Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Quinquennial Edition (Guess My Top 25!)

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:
  Hide contents

Adrian admits deep down he’s a fan of superhero movies, noting Black Panther to be his favorite

Related image

Adrian: I would've seen Black Panther three times if I could.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:
  Hide contents

they both are huge fans of the rapper Rubbah, (think universe’s version of Kendrick Lamar)

But didn't Kendrick Lamar literally play earlier in the movie?!

That’s for number 2 if we get lucky.

Static Shock

Spoiler

I don't have too much to say on this one, but I will remark that Rick Famuyiwa's strong sense of direction, helping to stage some truly exhilarating action sequences, as well as capable main cast that rises to the occasion, it does feel a bit like a run of the mill superhero flick. There's some unique flair in some of the racial commentary (although I think it could have gone a bit further, especially in Adrian's plan) and the villain (who isn't gonna go down as an all time great, but still has strong moments), but as a whole, it doesn't do a whole lot that other superhero movies have done first. Either way, if you're looking for a way to beat the summer heat, you could certainly do a lot worse. It just doesn't quite have that *shock* factor.

Spoiler

B-

Image result for cher tweets

• Like 1

MYSTERY ROUND 4:

Spoiler

Rob Marshall's Steel Streaks @Xillix

Spoiler

Kenneth Lonergan's Wii Sports @Slambros

Spoiler

Joseph Kosinski's In The Valley @Xillix

Spoiler

Miguel Sapochnik's Pillars of Eternity: Never Far From The Queen @4815162342

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Wii Sports

Hide contents

I don't really have a review for this super bowl commercial turned into a 90 minute movie, I just wanted an excuse to post this:

https://gabrielgundacker.bandcamp.com/album/unofficial-wii-sports-soundtrack

Hide contents

D+

original-12392-1425071626-11.png?downsiz

Spoiler

Gabriel Gundacker is one of my favorite internet comedians, so I'm certainly less emotionally devastated than I would've been.

Steel Streaks

Spoiler

I'll be upfront on this...I don't really think that Rob Marshall was the right person to direct this. I'm all for directors reaching out of their comfort zones, but I would have gotten someone who can better handle the intensity and thrills of the action setpieces while still balancing the emotional beats.

One the film explores the issue of sentience and builds the relationship between RAID-1 and HOSS, then it begins to really kick into full gear. There are some decently thrilling race sequences, but the performances really are the driving force here. I do think that a bit of a deeper dive could have been done with the themes but it also seems like the filmmakers underestimated how resonant their film would be. I wish we got a bit more of a diversity in the exploration of its themes, as the second half feels a bit repetitive in places, but this is no doubt a surprising and compelling piece of cinema.

Thank you especially to @Xillix for showing us that you don't need a hefty word count to deliver a damn fine story.

Spoiler

B+

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In The Valley

Spoiler

The film's impressive tornado sequences, eerily recreated in film, are unfortunately this film's only saving grace. We're introduced to characters with fairly generic stories, not really getting to know them. The tornado comes, and....well that's pretty much it. There's a message about climate change tacked on at the end, but there's really very little to it besides that. It's interesting if you are interested in a VFX showcase, but there's little else for other moviegoers.

Spoiler

C+

Just now, Spaghetti said:

@4815162342 One thing that is important for me to understand to succeed in this game is my limitations. Not just as a writer, but as a person.

With that being said, there isn't a chance in hell I get to reading PILLARS II tonight.

I assumed you wouldn't