cookie

The Letter Grades Strike Back aka Cookie's Corner Y5

Glad you enjoyed it a lot!

My plan for the sequel is to create two new concurrent adventures, one where Nadine/Y are the focus and Tig/Donny in the other. The non dominant team will still have a small supporting role in the others’ focus film. They’ll team up again for a two film final arc. (pieces of which were subtly set up here...)

This way, the characters get more of a chance to shine and focus on themselves. Also, I’m going to do what I did for Spark and give each of the two films a unique director and flair, although Goddard will return for the final team up.

• Like 1

Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters

This is pretty stuffed for being 141 minutes.

There's a lot happening, or rather it takes many stops before it gets where it has to go, thus a lot of it feels very episodic despite a very promising start. As much as I love both Shuri and my man Idris, their whole bit can be cut and I don't think the plot would've been impacted one bit. It really feels like more of a side story than anything.

The strength of this movie - besides the many imaginative worlds and creatures despite there perhaps being too many of them - lies in the buddy cop dynamic between Hal and Sinestro. If this series is going to stand out among the space operas that have graced this game (Spark, Voltron, Scavenger Wars, Mass Effect) I think further sequels should hone in on that aspect.

I think ultimately what this needed was to be more streamlined because I really don't have many complaints besides that. All the individual pieces are fun and the cast does a fine job. It just needed an editor to come in and a chop a few things out.

B

Spoiler

You were looking at an A- had you maybe cut some bits out and had them arrive at that Mustafar-esque planet much earlier.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters

This is pretty stuffed for being 141 minutes.

There's a lot happening, or rather it takes many stops before it gets where it has to go, thus it becomes a test of patience by the end despite a very promising start. As much as I love both Shuri and my man Idris, their whole bit can be cut and I don't think the plot would've been impacted one bit. It really feels like more of a side story than anything.

The strength of this movie, besides the many imaginative worlds and creatures despite there perhaps being too many of them, is the buddy cop dynamic between Hal and Sinestro. If this series is going to stand out among the space operas that have graced this game (Spark, Voltron, Scavenger Wars, Mass Effect) I think further sequels should hone in on that aspect.

I think ultimately what this needed was to be more streamlined because I really don't have many complaints besides that. All the individual pieces are fun and the cast does a fine job. It just needed an editor to come in and a chop a few things out.

B

Hide contents

You were looking at an A- had you maybe cut some bits out and had them arrive at that Mustafar-esque planet much earlier.

Out of likes but thanks. Im hopefully the others like it. Admittedly, it did need some streamlining, but I digress.

The sequels will be all about the relationship between Hal and Sinestro, and how it evolves. That’s the main reason why I greenlighted it so quickly.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Out of likes but thanks. Im hopefully the others like it. Admittedly, it did need some streamlining, but I digress.

The sequels will be all about the relationship between Hal and Sinestro, and how it evolves. That’s the main reason why I greenlighted it so quickly.

I think either you should have cut out some location traveling or left out Hal Jordan's origin and just have the movie start with him as a rookie Lantern and have them jump into the action right away.

Edited by cookie

Just now, cookie said:

I think either you should have cut out some bits or left out Hal Jordan's origin and just have the movie start with him as a rookie Lantern and have them jump into the action right away.

Fair enough.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Tomorrow I'll power through the @Slambros triple threat (Pasta's review of Yin piqued my interest) and then OPM following start of requests on Friday.

What about Squirrel Girl? It was in the SW round.

Yin

So that's why Joel wasn't in The Scavenger Wars Part II; he took a bunch of bath salts and went to SeaWorld.

I kid, but this is definitely one of the weirder experiences I've come across in CAYOM. It's probably something that's going to leave more than a few audiences scratching their heads, but does it work when you adjust yourself to its out there plot turn?

I'd say... it does work. Quite a bit.

The strength of this movie lies with Daniel Henney. I don't say this just because I'm biased, but if Voltron and Scavenger Wars turned him into a rising star, this film cements it. The scene where he pulls over his car and looks his daughter in the eye is genuinely terrific, and his love and determination to get his daughter back and how the film's surprise twist connects to everything is honestly something to behold.

Spoiler

I didn't even mind the "it was all a dream" twist. Sure, it can be seen as a cop out, but the ending that came out of it is genuinely touching.

Some quibbles I could give is that I would've liked to have seen more of Martin's investigative side. Most of the proceedings is him just showing up and other people revealing what's going on to him.

Spoiler

I would've liked to see a real world equivalent to Gus as well given there were for everyone else, but it's possible I might have missed something.

I usually give newcomers to the game the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think I need to here. @Slambros has created something truly unique and if the way he writes it is how he'll approach his subsequent work I think he's going to have a bright future in CAYOM. Well done.

A-

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Yin

So that's why Joel wasn't in The Scavenger Wars Part II; he went to SeaWorld and took a bunch of bath salts.

I kid, but this is definitely one of the weirder experiences I've come across in CAYOM. It's probably something that's going to leave more than a few audiences scratching their heads, but does it work when you adjust yourself to its out there endgame twist?

I'd say... it does work. Quite a bit.

The strength of this movie lies in Daniel Henney. I don't say this just because I'm biased, but if Voltron and Scavenger Wars turned him into a rising star, this film cements it. The scene where he pulls over his car and looks in daughter in the eye is genuinely terrific, and his love and determination to get his daughter back and how the film's surprise twist connects to everything is honestly something to behold.

Hide contents

I didn't even mind the "it was all a dream" twist. Sure, it can be seen as a cop out, but the ending that came out of it is genuinely touching.

Some quibbles I could give is that I would've liked to see more of Martin's investigative side. Most of the proceedings is him just showing up and other people revealing what's going on to him.

Reveal hidden contents

I usually give newcomers to the game the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think I need to here. @Slambros has created something truly unique and if the way he writes it is how he'll approach his subsequent work I think he's going to have a bright future in CAYOM. Well done.

A-

Thank you man! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I'll be striving to write more films that are around the same scale as this!

I'm fully onboard the Daniel Henney train, now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1