Cinco de Numeros: El Crujido de Critica

11 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

TWO LONELY BOUNTY HAMSTERS

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the strong review!

Spoiler

I admit that I think the biggest issue with the film is that at times, it tries to alternate between touching on more genuine topics in a sensitive, poignant way and being an all out wacky action comedy, and I think the transition between the two (namely your main issue with the sudden climatic swerve) falls more in the nonsensical comedy kinda overtaking the attempts at more clear cut sincerity.

However, the big cameo scene does try to reinforce one of the film's major themes, albeit in a very over the top way.

Also, I'm pretty sure BH was #25 in your Y2 top 25, while this would have likely gotten around a top 10 ranking in the same year, so I'm guessing you liked this go a good bit more.

He-Man III: The Horror of Hordak

Spoiler

Let's be honest, there's really only one thing we want from a He-Man film, and this movie learns from the slip-up of its predecessor and jumps right into the action with a fast and furious pace, only catching its breath momentarily to recharge before launching back into action. The plot is incredibly simple (Evil Alien Warlord Invades) and aside from a few scenes about He-Man's insecurity and fear of losing comrades, the character development is essentially stagnant.

The film also throws a few curveball twists to shake things up, which is not unwelcome as it helps keep the film from being too much of a mindless hack and slash. It's a fun ride, mostly a dumb one, but the production values and sincere cheese and corn help.

Third act spoiler:

Spoiler

Also, for a film called the Horror of Hordak, it ends up really being the Sneaky Strike of Skeletor

7/10

Edited by 4815162342

6 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Thanks for the strong review!

Reveal hidden contents

I think the film went in a more mature direction most of the way rather than just repeat the first one's antics, which accounts in part for the grade bump.

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I think the film went in a more mature direction most of the way rather than just repeat the first one's antics, which accounts in part for the grade bump.

Spoiler

Basically after the Christmas movie and the third film, the series will end.

Trying to move towards a more mature yet also sweeter feel for the finale. STORKS, while not an amazing film otherwise, does actually a pretty decent job of this.

American Dragon: Flash Point

Spoiler

The conclusion (?) to the American Dragon saga gets off to a slow and kinda meandering start, with a lot of time spent on Jake showboating, WWE stand-in, and just relative innocuous stuff. However once Jake and his friends are captured by Chang, the film takes off and gets a lot more interesting and involving. There are still bits of slow pacing, but the pieces are falling into place and when we reach our third act showdown in Hong Kong at the Thousand-Year Assembly, oh boy does the film unleash upon the audience.

I've accidentally deleted stuff or lost stuff before after putting a bunch of work in, so I know the frustration Xillix. Let me say though that the fact that you did a more simplified bullet-point style to summarize the big showdown doesn't detract from it. It still conveys very well the scale, energy, and intensity of the clash with the Dark Dragon, and the thrilling showdown helps bump this film up a few notches. I would have liked to see a little more development with Jake and Rose, but I understand the plot need to have them separated for a sizable chunk of the movie. I also would have liked to see more involvement from Lao Shi, the character does feel somewhat underutilized until the climax.

It's a solid way to go out, if this is indeed the end.

7.5/10

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

So TSW2 tomorrow?

Not a chance I am getting to that tonight.

But these comments others are making about Ben Foster has me curious about him being similar to a person in a film I wrote for this year...

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Not a chance I am getting to that tonight.

But these comments others are making about Ben Foster has me curious about him being similar to a person in a film I wrote for this year...

Not having read POE2 I can't answer for those comparisons but haven't you been pretty open about the alt-right element in the movie?

Edited by cookie

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

Not having read POE2 I can't answer for those comparisons but haven't you been pretty open about the alt-right element in the movie?

Hell, even TLBH is an indictment of incel culture. Is this the year we just all decided to fight neo-nazis?

6 minutes ago, cookie said:

True. Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character is very much a stand-in for a shiller of America First Populism preaching to the masses.

Edited by 4815162342

19 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Hell, even TLBH is an indictment of incel culture. Is this the year we just all decided to fight neo-nazis?

Y’all are just jumping on the bandwagon after a divisive satire somehow became a blockbuster and walked away with 3 big oscars ;) 

Here the reviews for tonight:

The Scavenger Wars Part II

Medusa

The Epsilon Syndicate: Union of Thieves

In the Valley

Tomorrow night:

Bambi: A Life in the Woods

A Woman in the Crowd

Sabrina

After that I go dark and read everything, and then Stage 3 happens.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1