin color? People are crazy. Napoleon trailer song didn't get backlash because: a) it wasn't rap. b) it simply fits a lot better. That's it. Eminem is white and Paramount using his song would've gotten backlash as well.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Because it doesn't sound good? It's simply in poor taste.

Edited by Firepower

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

now its about Jay Z skin color?

Napoleon trailer song didn't get backlash because: a) it wasn't rap

It's simply in poor taste.

Now let´s think just a little what rap and race have in common...

Why the rock song fits well and the rap song is ´´poor taste´´ ? In a cultural level, this goes beyond personal taste, a gigantic amount of people thinks the exact same and it falls in the ´´high fine art´´ and the ´´low poor art´´ discussions.

Your own post have a strong classicism idea imbued in it ... one of them fits well with the imagery, the other don´t. These art principles comes exactly from Greek and Roman figures and they directly dialogues with race.

I´m saying this very respectfully, don´t you think i´m accusing you of anything, i´m really not. I just think you´re reaffirming a lot of ideas that are common sense and everyone talks, but these ideas does have a historical element in them that goes unnoticed because they´re now perceived as simple truths.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1