Eric Loves Rey

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Haha, nah BOT isn't trolled in the slightest. We would just refer to the trades for numbers or talk amongst ourselves about numbers and every so often someone would say "Over at Box Office Theory the source is saying x number for the weekend". Finally I came over to see for myself and the rest is history! I came over for Rogue One's opening weekend. Would have liked to have been here for Age of Ultron. We were having meltdowns over at SHH! I learned a tough box office lesson after that.

AoU's OW thread was one of the most depressing OW threads. The OD going down from 100 steadily. 😢

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Makes sense. I first came here because when we discussed box office for Star Wars/comic book movies at SuperHeroHype this site was often referenced.

That's how I came here too. BOT was always referenced on other forums for box office numbers. I came over when Wonder Woman opened. Thankfully I missed out on SS and BVS opening weekend threads. 

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Like or hating a movie is not an opinion (that a day to day language shortcut), it is a taste, no one would ever try (outside in a joky way) try to convince you that you like chocolate if you do not like it.

Opinion is somewhat different than taste, the way to distinguish opinion from taste, to be an opinion it must be possible for it to be wrong, it could be almost impossible to determine it or highly subjective, but must be possible to be wrong.

For example:

1) I like that humanity accomplished the mission to go to the moon. (taste)

2) It was a net benefit for humans to go to the moon (opinion)

I would not go over all the discussion (but maybe I will), but is it possible that it didn't started with a : Back from US, didn't work for me.

But someone expressed what he perceived issue with the movie and people arguing over are those really significant issue, bad artistic choice, etc....

Quote ? Was it someone saying: you has someone that liked Movie 43 should stop expressing yourself on message board, everything you say is useless pollution knowing your taste or you person that like Movie 43 should know how taste can vary a little bit (using movie 43 for a movie I liked very much that people in general seem to have deeply hated)..

You sre too smart for the internet.

• Like 1

I have accumulated a table listing movies with opening weekend % of total gross filter from smallest to largest (smallest being the best) for only movies who have grossed over 100m in their first theater run and only movies that have their opening weekend listed in BOM. I have counted only movies with under 20%. Using this I have listed 205 movies from JAWS to The Upside. 

Can I make a thread for the list or just post them here under spoilers? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, El Gato said:

That's how I came here too. BOT was always referenced on other forums for box office numbers. I came over when Wonder Woman opened. Thankfully I missed out on SS and BVS opening weekend threads. 

BvS is when I joined, and then I didn’t come back for a few months lol 

19 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's okay. I didn't like it much either and I certainly didn't love Us. But, more than happy to see the box office blowing up.

Nothing they can't fix in Endgame and the sequel for Cap Marv. Ton riding on it. Played it pretty safe. 

Eh, Wondy deserved,

But here's hoping. It was just a such a mess to me.

70 Million.   Breaking Records.  Jordan continues to Peel off those Box Office receipts, lol.  Again, more risk, more original storytelling.  Audiences still want something fresh.  Great Opening for an original concept.   Captain Marvel is doing just fine to me.  I think Female leads in Super Hero Films has come a long way at the box office since Electra and Catwoman under performed decades ago.   Was there a possible a defacto "Endgame" Bump?  Maybe but it still doing the numbers it had to do.   Everything else held decent I guess.  

• Haha 1

I have this friend whose "taste" in movies is so out of wack he would get soooo many :notcool: reactions. Basically, he thinks he's too good for any blockbuster except one that's directed by Nolan (fine... Nolan's a good director but, really?) 

For probably the fifth time he's done this, he was complaining to me about the MIB International trailer, and how they feature "from the director of Fate of the Furious" and literally goes off about how "directing a movie like that is just embarrassing idk why they would want to advertise that" and how "instead, they should say something like from the cinematographer of The Piano, at least that way it'll make smart people interested". 

Has he ever seen the Piano? Ha, certainly not, he couldn't even tell me who was in it or what it was about, just that he looked it up on IMDB. 

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I have this friend whose "taste" in movies is so out of wack he would get soooo many :notcool: reactions. Basically, he thinks he's too good for any blockbuster except one that's directed by Nolan (fine... Nolan's a good director but, really?) 

For probably the fifth time he's done this, he was complaining to me about the MIB International trailer, and how they feature "from the director of Fate of the Furious" and literally goes off about how "directing a movie like that is just embarrassing idk why they would want to advertise that" and how "instead, they should say something like from the cinematographer of The Piano, at least that way it'll make smart people interested". 

Has he ever seen the Piano? Ha, certainly not, he couldn't even tell me who was in it or what it was about, just that he looked it up on IMDB. 

Lots of people like thinking watching dramas or indie movies makes them smart and cultured instead the way a lot of people talk about it they come off as pretentious. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Lots of people like thinking watching dramas or indie movies makes them smart and cultured instead the way a lot of people talk about it they come off as pretentious. 

And it very rarely coming out of the mouth of very successful people.

• Like 2

Gloria Bell has a 45% Audience Rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Here's one of the user film "reviews" being allowed to drag the score down:

"Holy cow is Julianna Moore hot! Great face and killer bod with nice boobs; and you get to see those girls - a lot. Other than that, not much of a reason to see the movie. Turtollo was totally wrong for the part. Bad casting in spades. The script was poorly written and directed. The music was good, at least."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1