Cinco de Numeros: El Crujido de Critica

Sabrina

Spoiler

As previously mentioned, the way the writing is structured to basically be scene after scene of dialogue was not the right way to go. There's nothing wrong with highlighting particular segments of dialogue here and there, but it should be used strategically.

I have zero familiarity with the source material, but it felt odd that the film gave far less attention and focus to the people you'd think would be of central importance to a story like this. Teddy spends most of his screentime sulking or devolved into feral instincts, and Sandra is given token scenes where she gets emotional, but never seems to really develop as a character. While Calvin's material is by no means uninteresting, a lot of the stuff with Special Investigations or general work shenanigans felt like they might have been better served being traded away to give us more time and material with people more central to Sabrina's disappearance.

There are interesting uses of tone and mood, which give the film a constant air of ominous oppression over the audience, though with the jamming of so much into its frame, it sometimes overwhelms the audience with the characters' recurring despondency.

@Slambros you have an eye for details and presentation, but in this case it got lost underneath all of the stuff put in. The film lacked a dynamic energy that helps make these long-winded stories, of which I am guilty of a few, move along easier. You will get there.

5.5/10

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Sabrina

Hide contents

As previously mentioned, the way the writing is structured to basically be scene after scene of dialogue was not the right way to go. There's nothing wrong with highlighting particular segments of dialogue here and there, but it should be used strategically.

I have zero familiarity with the source material, but it felt odd that the film gave far less attention and focus to the people you'd think would be of central importance to a story like this. Teddy spends most of his screentime sulking or devolved into feral instincts, and Sandra is given token scenes where she gets emotional, but never seems to really develop as a character. While Calvin's material is by no means uninteresting, a lot of the stuff with Special Investigations or general work shenanigans felt like they might have been better served being traded away to give us more time and material with people more central to Sabrina's disappearance.

There are interesting uses of tone and mood, which give the film a constant air of ominous oppression over the audience, though with the jamming of so much into its frame, it sometimes overwhelms the audience with the characters' recurring despondency.

@Slambros you have an eye for details and presentation, but in this case it got lost underneath all of the stuff put in. The film lacked a dynamic energy that helps make these long-winded stories, of which I am guilty of a few, move along easier. You will get there.

5.5/10

This review makes a lot of sense to me! I basically adapted the source material with no regard to its narrative flaws, and I could've definitely taken more creative liberties with the story than I did, so that's on me. I also could've emphasized dialogue a little less, though, as I believed the dialogue was an integral part of the source material, I allowed myself to be stubborn. But I'll use this as a learning experience for sure! I can only get better from here!

Just now, Slambros said:

This review makes a lot of sense to me! I basically adapted the source material with no regard to its narrative flaws, and I could've definitely taken more creative liberties with the story than I did, so that's on me. I also could've emphasized dialogue a little less, though, as I believed the dialogue was an integral part of the source material, I allowed myself to be stubborn. But I'll use this as a learning experience for sure! I can only get better from here!

The way I see adaptations is that if you want it to be exactly like the source material, then just read the source material. If you're gonna adapt something, you should feel free to take your own spin on it and see where things take you.

• Like 1

So these were the 10 films reviewed in Stages 1 and 2:

A Woman in the Crowd- 9.5/10
The Scavenger Wars Part II – 8.9/10
The Epsilon Syndicate: Union of Thieves – 8.4/10
Two Lonely Bounty Hunters – 8.2/10
American Dragon: Flash Point: 7.5/10
Medusa – 7.4/10
He-Man III: The Horror of Hordak – 7/10 
In the Valley- 6.8/10
Bambi: A Life in the Woods- 5.8/10
Sabrina – 5.5/10

I will now proceed to read every other film in the Part 1 thread. After that is done, we will hit Stage 3, in which I will highlight the 5 worst films of the year.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I hate to be that guy, but....

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Tbh I just sort of arrive at my style by figuring out what I think would convey that particular moment and character action better (I rarely if ever do full exposition since that always to me comes across as very stiff).

14 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

So these were the 10 films reviewed in Stages 1 and 2:

A Woman in the Crowd- 9.5/10
The Scavenger Wars Part II – 8.9/10
The Epsilon Syndicate: Union of Thieves – 8.4/10
Two Lonely Bounty Hunters – 8.2/10
American Dragon: Flash Point: 7.5/10
Medusa – 7.4/10
He-Man III: The Horror of Hordak – 7/10 
In the Valley- 6.8/10
Bambi: A Life in the Woods- 5.8/10
Sabrina – 5.5/10

I will now proceed to read every other film in the Part 1 thread. After that is done, we will hit Stage 3, in which I will highlight the 5 worst films of the year.

* Silently prays 8.9 is good enough for top 5 placement *

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

In hindsight that was more of a 8.8-9.0.

I was a bit harsh on Year 3 films

So you'd say Part II is about on par with original, 'cause that seems to be the common consensus so far.

Actresses considered for the lead this goaround were:

anya Taylor Joy

jessica Rothe

Amanda Bynes

Hailee Steinfeld

i honestly went with ATJ because I thought it’d be funny to have the other Thoroughbreds lead the year after By the Balls

Glad you loved it! Speaking as someone vivid memories of your 2.0 opinion, you definitely dig it a ton more this goaround!

• Like 1