Eric Loves Rey

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

You weren't around for some other big openers, huh...

"And that’s what the Justice League box office tracking numbers are showing: the film is estimated to make $110 million domestically during its opening weekend and as much as $355 million worldwide in that same time period."

https://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-box-office-tracking-110-million/

“Mary Poppins Returns” hits theaters this Wednesday and has a 76 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. Independent projections are wide-ranging for most of this weekend’s releases, but “Returns” is tracking for a five-day opening in the $60 million range"

https://www.thewrap.com/aquaman-mary-poppins-vice-bumblebee-crowded-christmas-box-office/

I could keep posting, but tracking is not a guarantee of a box office floor...

Those estimate were not 65m down to 25m level.

Justice League had a 93.84 million start a 15% mistake

Poppins had a 32.33m start (almost on the nose of the $35m Disney projection) a massive 46% mistake

65m to 25m would be an 61.5% mistake.

Making prediction from tracking data on the start on a Wednesday when Christmas fall on the next Tuesday scenario is probably significantly harder than on a more classic weekend.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Van Helsing (2004)

In addition to your earlier posts about Sci-Fi - horror...

To me that was more a fantasy-horror-comedy-something in the over-the-top variation. Not as over the top as Spaceballs, but over-the-top significantly

Sony drops a bomb...20 years later. In a move that defies all known box office logic, Sony released the 20th Anniversary of CRUEL INTENTIONS over the weekend in 708 theaters, grossing just $258k, $365 per theater. Pretty sure we're not getting that BIG DADDY re-release now.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Captain Marvel grossed $34.27M this weekend. 17-Day total stands at $320.75M.

Sunday with a pretty serious dip, not too unexpected. Unless Friday actuals are down it’s a 3.71 IM, which is fine but lower than I hoped. Journey to 400/CW/IM3/WW remains interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

So dom they overestimated CM by ~ 3/4m, and OS underestimated by ... more then $2m

I read that as 3 or 4m instead of three-fourths before I looked at the numbers and was very concerned for a moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Dom estimate was $35,021,000

Actual is $34.27M

The slash symbol you used in 3/4 is more often used to indicate "or" than a fraction in common writing, that's where the confusion stemmed from. So it reads as "3 or 4" or "3 to 4" instead of "three-fourths."

Edited by Djsoke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Djsoke said:

I read that as 3 or 4m instead of three-fourths before I looked at the numbers and was very concerned for a moment. 

hmmm I was not aware about others not using e.g. 0.5 = 1/2  or 0.75 = 3/4... here its more typical to write/speak 3/4, counts on especial in cases of 0.25 or 1/4  steps and 1/2 steps, than 0.25 or 0.5

Only counts for visualisation / presentation and day-to-day speaking, not for doing actually calculations....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Djsoke said:

The slash symbol you used in 3/4 is more often used to indicate "or" than a fraction in common writing, that's where the confusion stemmed from. So it reads as "3 or 4" or "3 to 4" instead of "three-fourths."

Then I would write as e.g. $5m-$6m

Here the slash is used as 3parts of 4parts as the keyboards do not have the other 2 possibilities to show it here  ¾  or like this 03-bruchzahlen110~_v-img__16__9__m_-4423

(but I learned it in the 3/4 way in the '60 in school too)

Edited by terrestrial

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

hmmm I was not aware about others not using e.g. 0.5 = 1/2  or 0.75 = 3/4... here its more typical to write/speak 3/4, counts on especial in cases of 0.25 or 1/4  steps and 1/2 steps, than 0.25 or 0.5

Only counts for visualisation / presentation and day-to-day speaking, not for doing actually calculations....

Yeah I figured it was something like that. Basically, the slash is used to indicate an implicit inclusive "or" in common writing here. Like, someone might say "He was driving a dark blue/black van" where the slash indicates the possibility of either instead of using an "or." It's even more commonly used for estimating numbers. You'll hear people say "there were like 20, 30 people there" and that will be written as "20/30 people."

Fractions still can be used, but it's usually about a proportion of a whole instead of a specific number, so its followed by "of." "3/4 of the people were sick."  Specific numbers almost never have fractions applied to them, and if they do, it's usually put into words. Instead of "1/4 million was raised," someone would say "A quarter-million" or ".25 million." 

Because the use of a fraction typically indications proportion of a total, there are very few uses when referring to a specific number or value, when reading 3/4 by itself, it would typically be interpreted as either "3 or 4" or "75%," not the value of .75 

Edited by Djsoke
  • Thanks 1