Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Quinquennial Edition (Guess My Top 25!)

Spoiler

All the while, we see Sam growing increasingly aggravated at Genos’s long-winded story and endless praise of him. He eventually cracks, yelling at Genos to keep his stories to 20 words or less next time.

How many words left, @Rorschach? ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:
  Hide contents

All the while, we see Sam growing increasingly aggravated at Genos’s long-winded story and endless praise of him. He eventually cracks, yelling at Genos to keep his stories to 20 words or less next time.

How many words left, @Rorschach? ;) 

Maybe I should’ve followed Sam’s advice :whosad:

• Thanks 1

One Punch Man

Spoiler

To say that this is an unorthodox blockbuster is...definitely a way to put it. It definitely has similar action beats and characterization to stuff we've seen before, but the whole tone feels surreal and bizarre, almost like they let Yorgos Lanthimos make a Marvel movie. Hell, I'd almost say that 90% of the humor comes from the dry absurdism of the world rather than wisecracks or banter.

I am also gonna say this now....this kinda was overstuffed. I don't think that trying to cram an entire season of content into one movie was the best route, although we do get a fairly good introduction of this world. I think the best route would have been to create a paralell story that achieves the main beats that you want to establish without feeling confined to the plot of the original. However, Sam's journey is still fun to watch unfold, and Taron Egerton brings the right badass power, awkward dryness, and sincerity to the role. Meanwhile, CyberKozar serves as a strong foil to him as someone who helps him reach a new purpose in life and revitalize his fighting spirit.

The whole world itself is crazy, with more cameos than you can shake a stick at and all kinds of heroes. This wild world and its rules help One Punch Man stand out amongst the crowd, and if audiences are willing to embrace its wild side, I think that there can be a lot to be enjoyed here. Aside from the kind of overstuffed plot (it kind of feels like they put three movie ideas in here, a bit more focus could have helped) my only other issue is that I kinda wish we got a bit more with Sam and Genos one on one, and the villains in this didn't truly move me (although they don't really have to - since Sam can beat them so easily they just go down). Still, it's so surreal and enjoyably off-beat that you're hooked.

Meet it on its wavelength, and you'll have a good time.

Spoiler

B+

Image result for cher tweets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

One Punch Man

Hide contents

To say that this is an unorthodox blockbuster is...definitely a way to put it. It definitely has similar action beats and characterization to stuff we've seen before, but the whole tone feels surreal and bizarre, almost like they let Yorgos Lanthimos make a Marvel movie. Hell, I'd almost say that 90% of the humor comes from the dry absurdism of the world rather than wisecracks or banter.

I am also gonna say this now....this kinda was overstuffed. I don't think that trying to cram an entire season of content into one movie was the best route, although we do get a fairly good introduction of this world. I think the best route would have been to create a paralell story that achieves the main beats that you want to establish without feeling confined to the plot of the original. However, Sam's journey is still fun to watch unfold, and Taron Egerton brings the right badass power, awkward dryness, and sincerity to the role. Meanwhile, CyberKozar serves as a strong foil to him as someone who helps him reach a new purpose in life and revitalize his fighting spirit.

The whole world itself is crazy, with more cameos than you can shake a stick at and all kinds of heroes. This wild world and its rules help One Punch Man stand out amongst the crowd, and if audiences are willing to embrace its wild side, I think that there can be a lot to be enjoyed here. Aside from the kind of overstuffed plot (it kind of feels like they put three movie ideas in here, a bit more focus could have helped) my only other issue is that I kinda wish we got a bit more with Sam and Genos one on one, and the villains in this didn't truly move me (although they don't really have to - since Sam can beat them so easily they just go down). Still, it's so surreal and enjoyably off-beat that you're hooked.

Meet it on its wavelength, and you'll have a good time.

Hide contents

B+

I'm glad you liked it! :) 

Yeah, I tried to streamline the season as much as possible to create a flowing narrative. Basically the first three episodes (everything up to the showdown with Carnage Kabuto) and the last three episodes of the season (the climactic battle) were the only ones that were kept (mostly) untouched. Everything in-between I tried to streamline down to fit the overall narrative. Admittedly, if I had spent a bit more time on it, I would've worked harder to streamline it down, but Bambi ended up being more of a priority for me than this did.

I'll probably be taking a page out of @cookie's book and pull a Voltron with the series (diverging from the plotline of the series so it pretty much becomes its own thing) given that the series is far from being over at this point and the second season of the anime is just now coming out within the next three weeks. I already have it mapped out in my head where the series is gonna go––there'll probably 2-3 more films after this one. 

• Like 3

Artifacts: Zephyr's Chest

Spoiler

So this is what became of that St. Clare film? I'm intrigued. But no Sasha Lane?! :(

Anyways, as a fun, Indiana Jones esque riff for families, it's pretty fun! There aren't too many surprises here, despite an unexpected element to the film's ending, but as a whole, Brad Peyton delivers on it being a fun, simple adventure movie. Moore and Steinfeld work as the leads, but their development together felt kind of forced, and I didn't quite buy into their chemistry as I did in Spider-Verse. Most of the ensemble delivers, and Dwayne Johnson is likely the standout, delivering what may surprisingly be the heart of the movie.

As a whole, there isn't too much else I have to say about this, but it's certainly a fun little movie.

Spoiler

B-/B

• Astonished 1