Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Quinquennial Edition (Guess My Top 25!)

The Scavenger Wars - Chapter II

Spoiler

Ambitious is certainly a word to describe this series, but also there's something to be said for the breeze of this adventure. It feels like reading a space serial or even something like Harry Potter, where @cookie had created a world so intriguing, so beguiling, you almost can't look away. You need to know what happens, how these characters relate, and how this world is built. It's no secret that The Scavenger Wars is one of my favorite films in the game so far.

I must admit....this film matches the quality of its predecessor! That being said, there are aspects where I actually think it's a bit superior, but likewise, aspects where it doesn't quite measure up.

The film's biggest strength are the two leads, Tamara and Lucina. Both are given ripe, wonderful material to work with, especially Lucina, who ends up stealing a lot of the movie. Lucina does well with what she has, offering a strong emotional arc to this film as more and more intrigue and drama happens in this world. This brings us to the next start of the show, Pidge 1, Pidge 2, and Alex Spark: The Bodacious Bugettes. Sunn is definitely the standout character of the lot, and it's exciting to watch her powers unfold, especially the relationship that ties her with Luna. I think more could have been done with Luna's relationship with Tamara, but cookie still does what is needed to ensure that they feel connected. Granted, I didn't feel the spark with them that I felt between Joel and Tamara. (But LGBugT is always cool in my books)

Sal, a bit ironically considering my obvious adoration for Sasha Lane, probably was on the weaker end of new characters. She does well with the material given, but I felt like her story was a bit under-cooked and thinly spread, especially with the big reveal that happens to her in the end. I suspect that cookie's setting her up for more in the sequels, but I will admit I was a bit let down. Speaking of villains, Jarek does work pretty well, even as he comes off as a smarmy Packer 2.0 (Which was explicitly mentioned, I admit) and has pretty eerie real world parallels. Ares is also set up as a fun villain, and the war of gods with Debicki set up seems to be really promising.

The film's scope really is massive, and while it's a bit hard to keep track of things, especially in the ending, which maybe could have used a bit more editing, you still find yourself beguiled by the gorgeous craft of this film. I think that the first film was arguably a bit stronger in most of its focus, but the ambition, scope, violence, beauty, and audacity of it really does blow the mind. And above all else, it leaves you begging for more.

Well done, cookie.

Spoiler

A- (but closer to an A than a B+)

Image result for cher tweets

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Yeah, I always figured Sal was going to be the shortfall. Thing is... there was a lot more of her in the film but as the deadline loomed I was panicking that the thing was going to feel bloated and so I cut a lot of stuff with her out. It's not even scenes removed from the outline, we're talking fully completed sequences. Probably my biggest regret is going to be tossing one part in particular that would've tied a lot of things together better.

Spoiler

I almost want to get going on The Lone Wanderers while I still have the universe and these characters fresh in my mind, and thus can develop them further.

Happy to hear IRL Pidge is the standout among the new characters since that's what I was hoping for. What I wanted to emphasize with Sunn and Luna's storyline is the fantastical element they - and Ares - introduce to the universe (the first movie had a little bit of it but not to this level), plus including a more adolescent-minded character mixed things up from the older characters just being sad, serious or grouchy.

How was Kenneth "I Got a Rock" Branagh tho?

Edited by cookie

1 minute ago, cookie said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, I always figured Sal was going to be the shortfall. Thing is... there was a lot more of her in the film but as the deadline loomed I was panicking that the thing was going to feel bloated and so I cut a lot of stuff with her out. It's not even scenes removed from the outline, we're talking fully completed sequences. Probably my biggest regret is going to be tossing one part in particular that would've tied a lot of things together better.

Happy to hear IRL Pidge is the standout among the new characters since that's what I was hoping for. What I wanted to emphasize with Sunn and Luna's storyline is the fantastical element they - and Ares - introduce to the universe (the first movie had a little bit of it but not to this level), plus including a more adolescent-minded character mixed things up from the older characters just being sad, serious or grouchy.

How was Kenneth "I Got a Rock" Branagh tho?

Spoiler

Ah, that does kinda make sense. I do think Sunn gets a bit uncharacteristically dark in places but it's pretty much always justified with the story.

And he was wonderful. 

• Like 1

A Woman in the Crowd

Spoiler

A few people in CAYOM have labeled this film as the best in 2.0 - it really does have a remarkable reputation, and just wait until Blankments tells you about the origin of the story. Personally, I really dug it, but I didn't get *quite* as caught up in its hype. Re-reading it again, however, you still have a very wonderful story on your hands, with a truly original and touching idea at its center.

Lyra is cursed to never be remembered. She tries to make friends in her new small town, even form love, but something always keeps her away. Anya Taylor Joy beautifully sells the performance at the heart of this film, combining heart, wit, sincerity, and an etheral beauty that helps the film sing. Her relationship with Milo does sometimes border on the sappy, and his relative tweeness despite a tragic backstory did sometimes get on my nerves. I think the crux of the story, while vital and empowering, does also make the first two thirds feel a bit slow and repetitive.

However, the third act. By golly, that third act.

I won't spoil what happens here, but needless to say, it speaks amazingly to how Lyra can create meaning in this world, and to the miracle of kindness and magic that everyday people can make happen, even as we know nothing on it. Definitely one of the few endings in this game to move me to tears.

Overall, I don't think it's perfect, but much like Lyra itself, it tries to be seen in a confusing world. And we see her. And we will remember her.

Spoiler

B+/A-

Image result for cher tweets

• Thanks 1